PDA

View Full Version : What benefits have you played?

Brian Krashpad
October 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM
What charities/causes, etc. have you done benefits for, as a musician or other performer? I play in church every week, but that's not specifically a fundraiser per se.

I've done batches of these over the years Very often clusterf*cks, but they sure teach you how to roll with the punches.

Anyhow, mine include:

Habitat for Humanity
Civic Media Center (local alternative press reading room/library/showspace)-- did several of these
Mission India (this is upcoming on this Friday, actually)
National Organization for Women
The Shamrock (local club in need of PA upgrades)
Free Radio Gainesville (local pirate microbroadcasters, before such was legalized)-- two of these
American Red Cross 9/11 Disaster Relief
Krieger's Warehouse (local DIY showspace)
Gainesville High School Video Club
HOME Van (local homeless outreach)-- one show, and appeared on 2 different compilation CD's
HempFest (local marijuana legalization group)
Also, have done a couple memorial shows, one for a local cop, one for a local bartender

And you? Any good stories?

Spudman
October 26th, 2010, 11:20 PM
It seems all the gigs I've done have been benefits...for someone other than me.

I did play at Flood Aid. That was an outdoor event to raise money for the victims of the Yellowstone flood in Billings Montana. Also did some smaller gigs WAY in my past for municipal charities and some national organizations like MS and Cancer fund raisers. I don't really like doing them because the pay isn't very good usually.

The really good stories I have I probably can't tell here on the family forum. Just use your imagination and you'll probably be pretty close.

Jimi75
October 27th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I have done a lot of benefit work when I worked for Fender. Especially for the German Children Cancer Help Foundation.

With my band we played benefit gigs for:
Homeless people in our city
For the rebuild of a child home in our city
concert for woman that have been circumsised
Tsunami victims
Every kid needs a breakfast foundation

A bunch of work with the gospel choir in our community, for e.g. a concert for poor kids in Brazil.