PDA

View Full Version : Pod XT and computer hookup

Spudman
October 31st, 2010, 11:52 AM
Are you using your Pod XT into your computer?

I have mine hooked up via USB and can't get any sound out of it through the computer. I did a while ago, but it's been a while since I've used it and can't get any sound from it. The outputs on the unit work fine, just no computer sound.

I'm using my computer's sound card just like before. This has me baffled. I'm getting signal to Gear Box because the tuner works. Just no guitar sounds from the computer.

Any advice?

Lev
October 31st, 2010, 12:56 PM
I use mine as an external sound card for my PC. So It just shows up as an audio output device in control panel that I can select (once the device drivers are installed). That way all the computer sound outputs through the POD.

Sorry.... Not really answering the question you asked .... But thats how I setup.

Spudman
October 31st, 2010, 04:02 PM
I've got the Pod Xt and Guitar Port both hooked up. The Xt runs into the computer via USB. The Guitar Port has the computer speakers plugged into it and is also hooked up via USB.

I just can't figure out why it used to work set up like this but now doesn't.

markb
October 31st, 2010, 06:21 PM
Is the XT showing as an input device in the control panel?

Spudman
October 31st, 2010, 06:46 PM
Is the XT showing as an input device in the control panel?

I've set it up that way and still get no sound from it. Also tried it as an output. With the same results. This is really starting to bug me.

Eric
October 31st, 2010, 07:07 PM
I had a problem with Guitarport once, not sure if it was clipping or no sound. Anyway, the Line 6 guy suggested that I just uninstall all of the software and reinstall it. I thought that was a stupid suggestion, but I did it and it worked.

So...that's one thing to try. Good luck!

Spudman
October 31st, 2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks Eric. Both Guitar Port and XT are working fine.

deeaa
October 31st, 2010, 10:25 PM
Sometimes a reinstall works. Could be just some tiny issue, but one that is so hard to find it's just easier to 'reset' everything with an initializing reinstall.

My external soundcard sometimes misses the boat on FW sync somehow for a moment while booting...not often, but when it happens, it just vanishes for a while. It either comes back automatically, or I take the cord off or turn the soundcard off and on again, and then it works fine.

Seems, however, that after this some apps automatically change the settings, i.e. some software might suddenly have SoundMapper as output, not the soundcard's main outs or ASIO, and that can sometimes cause problems with sound settings. It's rare but goes to show sometimes weird problems can happen.

My main soundcard is basically for audio work alone; I have a separate soundcard for games etc, and a third one for Skype use, and a fourth which I sometimes use for headphone monitoring.

When I used a Pod Xt I just hooked it up to my soundcard and only used the USB option for tweaking sounds. Five soundcards seemed excessive somehow plus I worried how well it would work using several soundcards in a same multitrack project...actually it probably would not have worked at least simultaneously...and actually I just realized the display adapter also has an in-built soundcard used to relay 5.1 sound through the HDMI.

Phew, it ain't been even a decade when just setting up one soundcard on a PC could be a real PITA, now it seems everything finally works truely plug and play most of the time even with half a dozen soundcards at once.

Ch0jin
October 31st, 2010, 11:13 PM
Why so many sound cards Deeaa?

deeaa
November 1st, 2010, 12:23 AM
Well the main studio card is difficult for games as I have set it up for monitoring etc. and it's better to use a basic Direct-X card for gaming so there's no need to adjust anything.

The Skype phone has its own soundcard, and it's reserved for that alone, which is good in many ways, like no problems if it rings etc. and no extra processing for the machine. One set of headphones also has its own soundcard, which is handy also as when it's not connected it's not there to mess with anything.

It's not really like I'm aiming to use many soundcards, just that devices these days have their own soundcards built in it seems...and for gaming it's just handy that way.

Ch0jin
November 1st, 2010, 02:28 AM
Oh OK, when you put it like that it makes sense, I've just never heard of using multiple cards before and I thought myself rather computer literate. I guess we are always learning huh :)