PDA

View Full Version : Clement fretless clip

NWBasser
October 28th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Here's a clip of my fretless Clement with both pickups on and the onboard EQ flat. Taken through the DI on my GB Shuttle into a Korg D4 recorder.

Click here to listen to fretless funk.mp3 (http://tindeck.com/listen/gund)

marnold
October 28th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Sounds good! You don't seem to have problems getting to the proper note despite the lack of frets.

NWBasser
October 28th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks Marnold. It's actually a lot easier to stay on pitch than most people think. Without the frets, it's really easy to play fast runs.

Ch0jin
October 28th, 2010, 10:49 PM
A mate had a fretless Thunderbird years ago that I loved the sound of but couldn't play to save myself.

It's all about knowing the fingering really isn't it? I played Violin when I was a kid and I vaguely recall hitting the right notes was about remembering where your hand and fingers were supposed to be.

Is that about right?

NWBasser
October 29th, 2010, 04:48 PM
A mate had a fretless Thunderbird years ago that I loved the sound of but couldn't play to save myself.

It's all about knowing the fingering really isn't it? I played Violin when I was a kid and I vaguely recall hitting the right notes was about remembering where your hand and fingers were supposed to be.

Is that about right?

Yeah, it seems muscle memory along with attuned ears helps a lot. I do still use the top markers for a visual clue though.

Fretless doesn't take that long to learn and is quite rewarding for the effort.