PDA

View Full Version : Riffs/Music vs Lyrics.....

Jx2
October 28th, 2010, 09:13 PM
A buddy and I have thought about putting together a little 2 man acoustic thing to play at a local shop that has a open mic night. Today we mostly discussed what cover's to play till we can get some orginal material wrote. When I got home I started doing some rembering and tab searching of some of the songs and bands we discussed. And it got me to thinking.........

When playing your own stuff what do you really tend to spend more time on. Writing the perfect riff or those perfect lyrics to that riff?

When searching some of those songs and bands we discussed picking from. I realized we had a good mix of songs/bands where some songs seemed to really be more about the music and some more about the lyric. Prime examples, we discussed learning a Beatles song which really seem's to be based more around lyric than guitar playing in general, as well as some songs from our teen years like December, Heart Shape Box, Run Away Train and others. We also discussed songs by Led Zeppelin, GnR, and even Pantera. Yes I did say acoustic Pantera....:dude

For me personaly, just to share my on my topic in case someone is wondering. I was writing poetry and helping my buddy with his bands orignal lyrics well before I ever knew how to play G-C-D on guitar. I actually am still but not as big now a big Doors fan and Jim Morrison in general. On my notebooks back in high school I actually would write The Next American Poet on the cover's. Had about 20 volumes, before I scrapped the concept. I cant sing worth a lick though, sound like a cross between Bob Dylan and Kurt Cobain but only worse...:thumbsup

Ch0jin
October 28th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I've actually thought about this topic a bit as it happens.

I'm intimidated as hell thinking about writing lyrics. I love lyrics that generate a strong emotional response, powerful, gut wrenching stuff from the soul. You know, the kind of lyrics people get tattoo'd on them and write all over the school books and print on t-shirts.

I grab a pen and then think of the epic lyrics I've enjoyed over the years and put it down again humbled.

Whilst I do have some cheesy punk songs to my name, my focus is riffs right now.

Eric
October 29th, 2010, 06:04 AM
I don't write much at all, but just by fooling around, I can usually come up with a decent basic chord progression.

However, on the listening end it's mostly about music for me. I mean, if either the music or the lyrics are too dumb, it will ruin the whole thing for me, but there are plenty of songs I like where I can't really understand all of the lyrics, yet I still love the song. I feel like the message gets through without articulating every word, which is the power of music.

Conversely, I can't think of too many songs I like for the lyrics where the music was either bad or not noticeable.

deeaa
October 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Ah, sometimes I spend a great deal of effort on a lyric, or feel it's a really successful work of poetry. Other times, I just throw whatever pops to my mind at the moment.

I suppose it's because I'm not an English native speaker, I don't much care what the lyrics are about very often. I suppose in an English-speaking country parents wouldn't let 5-6-year olds listen to lyrics like from Cradle of Filth etc. which deal about rape, murder, sodomy, whatever sick s*it, but here nobody listens to what they're actually saying.

BUT I do think largely all song lyrics that are hugely popular, are essentially crap. But it can be enjoyable too. Depends how much cr*p you are equipped to deal with I suppose, or how gullible you are? Dunno. 'All you need is love' yeah right, I find it really hard to believe the Beatles didn't think hard what kind of a line would sell the best. Or maybe I'm just a cynic.

But, successful lyrics are always like, 'Only love is so pure and white as snow', and 'we only live a fleeing moment in time' or, you know, every single country song ever written and more...really pathetic stuff if you start thinking about it BUT still it somehow manages to touch people's hearts - and yeah, even I sometimes get caught in such feeling from a simple 'heartfelt' lyric, sure.

But, ultimately, it's popular cr*p. Even Shakespeare was soap opera of its time, and now revered highly. What's quality stuff? Whatever you happen to like personally. Me, I like lyrics you don't exactly 'get' what they are saying right up front. Those are the best. I think The Cult on 'Love' had the greatest rock lyrics ever. Only a few words and what a great story.

Love
Obviously
Very soon, everybody
Why don't you love that sweet time
Spent a long time on this road
Spent a long time in this town
Spent a long time in the wrong road

Spent a long time in your hole
Spent a long time in the wrong hole
I spent a long time in my town