PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Blues Guitar Lesson

Robert
October 24th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Check this one out, I love playing this style.

jffkpXMi2yI

tjcurtin1
October 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Sweet lick, Robert - thanks! I love this style, too, so it will be nice to learn a little something of it.

Robert
October 24th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Cheers Ted, hope you can get something out of it.

sumitomo
October 24th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Good stuff Robert,I've been playin alot of Little Charlie and the Nightcats at work lately,I think it's (LABELED)(I don't like labeling music)West Coast Jump Blues ect.,but I really like this style,gets ya boping.Good lesson!Sumi:D

sunvalleylaw
October 24th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Cool! As you know, I love mixing jazz into the blues. I like it!

Robert
October 25th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks, glad to hear!

This lick works well over a standard blues progression with a quickchange, starting on bar 1 (although the first note comes in the "4 and" before beat 1, bar 1).

R_of_G
October 25th, 2010, 10:34 AM
You had to know I'd like that one. Thanks Robert.

ps. Very nice tone as well.

Robert
October 25th, 2010, 11:02 AM
You had to know I'd like that one. Thanks Robert.

ps. Very nice tone as well.

Thanks! That was the Mack Gem at very low volume, and a bit of blueSky Reverberator. I rolled down the tone knob on the guitar a bit too, for a mellower tone.

Lev
October 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Great lick Robert and much more challenging than it first appeared. The A note on the B string after the 2 hammer ons is really tough to hit in time. You kinda need to sweep pick it (I've never mastered sweep picking). Gonna practice this one a lot. thanks!!

Robert
October 30th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Glad you enjoyed it, Lev!

sunvalleylaw
October 31st, 2010, 08:52 AM
Glad you enjoyed it, Lev!

Do you agree with Lev on the technique for hitting that note? I would like to really get this one down, and want to drill excellent technique from the beginning, rather than un-learn something later.

Robert
October 31st, 2010, 03:15 PM
There's more than one way to skin a cat. You can use the sweep technique, but in this case, I do not. The reason is I get better control with timing by doing this the "Renman Way". :)

I play the triplet (F#, A, C#) with the lead-in note E on the G string as a picked note, followed by a hammer-on. So, F# starts as a hammered-on none, and then I play the next 2 notes (A and C#) with the pick. I use a downstroke on A, and an upstroke on C#. The next note is the note E, which I play with a downstroke.

This works best for me. Try it, as well as the sweep technique, and see which gives you better control and timing.

sunvalleylaw
October 31st, 2010, 03:39 PM
Ok, thanks for the explanation. I will try both ways.