PDA

View Full Version : Can your local radio station do that..?

poodlesrule
October 21st, 2010, 09:34 AM
I spend some time on Cape Cod working on a property, which will be home soon - I hope, so I can get all my music stuff in ONE place, and not have to buy TWO of everything!

There a local community radio featuring a lot of various styles of music, with
not one, or two, but *three* outstanding blues programs, sometimes playing the most obscure stuff..!

The station streams (http://www.womr.org/) on the net.

Do check the blues stuff out!
T Bird’s Music Ride on alternate Thurdsays
Jack Cole's The Old Country Blues Buffet, early Sunday afternoon
Mulligan's Stew late Sunday afternoon
(and a bunch of worthy stuff, from traditional Irish to Cajun/Zydeco!)

Earlier today, I was wiring something in the basement and I heard Ain't Nobody's Business.. I had to stop working it was so gripping! Unfortunately I didn't catch the artist's name, but will find out!

This is such a fixture for us, the Cape would not be the same without it, and it already prompted me to get involved with helping the local music scene.

R_of_G
October 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM
Tampa also has an excellent community radio station, WMNF, which features music programs covering myriad styles and time periods as well as several excellent local and national public affairs shows. The station also promotes numerous live shows in the area, bringing artists like Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings and Sonny Landreth here several times over the last few years.

They stream full-time and can be found on the web here:

http://www.wmnf.org/listen

Spudman
October 21st, 2010, 10:14 PM
You are so lucky. I just drove 2 and a half hours and had to listen to the same songs that I've been listening to for the last 30 years. I envy you. Our radio stations are terrible.

Katastrophe
October 21st, 2010, 10:20 PM
Programming here sucks.

The classic rock stations edit out solos, and don't have much variety. It's the same 2 or three hours of music repeated... all day long.

The contemporary stations are worse. Heavy rotation for a few bands, and not much else.

No blues, jazz, or decent programming anywhere to be found. Tig, you know of any good Houston stations?

Bloozcat
October 22nd, 2010, 06:53 AM
Did you know that Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, et al only did three songs each in their entire careers? And did you know that they and just a handful of other bands were the only bands of the entire rock and roll era?

That's what the (few) radio stations here seem to think.

Music radio is dead for the most part. Yeah, there are some bright spots here and there but overwhelmingly they've lost it. They're out of touch with their (former) audiences and they don't seem to give a crap about it. Gee, I wonder why CD sales continue to drop every year? Did people stop listening to music? No, they stopped listening to the crap that the radio stations and record industry keep pushing.

Thank goodness for the internet. The last bastion of real, creative, music.

R_of_G
October 22nd, 2010, 06:57 AM
Did you know that Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, et al only did three songs each in their entire careers? And did you know that they and just a handful of other bands were the only bands of the entire rock and roll era?

Between so-called "classic rock radio" and "Greatest Hits" albums, it's pretty sad how few people actually know more than a handful of songs by artists that have vast catalogs of great music.

wingsdad
October 22nd, 2010, 07:19 AM
Satellite radio does what free radio generally doesn't anymore.