PDA

View Full Version : In General

Jx2
October 27th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Do you guys feel that some of the cheaper not well known lower end brands have caught up to equal status to the lower end big boy stuff? Reason I ask is because since joining a few forums it seems like most of the Rondo stuff is equal or better to say their Epiphone and/or Squier counter parts amoung others. It has me wanting a Agile AL in a silver burst finish, compaire the price point to Epip Silver burst and you'll see why. As well as Id like to have a strat and tele and Im really leaning towards the SX line. However at the same time, I was messing around yesterday at a local shop with a Corbin LP copy. The owner of course went on and on about this $230 guitar. I really like the guitar he told me he'd like to add a few more used guitars because he's had several people looking for used stuff basicaly with known names on the head stock. Im going to go back today and try to help him out I think. I have 2 hanging on the wall that I just do not play. So we'll see what happens.

The point of this basically is do you guys beleive there is other more economy friendly brands out there besides the Rondo guitars? If so what? I do think that Woods Instruments a Hofner corporation makes a very affordable acoustic and mandolin. But the other guitar in the Rondo price point that you find local in my parts is Excel which I beleive are at the very best a ok beginner guitar but anyone that has asked me about one Ive told them to go get a Squier Bullet. Which now if Im asked Im going to tell them to go SX. If you've found one share please.

Commodore 64
October 27th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I believe that for 200-$250 dollars you can get a fantastic used guitar that if set-up properly (maybe fret -leveled too) can rival any expensive guitar regardless of brand or manufacturing origin.

I believe that brand does not matter.

I believe that scarf joints are actually stronger than single piece necks for gibson type head-stocks

I believe there will always be room for personal preference of neck shape, fret-type, fingerboard type, and body style and hence brand.

Heywood Jablomie
October 27th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I tend to lump together Asian-made guitars, regardless of name. And of course, some factories make guitars with different names. Often, we have no idea who actually manufactures some guitars. The Korean stuff, overall, seems to be made better. That being said, there is a wide range in quality among all of these, some of which are (or appear to be) incredible bargains. For sure, there's a premium charged for the name on the headstock. As far as I'm concerned, anything other than a Gibson LP is a LP copy (including Epiphone), and should be treated as such. There are simply a lot of very nice, very playable Asian guitars, some of which are very inexpensive, especially when compared to the big names like Squier and Epiphone.

Eric
October 27th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I don't have many names for you other than Agile, but if you're looking at used stuff, a lot of prices drop like a rock due to lack of name recognition. My personal fave right now is Godin. Dean, Peavey, and a lot of others are also pretty cheap used.

Basically, I think most cheap gear is better these days than it used to be, due in large part to CNC. I think quality generally increases with cost, but there are certainly outliers in there (i.e. cheap guitars that are great quality and expensive ones that are duds).

Ultimately, if you know how to do modifications to your guitar, you can get away with buying something cheaper, replacing the pickups and some of the hardware, and come away with a very nice guitar for cheap.

You could also spend $5000, get a high-end Gibson and a high-end amp, and come away with a very nice rig. But that's nothing new: money always has enabled you to have nice stuff without a ton of knowledge. It's the same with guitars.

duhvoodooman
October 27th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Keep in mind that Rondo doesn't make guitars. AFAIK, they handle 3 brands as exclusive (?) US distributor--SX, Douglas and Agile. The two former are mae in China, the latter in South Korea. I have heard mixed comments about the two Chinese brands, but overall they seem to offer good value if you're willing to do some set-up work and upgrade some parts. The Agiles are certainly a cut above those two, and can easily hold their own against the "economy" lines of the major makers. My Agile AL-3000 surpasses any but the best of the Epiphone LP's, IMO. And more than a few Gibsons!

Without a doubt, the Asian-made guitars have improved greatly in their overall quality in recent years, and there are many excellent values to be had. There's also some real crapola out there, so caveat emptor....

hubberjub
October 27th, 2010, 12:12 PM
When you buy something brand name, you aren't just paying for the guitar, you are also paying for all of the marketing involved. Think about how many ads you see for Gibson/Epiphone and Fender/Squire compared to smaller brands.

Eric
October 27th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I have heard mixed comments about the two Chinese brands, but overall they seem to offer good value if you're willing to do some set-up work and upgrade some parts.
I liked the SX I traded away except that
1) Some of the hardware (pickup switch, tuners, nut) was really cheap. I would have replaced it if I had kept it and was looking to make it something I regularly play outside of my house.
2) It was a tele, which I've since decided I'm just not destined for at this point in my guitar journey.

That said, it was 100 freaking bucks, so while it's not exactly MIA Fender, it's not horrible.

Commodore 64
October 27th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I liked the SX I traded away except that
1) Some of the hardware (pickup switch, tuners, nut) was really cheap. I would have replaced it if I had kept it and was looking to make it something I regularly play outside of my house.
2) It was a tele, which I've since decided I'm just not destined for at this point in my guitar journey.

That said, it was 100 freaking bucks, so while it's not exactly MIA Fender, it's not horrible.

I took that SX Tele to my local store (where I take lessons), just because I like to take different guitars to my lessons. The manager went apeshit over it. He loves it.

Eric
October 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I took that SX Tele to my local store (where I take lessons), just because I like to take different guitars to my lessons. The manager went apeshit over it. He loves it.
Huh. Cool deal. That's not the same guy who loved your Jazzmaster, is it?

Commodore 64
October 27th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Huh. Cool deal. That's not the same guy who loved your Jazzmaster, is it?

Yes, it is. For a guitar store manager, you'd think he'd be trying to push his high dollar Fender stuff, but the dude is all about Samicks and other non premium brands. He's one of those folks who just loves music and wants everyone to be able to play it. I think he's a little misguided. He's convinced that every guitar not made in America is made by Samick.

Eric
October 27th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I think he's a little misguided. He's convinced that every guitar not made in America is made by Samick.
Ha. Well, I do think they make a ton of the imports, don't they? From the tidbits I've picked up, a couple of factories churn out a good chunk of the Asian imports we end up seeing here. Samick was one of them, but I can't remember the other factory. Wingsdad would surely know.

markb
October 27th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Cort do loads of badge work. Their own brand can be really good. An all mahogany 00 sized acoustic for NZ$450 with solid top and back? The really very good M600 "poor man's PRS"? Both of these are on my GAS list.

Korean Epiphones (for instance) have been made by Samick, Cort, Peerless, Saein, World and Unsung. Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head :confused:

Eric
October 27th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Korean Epiphones (for instance) have been made by Samick, Cort, Peerless, Saein, World and Unsung. Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head :confused:
Those sound familiar. I think I may have also been thinking of Fujigen -- would that make sense, given the context? I'm not too clear on the history or locations.