PDA

View Full Version : Teton yurt setup

Spudman
October 22nd, 2010, 11:55 AM
I spent last week and this week setting up some yurts for Rendezvous Backcountry Tours in the Teton mountains. Lots of hiking and hard work but still a lot of fun.

The fall colors are really great. I hope you enjoy the slideshows.

Baldy yurt setup (http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Rendevouz%20Backcountry%20Tours/Baldy%20Yurt%20Setup/?albumview=slideshow)

Commisary yurt setup (http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Rendevouz%20Backcountry%20Tours/?albumview=slideshow)

hubberjub
October 22nd, 2010, 12:14 PM
That's awesome. I would love to have something like that for a getaway camp in the Adirondacks. Do you plan to use them as a four season shelter?

Commodore 64
October 22nd, 2010, 12:34 PM
My wife's cousin lives in a yurt with a transvestite clown. This is not a joke. Therefore, my opinion of yurts is permanently affected. I'm not thread crapping about your yurts, but I thought this is something you should know.

Which came first the Yurt or the clown? I don't know. Be vigilant, for the yurt may cause strange behaviors.

R_of_G
October 22nd, 2010, 12:44 PM
Spud, those pictures are absolutely beautiful. I'd love to have a place like that in the mountains to just go and read and play music and look at all that natural beauty. Thanks for posting.

Spudman
October 22nd, 2010, 01:58 PM
Do you plan to use them as a four season shelter?

They are usually just up from late October until June when the ground is dry enough to go in and take them down.

My wife's cousin lives in a yurt with a transvestite clown. Therefore, my opinion of yurts is permanently affected.

Ha ha. All yurts are full of clowns...sitting in the corners.

Ch0jin
October 22nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
I had to look just to see if a yurt was what I thought it was :)

When I was in Mongolia they called them a Ger, but looks like the exact same thing.

I was looking through your photo's and was kind struck by how similar the countryside looked to this photo I took of the Ger i stayed in out in the Mongolian countryside..

Check it out, you could almost slot it right into your set :)

Picture :) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ch0jin/4453013855/in/set-72157623544451257/lightbox/)

Robert
October 22nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
I never heard of a yurt. I thought it sounded kinda dirty, so I had to check this thread, naturally. :)

So why are you setting these things up? Is it for hikers? Who owns them? Is this a job for you (are you getting paid)? More info please! :D

sunvalleylaw
October 22nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Hi Robert,

Yurts are an ancient portable shelter. Cho references the ger, they are the same thing, and are of mongolian origin. I believe they were used by the Huns way back when. They are often used modernly in snow country for back country shelter for skiers, cyclists, hikers, snowshoers etc. They are often rented out by trekking, snowshoeing or backcountry outfitters that operate them as a business. The outfitter receives a permit to operate, and rents out the shelters to families, etc. who are enjoying the great out of doors. They often are outfitted with beds or bunks, pot belly stoves for warmth and cooking facilities. They have a bunch around the Sun Valley area too. My family uses them every year. It is a back country experience, but less brutal than trying to camp in the snow.

Jimi75
October 22nd, 2010, 04:18 PM
Wow, the landscape look awesome. The yurt looks like the kind of tent the Mongolian people use to live in, at least the round top reminded me of these.

Spudman
October 22nd, 2010, 04:37 PM
I never heard of a yurt. I thought it sounded kinda dirty, so I had to check this thread, naturally. :)
Naturally. :socool That's why I was attracted to them too.:messedup:

So why are you setting these things up? Is it for hikers? Who owns them? Is this a job for you (are you getting paid)? More info please! :D

My friends own a company Rendezvous Backcountry Tours (http://www.skithetetons.com/), and they get a permit from the US Forest Service every year to operate 4 yurts in the Teton mountains. Everything else is pretty much what Sunvalleylaw says.

Mostly these yurts are used by their clients who are skiers. In the shoulder seasons they can be rented by anyone. It's a nice shelter and location to venture out on exploration trips and comeback to a semi-civilized structure to sleep and eat in each night.

Spudman
October 22nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
I was looking through your photo's and was kind struck by how similar the countryside looked to this photo I took of the Ger i stayed in out in the Mongolian countryside..

Check it out, you could almost slot it right into your set :)

Picture :) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ch0jin/4453013855/in/set-72157623544451257/lightbox/)

Holy Sh!t! Mongolia looks just like Idaho...or, Idaho looks just like Mongolia.

Those are some great photos Ch0jin

Robert
October 22nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
Are these huts locked? And if you pay a fee you get a key? Or how does this work?

sunvalleylaw
October 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Nope, the ones in Sun Valley (as opposed to those Spud was setting up) are not locked. You reserve through the outfitter. In Spud's case, they are used for guided trips as he said. The ones around here are regularly maintained by outfitter, but you are expected to leave it as good (or better) than you found it. Fortunately, most people are good about it, and they are remote enough, most no good vandals, etc. don't want to hike/ski/snowshoe/whatever in.

street music
October 24th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Man those are great shots ! I just got a new Nikon D3100 Digital SLR and I'm looking forward to traveling some in the near future to take some great photos. We have never traveled to the west US.