PDA

View Full Version : Martin D-1 - Need opinions

the1percent
October 27th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Hi all. I have an opportunity to buy a three month old Martin D-1 for $500. I know this is a great price, but am not too informed about this particular Martin guitar. I know they started producing this guitar again and a few changes have been made. Instead of laminated sides they are solid wood now. Instead of a solid wood neck, they use a stratabond neck now. I understand this stratabond material is laminated wood and is very strong. I am looking for opinions as the neck is the only thing I am the least bit concerned about. All the reviews rate this guitar high, but I wanted to get my fellow Fretters input.

Thanks,
Scott

markb
October 27th, 2010, 01:34 PM
You need to play a stratabond neck before forming an opinion. For me, they feel fine but look awful especially in the unstained finish. It should be very strong and stable over time.

the1percent
October 27th, 2010, 01:43 PM
You need to play a stratabond neck before forming an opinion. For me, they feel fine but look awful especially in the unstained finish. It should be very strong and stable over time.

Thanks!

sunvalleylaw
October 27th, 2010, 02:25 PM
They play just fine, like Mark says. There was a "smartwood" Martin in the store that used to be here in town that played and sounded great, but was made completely of sustainable stuff like that. If you don't care about the look and like how it plays and sounds, I say go for it! Good price on a nice playing and sounding acoustic!

the1percent
October 27th, 2010, 03:52 PM
They play just fine, like Mark says. There was a "smartwood" Martin in the store that used to be here in town that played and sounded great, but was made completely of sustainable stuff like that. If you don't care about the look and like how it plays and sounds, I say go for it! Good price on a nice playing and sounding acoustic!

Thanks. The seller is someone I know and he told me in the 3 months he has had it he has played it three times for a bout 30 minutes each time. Geez...Might as well say it's brand new.

markb
October 27th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Wow, a used acoustic you still have to play in. So it is the new version then?

lou
October 27th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Yep solid top and solid back, but the sides are a laminate Mahogany, and its at a good price. Have you had a chance to play with it first, its not a guitar that everyone takes to but some folks just absolutely love them.Good hunting and I hope you enjoy it if you do buy and remember to play the heck out of her (him ).lou

the1percent
October 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Wow, a used acoustic you still have to play in. So it is the new version then?
Yes it is the latest version. Part of description below.

Solid Sitka Spruce Top, Sapele Back and Sides, Stratbond Neck, and Rosewood Fingerboard - Natural

Jipes
October 28th, 2010, 07:27 AM
As I told you by MP go for it :thumbsup

the1percent
October 28th, 2010, 07:32 AM
As I told you by MP go for it :thumbsup

:D I realized your D-1 was older and has the solid wood neck as opposed to the stratabond neck. That is why I was seeking another opinion. My intensions are good. And thanks again for your help. :)

Jipes
October 28th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Oups :thwap Sorry, effectively that can makes quite a difference

lou
October 28th, 2010, 08:51 AM
But isn't Sapele the same as mahogany, from what I understand it is also called African Mahogany.
and here is a description for a D-1 Martin

solid spruce top
solid mahogany back and 3 ply mahogany laminate sides
rosewood fingerboard and bridge
all new top bracing pattern
.lou

Heywood Jablomie
October 28th, 2010, 09:02 AM
First off, that's an amazing price - one which you could easily recover (or even make a profit) if you re-sold it. Even the less-expensive Martins are very nice - my son has a DR, which has laminated back/sides - and it sounds great. I've read a couple comments from true custom luthiers who unequivocally state that the sides/back contribute very little to the guitar's tone, and I suspect they may be correct. Bottom line: I'd grab it - QUICK!

the1percent
October 28th, 2010, 09:09 AM
But isn't Sapele the same as mahogany, from what I understand it is also called African Mahogany.
and here is a description for a D-1 Martin

solid spruce top
solid mahogany back and 3 ply mahogany laminate sides
rosewood fingerboard and bridge
all new top bracing pattern
.lou

The following "history" should clarify the build of the older vs the new D-1. And yes, I have heard that Sapele is a "relative" of Mahogany.

================================================== ===

Previous Post
Next Post
Martin D-1 Acoustic Guitar Returns

by Dave on April 12th, 2009

The Martin D-1 acoustic guitar is back. But first, some history. In the 1990’s, the C.F. Martin Company had a 1-series of acoustic guitars. That series was designed for players that wanted a good sounding guitar but who couldn’t break the bank (in this case, the bank would break if more than $1,000 was taken out of it). The previous 1-series of acoustic guitars had a solid back and top, but laminate sides making it the not quite as attractive little sister to Martin’s solid acoustics. Not anymore. This month the company has reintroduced its 1-series with four new guitars and now that series is all-solid.

sunvalleylaw
October 28th, 2010, 09:33 AM
and bottom line, I have no problem with the "lower end" Martins they have been putting out. Though the neck is of a different material, as long as it feels fine to you and you like the sound, I would have no worries at all. And I agree, that is a really nice price to get into a good sounding acoustic.

lou
October 28th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I didn't know they just came out with a new D-1, so thanks for the info and will add it to my list of information on it.thanks. lou

markb
October 28th, 2010, 04:57 PM
The difference between mahogany and sapele (apart from not even being of the same genus) is simple. Sapele has a stripy grain like a tabby cat while mahogany doesn't. All mahogany guitars are stained, some with a reddish colour like the back of a Les Paul, some more brown like a 15 series Martin. Gibson J45s get the darkest stain, almost a rosewood shade of brown.

1940s Martin mahogany (http://elderly.com/images/vintage/10U/10U-4679_body-back.jpg)

Current Martin sapele (http://elderly.com/images/new_instruments/10N/00015_body-back_sm_.jpg)

Tonally some think sapele is brighter. I think a different set of strings could even that out.

the1percent
November 9th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I picked up the D-1 earlier this evening. I ended up getting it for $450. I am very happy. Also go a stand and it came with the Martin hardshell case. The sound did not disappoint. I have always dreamed of owning a Martin. And even though it isn't one of their higher end instruments, I will not be disappointed. Thanks to all for your input. I will post pics later today.

Jipes
November 9th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I picked up the D-1 earlier this evening. I ended up getting it for $450. I am very happy. Also go a stand and it came with the Martin hardshell case. The sound did not disappoint. I have always dreamed of owning a Martin. And even though it isn't one of their higher end instruments, I will not be disappointed. Thanks to all for your input. I will post pics later today.

I'm very happy for you, you'll see usually those "ladies" are only getting better with time :thumbsup

the1percent
November 9th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Not great pics but ...

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/984/img0433jt.jpg http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9241/img0437m.jpg

sunvalleylaw
November 9th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Nice! HMM(artin)D!!