PDA

View Full Version : New tuning machine opinions wanted

syo
October 25th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I just received an order of Planet Waves Auto Trim Tuners. I'll install them this weekend and try them out but I was wondering if anyone out there uses (or has used) them? I am thinking to install them on my trem equipped Hell model and have read some good things about them. Would be nice to hear what any of you think about them too.

The design is really quite clever. Just insert the string, tighten the clamp and tune to pitch. The string is automatically cut in the process. 18-1 gear ratio.
They're not exactly cheap but if they work as advertised they might be worth it. My only concern is how well they hold tune after whacking the whammy, ummm... so to speak...

Ch0jin
October 25th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Sorry SYO, my only experience with locking tuners is with Sperzels. They don't cut the strings which would be nice, but otherwise flawless. The guitar they are on is a hardtail too so I'm afraid I can't comment on how they hack whammy whackin', but they are rock solid for what I do.

Oh, except the "d-thing" I have one of those and will be replacing it with a regular Spurzel at some point. For the messing about I have to do to get to work right I could have just tuned from E to D and back again the natural way..

Perfect Stranger
October 26th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I've used them before and they work as advertised. However, that being said.....all things being equal.....I normally buy the locking tuners from GFS. Much cheaper and work great. Granted....you will have to trim your own string ends.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Now-STAGGERED-Gotoh-style-Locking-Tuners-Sperzel-Style-String-Lock-_p_514.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Sperzel-Style-Locking-Tuners-3x3-Chrome_p_1172.html

Duffy
October 26th, 2010, 07:45 AM
A guy I know, who is also an accomplished guitar teacher, has an Prestige Ibanez new real nice blue, thin body, super-strat type guitar with Ibanez Zero friction type heavy diving tremolo and he took off the locking nut after he installed Planet Waves auto trimming tuners. He says they hold really well and really likes them. Imagine how these would speed up tuning and string changes on a Floyd Rose or Ibanez double locking tremolo.

Hope this info helps. This Ibanez Prestige is the guys main guitar and it's his baby; uses it for lessons and "plays" it. It is not a "profiler" status symbol guitar that sits around doing nothing, like a lot of Harleys. It's a player.

syo
October 26th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I've used them before and they work as advertised. However, that being said.....all things being equal.....I normally buy the locking tuners from GFS. Much cheaper and work great. Granted....you will have to trim your own string ends.

Thanks PS. Actually those look very much like the Korean/Chinese Jinho locking tuners I'm using now. I agree, they are very good. Jinho also make the Wilkinson tuners as well. Yes, I'm not sure if the Planet Waves are worth the extra $$ or not as these definitely do the job well. Personally though, I hate changing strings and these seem to make it as simple as can be. That's why I want to at least give them a try.

A guy I know, who is also an accomplished guitar teacher, has an Prestige Ibanez new real nice blue, thin body, super-strat type guitar with Ibanez Zero friction type heavy diving tremolo and he took off the locking nut after he installed Planet Waves auto trimming tuners. He says they hold really well and really likes them. Imagine how these would speed up tuning and string changes on a Floyd Rose or Ibanez double locking tremolo.

Thanks Duffy. I'm looking forward to seeing if my experience is similar. Hopefully I'll get to putting them on this weekend.

deeaa
October 26th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I dunno, I never had a tuner I would have had problems with keeping tune, even with the very cheapest crap...I think it's more to do with how you wrap the string around than the tuner itself in non-tremolo guitars at least. But those p-waves seem like they could help eliminate locks, by ways of eliminating any wrap around the post, which could be good indeed.