PDA

View Full Version : Gibby China? Wild speculation flying around the intarwebz.

Katastrophe
October 26th, 2010, 08:36 PM
While lurking around on a couple other forums, there have been posts relating to a Gibson mailer that references a "revolution" in the music world... Further research (read: more intarwebz lurking) seems to lean towards a $300 - $500 Chinese Gibson Les Paul studio model, complete with a USB port and cable and budget recording software.

If it's true, (and that's a big IF) I think this would be a smart move for Gibson
as long as quality can remain consistent.

Again, if it's true, I think this is also a move to combat the rampant Chinese counterfeiting that's going on. The counterfeiters are getting pretty darn good, and are expanding at a rapid rate.

Gibby was on the right track with the 50s Tribute Studios... Could they be becoming more price conscious? One would hope so!

Again, this info is NOT confirmed, and probably won't be until the official announcement on Thursday... Just figured a little speculation might be fun!

hubberjub
October 26th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I've seen similar theories. Gibson is supposedly making a big announcement tomorrow. Personally, I don't see any reason why they should be making more affordable Gibsons abroad. Isn't Epiphone there for that very reason?

Tig
October 26th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Well, Gibson will have to make better Gibson copies than the existing Gibson copiers, like Agile!
Oh, the whole thing looks so silly when you look at it that way!

otaypanky
October 26th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Gibson is rumored to have Agile knock offs in the works - ssshhhhh!
It's a secret!

Katastrophe
October 26th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Well played, Bob, well played! :)

I think it's sort of similar to what Gibby did in Japan with the Orville and open book headstock Epis... They didn't (and couldn't) stop the copies like they did here in the States, so they cashed in on the Les Paul name at a more affordable price and got some market share back.

There is a segment of the guitar buying public that is willing to pass up on quality for a brand name, headstock design, and "correct" cutaway. It's more familiar, and a great number of guitar heroes played Gibbies... Don't count out the emotional reaction to a guitar design from someone who is new to guitar, or just wants something sorta similar to what his/her hero played.

I wonder what the hardcore Gibby faithful is going to do when this comes out. Do you think there will be rejection as it's not MIA, or acceptance because it'll have "Gibson" on the headstock?

deeaa
October 26th, 2010, 09:42 PM
LOL it does make sense...I always thought Gibbys are crazy expensive, I could have a much better hand-built Les Paul for under half what they cost factory-made. I had a Standard myself for 13 years and liked it very much but in the end, although I hand-picked mine as best from a dozen different Standards, it wasn't in any way superior to any other well built guitar. Of course it was very well done; in 13 years I never had to do a fret job on it for instance, and it had no dead spots or anything, pickups were good and all around it was a great guitar.

BUT I have played several guitars that were just as good or better in some respects, that cost around 600 brand new and under 400 used. It just makes no sense to me any more to pay for the brand. Sold my Standard for 1600 and that gave me money to buy a great amp and four guitars that each were superior to my Standard at least in some respects.