PDA

View Full Version : Very nice Telecaster Esquire solo - For What It's Worth

Duffy
October 26th, 2010, 06:25 AM
You might want to see an Esquire in the hands of a master playing a classic song that actually means something plus has some totally masterful leads in it:

2Y16iDqQiVg&feature=related

Beautiful Esquire, beautiful song. The song is about, if you don't know, a time a lot of us here lived thru, although many didn't. A lot of times you didn't know what was about to come down - I got drafted, one of the last ones drafted. A lot of why "wasn't exactly clear", as in the song. A lot of things were opaque, mysterious, hard to understand, and affected "you". These things had a tendency to make you - think, in many cases. Think real hard. Try to figure it out. Try to make it thru to the other side of the tunnel.

It's still not clear what's going on a lot of the time, again; but I still try to see, feel, catch the vibe - I'm still sensitive to it. Something some of us can't forget I guess. Like Hendrix asked: "Are You Experienced?". "Sometimes experience teaches us things we wish we didn't know." (unknown).

Really a nice Esquire, played really well, to a great song - I must digress.

I'm sure that is a "real" classic Esquire in Steve Stills hands. Hand picked or received as a gift - a real "special" Esquire.

Hope you liked the video and excuse my rambling digressive flashback.

Sort of a follow up song, with some other real nice guitars, including an old White Falcon:

HiDOMuhpqUo

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Found this online:

In the book Neil Young: Long May You Run: The Illustrated History, Stephen Stills tells the story of this song's origin:

"I had had something kicking around in my head. I wanted to write something about the kids that were on the line over in Southeast Asia that didn't have anything to do with the device of this mission, which was unraveling before our eyes. Then we came down to Sunset from my place on Topanga with a guy - I can't remember his name - and there's a funeral for a bar, one of the favorite spots for high school and UCLA kids to go and dance and listen to music.
[Officials] decided to call out the official riot police because there's three thousand kids sort of standing out in the street; there's no looting, there's no nothing. It's everybody having a hang to close this bar. A whole company of black and white LAPD in full Macedonian battle array in shields and helmets and all that, and they're lined up across the street, and I just went 'Whoa! Why are they doing this?' There was no reason for it. I went back to Topanga, and that other song turned into 'For What It's Worth,' and it took as long to write as it took me to settle on the changes and write the lyrics down. It all came as a piece, and it took about fifteen minutes."

guitarhack
October 26th, 2010, 05:36 PM
One of my all time favorites. Both the song and the musician. Thanks for posting!

Duffy
October 26th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Really nice Esquire too. I bet that is real old.

Yeah, and that song really encompasses some of the vibes that were actually going down back in the old days. A lot of walls came down. I don't think a lot of people understand just how many walls came down. I know they don't teach kids about it in school - isn't that laughable? To even think the institutionalized, professorial history textbook writers would get that vibe right - not going to happen. There's a fail-safe mechanism preventing that reality from walking the halls.

Kids would have to read other books to learn about those times; listen to some "old school" songs, talk to old foggies and explore other avenues that not many can find the pathway to, or, more prevalently, aren't even faintly interested in.

Luckily these very beautiful old songs carry on the vibes if you care to listen to them. They replaced the textbooks everybody knew wouldn't be written.