PDA

View Full Version : Zakk Wylde on his sounds in Guitar Extra

deeaa
October 21st, 2010, 11:10 PM
No wonder I always liked Zakk's sounds, although he uses too much drive for my taste many times. But still, he seems to have very similar tastes in gear...I'm sure I'd feel right at home playing his rig. This is from the GE mag:

"...my signature head and the JCM800 2203X 100-watt head going through 200-watt EVs. The only thing I do effects-wise is go through the Dunlop pedals: The Black Label Chorus, the MXR ZW-44 Wylde Overdrive, the MXR EVH Eddie Van Halen Phase 90, the MXR EVH-117 Eddie Flanger, the Dunlop Rotovibe, and a wah-wah pedal. Literally, a 15-year-old could have my rig. It's not like I have some insane rig where it's like, "Oh, man, I wish I could get Eddie's sound." With mine, you can just go buy a JCM800 and put 6550 groove tubes in it."

"The EMGs are definitely a huge part of the sound, because of the active pickups. Some of my friends like the passive EMGs, but for me, I remember years ago when I first played the active EMGs and I couldn't believe how much louder my friend's guitar was and how much better my Marshall sounded with the active ones. It sounded punchier, and it sounded like somebody just took a blanket off the front of the speakers. It smoked my guitar. Ever since then, I put those in my Les Pauls, and I can't believe the difference in tone."

FrankenFretter
October 21st, 2010, 11:33 PM
I do love Zakk's sound. Maybe an LP with actives is in the cards for me someday. I know BCDon loves his Blackouts in his Zakk Wylde LP. By the way, in case I haven't mentioned this before, that thing is amazing. I love that maple neck, and the action is so low, it almost plays itself.

marnold
October 22nd, 2010, 08:56 AM
I don't mind Zakk's tone, except that I hate how his pinch harmonics sound. They sound like there's no high end at all. I prefer the Lynchian screams that sound like they're going to pierce your eyeballs.

bcdon
October 22nd, 2010, 11:05 AM
I don't mind Zakk's tone, except that I hate how his pinch harmonics sound. They sound like there's no high end at all. I prefer the Lynchian screams that sound like they're going to pierce your eyeballs.
Blasphemy, Rev!! I love those pinch harmonics! To each his own, I suppose. ;-) :dude

bcdon
October 22nd, 2010, 11:07 AM
I do love Zakk's sound. Maybe an LP with actives is in the cards for me someday. I know BCDon loves his Blackouts in his Zakk Wylde LP. By the way, in case I haven't mentioned this before, that thing is amazing. I love that maple neck, and the action is so low, it almost plays itself.
The Blackouts sound way better than the passive EMG Hzs that were in it. I'm sure the active EMGs would sound great too.