PDA

View Full Version : Slides

Jx2
October 20th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Hey guys Ive been thinking about picking up a Dunlop Joe Perry Boneyard. No one localy carries man slides and when I do find one they are normaly in a blister package so I cant try them on. I dont want to buy one to small but Im worried about getting one to big as well. Is there a measuring chat in general for slides? Most seem to be sized small, med and large.

piebaldpython
October 21st, 2010, 09:39 AM
Well.....there's a couple different ways you can do this....take your pick.

1 Do you have a socket wrench (esp. spark plug sockets) set at home? Try different sockets and see which one goes on easily.

2 Go to a Home Depot type store with an accurate ruler and go down to where they have pieces of copper tubing. Put your finger in the different pieces and when it goes in easily, measure the inside diameter.

What finger were you planning on using? I don't have experience with the Dunlop Joe Perry Boneyard.

Jx2
October 21st, 2010, 10:04 AM
Most likely the ring

piebaldpython
October 21st, 2010, 11:46 AM
I would say the average size for a male ring finger is in the neighborhood of 3/4" (19 mm). You can work from there.

There's lots of slide makers out there and you can do-it-yourself depending on the material.

Zip
October 21st, 2010, 05:05 PM
The Boneyard slide is ceramic. My opinion, sounds like crap. Use Piebald's suggestion of a chrome socket. That's what Lowell George used, and he sounded pretty damn good. Cheaper than the Boneyard slide, too.

I like the warmth of glass slides. I've made plenty out of various bottles over the years, but a 5-buck glass slide from the music shop is easier & sounds as good :)

hubberjub
October 21st, 2010, 09:15 PM
I use my pinky for slide and typically use brass. I used to use glass but I like the sustain that the brass slide provided. I have never used a ceramic slide so I can't comment on it's tone. I would steer away from the Boneyard though. No offense to Joe, but most products like that are just a marketing ploy. Go grab a Dunlop and be happy.

Jx2
October 21st, 2010, 09:24 PM
It looked like both of Dunlops ceramic slides are a "sig series". I might just go w/a cheap glass one or a socket for now, and go from there. Im just curious how you sized one if ordering.

piebaldpython
October 21st, 2010, 10:34 PM
I had said to use the socket to measure your finger, not to slide with.

That being said, slide stalwarts like Lowell George, Rory Block and IIRC, Joe Walsh have used them. Takes some work though to cut off the socket end.

I have slides/tone bars made from steel, glass bottles, brass, lead crystal, ceramic and stoneware. DO NOT buy one of those cheapo $5 glass slides made from Pyrex.

I think Dunlop makes a Coricidin bottle that might be passable.