PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Gigs anyone?

Robert
October 27th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I'm playing Saturday night at a pub, with Myra and a bass player and a drummer.

We are dressing up of course.. I will be wearing some glossy tights and some ghastly shirt... and a hat of some sort. Not sure what I am supposed to be, but it will be hideous!

We are doing some "new", "cool?" tunes -
Kiss - I was made for loving you
Mellencamp - R.O.C.K in the USA
Scorpions - Rock you like a hurricane

R_of_G
October 27th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Shouldn't you work in some Halloween-appropriate material, like "Frankenstein" for instance. :thwap

Eric
October 27th, 2010, 11:51 AM
My vote is for Everyday is Halloween by Ministry.

sunvalleylaw
October 27th, 2010, 11:54 AM
I always like some of the old surf monster stuff from the 60s for halloween.

hubberjub
October 27th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Yep, my band Dutch Bucket System is playing a private party on Friday and at one of our favorite venue on Halloween. I'm dressing as Jon Belushi's Samurai character from early Saturday Night Live. It should be a good time since we are a reasonably spooky sounding band.

Sun-We actually have a song titled Surf Munster that we play.
e0pBogTqUnA

Robert
October 27th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Would be fun to do Halloween-related tunes, but it won't be this time, because of lack of time for rehearsals.

sunvalleylaw
October 27th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Very cool Hub! That is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. It just seems like it would be fun to play at a party! That song rocks and would be fun to dance to at a halloween party. I always liked the guitar part in the Bobby Fuller 4 version of "Wolfman".

I couldn't find a youtube, but you can listen to a sample bit here

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Mash-Various-Artists/dp/B00006SM6T%3FSubscriptionId%3D0MJTNHJ19502MA1QRR02 %26tag%3Dcdun-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165 953%26creativeASIN%3DB00006SM6T

We play this album this time of year. Full of this kind of stuff.

Robert
October 27th, 2010, 02:33 PM
They asked us to play 70s and 80s rock, so that's what we will attempt. Cept Myra isn't too familiar with 80s rock...

sunvalleylaw
October 27th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Yeah, sorry. I was going off on a tangent. You could do "Thriller" for 80's rock with the EVH solo!

oldguy
October 27th, 2010, 05:59 PM
"Do the Monster Mash".......

Ch0jin
October 28th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Yeah Monster Mash would be a great one to work up a cover of.

Also the Groovy Goolies show theme makes a great cover.

xmelTlEzI34&NR=1

One of my favorite Aussie bands of all time, the Meanies used to cover it (except the called it "Groovy Meanies")

No Youtube of that track though.....

Brian Krashpad
October 29th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I have 2 shows this weekend. The praise team is playing our first concert ever tonight. Not in church but next door in the fellowship hall. Real drums and the guitars/bass using backline stage volume-- YES! That should be pretty "scary" for some of our parishioners (of course, those people who'd be most scared won't be there). No Halloween theme or costumes, but we WILL have a FOG MACHINE. Awwwww yeah. I just hope we can get some people to come out for it.

As if to highlight the duality of my nature, Saturday the hippie side band, Cinnamon Hill, is playing our fave haunt (sorry, had to), the Kickin' Devil. Costumes optional, I reckon I'll just be a generic Army Man, since half the time I wear surplus anyhow. That should be interesting, our regular percussionist can't make it so we'll have another person sitting in. Also, our lead/lapsteel guy is out of town (which happens rather frequently), so I get to do ALL the electric guitar leads. Senora Krashpad and a batch of her friends are coming, and maybe my daughter and her girlfriend.

Good times aplenty.

kidsmoke
October 30th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Yep. got a gig tonight. The ensemble that got rained out last month is playing a Chicago Tavern tonight, called Moe's (think simpsons)

We tweaked the set list in honor of the "holiday" (Remember, we're "That 70's Ensemble")

Aqualung
Witchy Woman
Brandy
Drift Away
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Werewolves of London
Me and Mrs Jones
Mr Big Stuff
Rikki don't lose that number
Misty Mountain Hop
Night Moves
Get Down Tonight
Highway to Hell

I'm dressing in a Priest's collar and singing lead on Me and Mrs Jones. All in fun. Indoors, so we can't get rained out this time!!

NWBasser
November 1st, 2010, 08:39 PM
"Do the Monster Mash".......

He he, I was just playing that on my bass a couple days ago.

No real gig for me, however all was not lost.

My guitarist had his usual Halloween party and our band played some and much jamming took place.

An interesting thing happened though; I was a bit buzzed and picked up his living room guitar and was casually playing along with some Metallica that was on the stereo. I didn't have a pick on me and just used my fingers.

After the Metallica ended, I kept playing and fell into this really cool groove. Our old singer came in and heard it and suggested going downstairs to the band room to have some fun with it. He picked up a bass and I grabbed my guitarist's Charvel and began jamming on it while making up new parts. The drummer heard us and came down to join in further adding to the groove. Then a bunch of party guests came down to listen. I'll probably never be able to re-create that groove again though...

It was super-fun and I'm really liking this strange finger strumming technique that I made up. I may keep pursuing this oddball finger-style method to see what comes out of it.