PDA

View Full Version : Getting creative finally

Spudman
October 25th, 2010, 10:38 PM
The last couple of days I finally got brave and dug into Cubase in an attempt to learn it well enough to get my ideas down quickly and to allow myself some creativity. Needless to say it is a daunting program...at first.

This morning I loaded up a drum bit from EZ Drummer (just learning that too) and added all the other instruments and voices. It's all me with the exception of the drums. Nothing was created until the drums started playing, and then it all happened step by step.

What do you think? Spectre of Time (http://www.box.net/shared/3v4ogqynal)

It's not done completely, obviously, I'm just looking for some feedback.

Robert
October 25th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Oh yeah! Bust my spuds! That sounds good. But we need more GUITARS! :D

Congrats on making friends with the software. I can be so great when things click, and so frustrating when it doesn't make sense.

I am excited for you that you are being creative! Keep it going now.

sunvalleylaw
October 25th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Cool! Thanks for sharing it. I like the latest changes you made to it. Fun to hear you working on something so different.

Spudman
October 25th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Oh yeah! Bust my spuds! That sounds good. But we need more GUITARS! :D

There will be more guitars in this song for sure. I just ran out of time today to do them. Thanks for the listen.

Lachy
October 25th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Nice stuff Spud, it reminds me of the early 80s, maybe tears for fears....
:thumbsup .
Well done!!

syo
October 26th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Nice Spud!
How are you liking EZ Drummer? I use it quite a bit myself as it is indeed EZ. Sounds pretty good as well.
Looking forward to more of your fine guitar playing too. What were you using for synths? Very nice early 80's synth groove you've got going there.

Jipes
October 26th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Congrats Spud, it's not my favorite style of music but I appreciate a lot the nice drum line and the cool voice ! I'm not a fan of the synth but it's really nicely done. Good mix too we can hear clearly all component (even if I would love a more edgy Bass)

deeaa
October 26th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Excellent, Spud, that's how I started...EZ Drummer that is. Now have upraded to Superior and also have a whole bunch of VST synths and Amplitube, which really took the pain out of recording guitars.

Cubase can be daunting if you dive deep into it - last time I had real problems was when I could not for the life of me figure out why I couldn't route Superior's drums to separate Cubase channels, but finally figured it out with my drummer - turns out it was just a matter of using the correct MIDI track for output.

Anyway, been using Cubase for, what, six years now, and lovin' it...you should see some of my projects that originate from like 4 years back and have gotten so complex it looks like a total mess even to me with obsolete tracks and instruments here and there and all kinds of crap, although I keep cleaning up too...but at some point it can get confusing which insert is affecting which output.

I guess I have one tip: I suggest using group channels right at the start, makes for MUCH easier final mixing, and lets you use volume curves on individual tracks and still control master track volumes freely. I use nine group channels usually.

Also, my bad habit is using too little FX sends, I tend to use inserts only not just for compressors but also all FX and that can use up CPU time something bad...

Jimi75
October 26th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Pretty proggie keys there after 1:30 Mister Spud :dude
The song has a nice groove so far, but it needs some more guitars. Good recording, very listenable. Man I love EZI drummer. Your voice and singing style reminded me a little bit of Robin Trower...hope your're not goignt to throw eggs & tomatoes at me now.

It's always great to hear the creative output of other forumers.

Spudman
October 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Yes, more guitar will be added. Thanks for the input guys.

Deeaa - does the insert or the send take more CPU? Thanks for the tip about grouping. I was just reading that yesterday.

Nice Spud!
How are you liking EZ Drummer? I What were you using for synths? Very nice early 80's synth groove you've got going there.

EZ Drummer is going to save me a lot of headache. I like being able to just get a groove for the track and then being able to go back add the appropriate fills and accents.

The keyboard is an old Ensoniq ESQ1 and the tone is Hallion, which is a Cubase plug in. I did all the keys by hand. No sequencing. And I don't even know how to play keys. Go figure.

deeaa
October 26th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Yes, more guitar will be added. Thanks for the input guys.

Deeaa - does the insert or the send take more CPU? Thanks for the tip about grouping. I was just reading that yesterday.

Yeah in that if you put a reverb in a send, you can use the same processor in many tracks, i.e. just mix in the same send on any number of tracks, it is only one instance/CPU thread then although used on many tracks. In insert each insert is it's own instance of the program...of course some stuff needs be in inserts like compressors usually, especially multibands.

Justaguyin_nc
October 26th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Im a spuds fan.. :rockya

Although not my kind of music, I thought the vocals had a great blend to them. You can sing anytime in the choir!!

There was some sort of second thump/drum? in my right ear that kinda distracted me from the song. kinda like a echo thump.. might just be me..
I think it' s the da da thump drum beat..it seems to get washed after 2:00 if that makes sense? but again..it's not my type music so it may belong there.
I look forward to hearing more guitars!

Overall..a potato mashterpiece! :applause

Spudman
October 26th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Now with more guitar
http://www.box.net/shared/cth3j91qyc

helliott
October 26th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Outstanding. Love the technology -- sounds very high end. Nice tune and axework too, and the vocals are strong. What's next for this tune? Pretty impressive for an early effort on the software. Is Cubebase what you recommend for getting started?

Spudman
October 26th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Outstanding. Love the technology -- sounds very high end. Nice tune and axework too, and the vocals are strong. What's next for this tune? Pretty impressive for an early effort on the software. Is Cubebase what you recommend for getting started?

Thanks for the kind feedback Helliott.
Next for the tune will be changing up some of the drum parts, adding more verses, a few other tweaks and then mastering.

My version of Cubase is a full professional program. There are others out there that do the same things. Some are easier to understand, some are harder, it just depends on how your brain is wired. I started with the baby version of Cubase and eventually splurged for the full version when the price was right. I'm glad that I did.

All programs of this type have a substantial learning curve. What was recomended to me was "get one program and stick with it. You'll get to know it inside and out and that will allow you to do whatever it is you want with the program." Good advice if you ask me. So far I'm very happy with Cubase, but it took the Idiot's Guide to Recording With Cubase to get me comfortable.

sunvalleylaw
October 26th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Very nice! A wunnerful, a wunnerful, a wunnerful! (That made me think of old folks in a Lawrence Welk audience swaying to this out on his dance floor. Weird image. Ha Ha!) But really, this piece is cool that way, you can start to get lost in it a little and let it take you somewhere. Very cool!

Jimi75
October 27th, 2010, 01:34 AM
But really, this piece is cool that way, you can start to get lost in it a little and let it take you somewhere.

You have put my first thought into words! Thanks Steve.

Big improvement with more guitars.

deeaa
October 27th, 2010, 01:39 AM
My version of Cubase is a full professional program. There are others out there that do the same things. Some are easier to understand, some are harder, it just depends on how your brain is wired. I started with the baby version of Cubase and eventually splurged for the full version when the price was right. I'm glad that I did.

All programs of this type have a substantial learning curve. What was recomended to me was "get one program and stick with it. You'll get to know it inside and out and that will allow you to do whatever it is you want with the program." Good advice if you ask me. So far I'm very happy with Cubase, but it took the Idiot's Guide to Recording With Cubase to get me comfortable.

Well said...I think Cubase is one of the clearest in terms of colour and grouping, and has very little controls in view by default...also if you have any idea of using hardware mixers it makes a lot of sense and is simple.

Compared to competition, ProTools is much more of a computer interface IMO with confusing color schemes, and stuff like Adobe Audition is chock full of knobs and such every which way...

Well I just like Cubase and felt like home with it from the start. If you can get someone to give you a 15-minute hands-on tour on it, I bet it can be totally understood with that. A book might work similarly.

syo
October 27th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Now with more guitar
http://www.box.net/shared/cth3j91qyc
You should be doing more of this. The piece is coming together nicely. From 2:00 to about 2:30 or so you seemed to be channeling Steve Hackett. Not copying mind you but I felt some of his spirit. Bravo!

Spudman
October 28th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Here is the third version. It's pretty different from version 1 in my first post. Check it out.
http://www.box.net/shared/i4031bvu48

Lachy
October 28th, 2010, 07:09 PM
wow, great stuff!. It's lost that tears for fears feel, now has a Techno/RichieBRainbow? feel, lol, not that it has to sound like anyone else that's just what I do:thwap
Not my style, but I do like what you've done spud and the mix/engineering side of it is sounding 'slick as' mate.:applause
Will there be some Spud backing tracks coming out soon?

piebaldpython
October 29th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Spud......Kudos for trying something different. I really like the drum and vocals. Just my personal taste.....but I could do without the synth and techno-feel of the tune. Interesting final guitar work and I think it fit perfectly.

otaypanky
October 29th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Tateriffic!!!

helliott
October 30th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Love the fully produced feeling of this version. Sounds great.

SuperSwede
October 31st, 2010, 03:27 AM
Here is the third version. It's pretty different from version 1 in my first post. Check it out.
http://www.box.net/shared/i4031bvu48
:digit :hungry :dude :rockya

Very nice!

Ch0jin
October 31st, 2010, 03:40 AM
That was really cool, I totally dig it. There's some borderline goth/metal sounds in there too :)

What I must say is the production is fantastic! Really good job.

Justaguyin_nc
October 31st, 2010, 09:00 AM
WOW

:applause taterlicious!!! :applause

did I say..WOW

Spudman
October 31st, 2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks guys. The encouragement is much appreciated. There is another re equalized version coming soon.

sunvalleylaw
October 31st, 2010, 01:43 PM
Sounds great! I enjoyed watching this project.

Blaze
October 31st, 2010, 02:07 PM
That's realy cool mr. Patate !! :rockya

jpfeifer
November 4th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Spudman,

Sounds Great! I know how hard it can be to bring all of this technology together to make your song come together. It can force you to use both sides of your brain (the technie side, and the artist side).

The guitar solo rips! this sounds great! I love the tone and the modal sound that you're using. The harmonized parts sound cool also. I like how the synth takes over the solo at the end of the guitar solo.

Great job.

I use EZ Drummer also. I'm a huge fan of it. You can get some very convincing sounding drum parts with it, and it doesn't talk back, always shows up on time, doesn't overplay unless you want it to, and never has it's drum kit at the pawn shop :-)

--Jim

Spudman
November 4th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Spudman,

Sounds Great! I know how hard it can be to bring all of this technology together to make your song come together. It can force you to use both sides of your brain (the technie side, and the artist side).

The guitar solo rips! this sounds great! I love the tone and the modal sound that you're using. The harmonized parts sound cool also. I like how the synth takes over the solo at the end of the guitar solo.

Great job.

I use EZ Drummer also. I'm a huge fan of it. You can get some very convincing sounding drum parts with it, and it doesn't talk back, always shows up on time, doesn't overplay unless you want it to, and never has it's drum kit at the pawn shop :-)

--Jim

Thanks Jim.

I am enjoying EZ Drummer quite a bit. Being able to have each mic/drum on separate tracks is really useful to achieving a great drum track (which I might be able to do one day).

The possibilities are endless really. What I've noticed since I started doing this project is that now I pay attention to how things sound and are mixed, their timber etc. Also, arrangement and song construction. It really is an eye opening experience...especially with cut and paste.

jpfeifer
November 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Yes, exactly. When you start putting your own songs together and playing the producer role it really makes you begin to listen to the other parts more carefully, rather than just focusing so much on your guitar playing. Since I got involved in recording it has helped me to see how important it is listen to the way in which the parts sound together, leaving room for each other. It's also helped me to see how important it is to play meaningful parts that add something to the song. I started to appreciate recordings where the parts meshed together really well (I'm still impressed with what the Beatles could do with only 4 tracks). I find myself listening to recordings differently now, trying to identify what kind of guitars and keyboard sounds they used, what kinds of effects are on them, etc. It also made me change the way I play in a live situation, such as changing up my sound slightly during a chorus section as compared to the verse section, because I started to realize how important that was in recording, to make a section of the song stand out more, etc.

I've also become less tollerant of people that overplay and fill up all the space in live groups, rather than listening to each other and making room for all the various parts.

Great job on your track!

--Jim

NWBasser
November 9th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Very nice work Spud!

Needs more bass!;)

MAXIFUNK
November 9th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Very nice work Spud!

Needs more bass!;)

PLUS 1