PDA

View Full Version : The Epi SG G400 - opinions?

poodlesrule
November 1st, 2010, 12:44 PM
I see 'em Epi SGs come up once in a while on craigslist.

I have to admit I never grabbed one at a music shop, but am curious about them, and am somewhat confused by the plethora Epi "flavors.

Opinions?
(on that SG that is, not my general state of confusion..!)

Is it one of these guitars with good "bones", that could be turned into something interesting, with a few upgrades?

ZMAN
November 1st, 2010, 01:20 PM
The SG is a very overlooked guitar. They are quite comfortable to play.
As far as buying and modding an Epi, I would say that if you do that you are in the Faded Gibson SG area, money wise so that would be the best bang for the buck. They are quite a nice guitar.

guitarhack
November 1st, 2010, 02:20 PM
Although I don't have one (yet), the G400s can be had for very reasonable money. I've seen two recently advertised for around $300 USD, and that's with a case or gig bag.

duhvoodooman
November 1st, 2010, 03:26 PM
I picked up a used G400 on eBay about a year and a half ago (details HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11659))for a couple of bucks over $200. In very nice shape. All I did to it was upgrade the p'ups with a used Gibby 490/498 set that I got from Mudcat. Sounds great--classic hard rock machine.

They're pretty neck-heavy because of the combo of the light body and the neck joint being so far down the fretboard. I play seated most of the time, so not problem for me. But if you play standing, you'll want a strap with some grip across the shoulder.

Also, because of that long neck, it takes a little getting used to when you play. I'd suddenly find myself up around the 15th fret when I was trying to move up quickly to the 12th. Just took a bit of time to get used to the different feel.

Duffy
November 1st, 2010, 11:22 PM
I bought my first SG a few years ago at GC and they had a large selection, including Gibsons.

I played at least six thru a nice Hot Rod Deluxe set the same for all SG's played. I found them all to sound different when the guitar controls were set at exactly the same settings. One of them stood out above the others and was not the most expensive, quite inexpensive actually.

I played the metallic blue special edition one, at least three teardrop pickguard below the pickups G-400s, a Gibson for good comparison - don't remember which one but not a real expensive one. Later I owned an SG Faded Gibson that was stolen from me. I really checked out these several SG's at GC that day, listening and evaluating for a long time. I bought the one I chose based on sound, tone, and feel, plus made sure it had no flaws.

Of all the ones I played, the one that stood out considerably above the others in sound was the '66 copy of the Gibson SG Standard, School of Rock edition, trans cherry high gloss with chrome covered humbuckers that sound great and are still in it. This '66 copy Epi SG is still available and you can distinguish it by its set neck and full pickguard onto which the pickups are mounted, unlike on the G-400 with the HB pickups rings and the small tear drop pickguard below the pickups. The Epi SG Faded also has the small tear drop pickguard and chrome covered pickups, but it has a satin finish and satin finished back of the neck, very nice. Both of these guitars were hand picked and sound almost exactly the same.

Both of my Epi SG's are great guitars for me and I actually like them more than I did my Gibson Faded SG.

There is also a really nice three humbucker cream colored G-400 Custom SG that is not expensive. This is a beautiful SG.

I also played the Prophecy SG GX with the Dirty Fingers pickups. This is a more expensive guitar, about eight hundred, and is a very nice guitar. My personal evaluation of it, thru a Hot Rod Deluxe was that the pickups are probably just the right thing for some people but they sounded slightly harsh to me, not smooth like the stock Epi HB's or really nice Seymour Duncan JB's or 59's, or Pearly Gates, etc. I haven't found EMG's I like or don't know how to rig them up to the right type amp or something, but I didn't try the Prophecy SG EX with EMG's. The Prophecy SG with dirty fingers is very beautiful quilted maple top cherry gloss with gold trim and would be a great guitar if you could get one at a real good used price.

Personally, I like the plain set neck G-400 SG variations, like the ones I have. They sound real good, not exactly like an LP, but brighter and a nice one produces beautiful tones.

They are a really great looking guitar too, as I see them. Of course, their classic design lends to their desirability. But these guitars are not about looks. They really are powerful humbucking guitars that rock out with smooth but strong HB tone.

I'm surprised too that more people don't talk about them. Everybody is talking about Classic Vibe strats, but the G-400's are easily as good of guitars and sport a couple of great sounding stock humbuckers and can be upgraded as you feel necessary. I probably would have upgraded the open coil HB's on my Gibson Faded SG as well.

The two I have are cherry finish and stock. I'm not seeing anything that I should mod. It would be nice to get a set of locking tuners and see if they make any difference in holding the tune, like they have improved the tuning stability on the guitars I have locking tuners on. The Fender locking tuners I have on a strat really hold the tune.

The SG has a vibe that no other guitar can emulate. They are really classic design guitars.

Hope this personal experience feedback helps you see one persons impression of the G-400's.

poodlesrule
November 2nd, 2010, 04:41 AM
Well, there is a regular G400 for sale near me -same price as DVM's.
I am set to go look at it today...

The Gibson SG is the first guitar I ever touched, back in 72, so, there is an emotional connection there. What a perfect excuse to get one, how can one argue with that...:dude

Duffy
November 2nd, 2010, 05:24 AM
I like my Epiphone SG's as much as I liked my Gibson Faded SG, maybe more; chrome covered pickups, gloss finish on one, real nice satin finish on the other. Both have low action and great tone, stock. And I don't have any intention of upgrading either one anytime soon. That is something because I upgrade a lot of my guitars. These just sound very very nice and look awesome.

Don't worry about the neck dive. Just get a wide strap with raw hide on the inside toward your shirt. It will keep it from slipping down. People have been playing them for many years, I don't know what the big deal is about neck dive. You get used to it, just like the hissing on single coils. It comes with the territory.

Good luck on the purchase. Don't look too excited. Act like you are really looking for another color or pickguard or something - maybe you can get him to knock off twenty bucks or so. Obviously the dude wants to sell it, not give it away, but get rid of it.

I'm sure you will like it if it's anything like mine are.

Keep us posted.

Brian Krashpad
November 2nd, 2010, 05:40 AM
G400 is a good solid SG. I had an older MIK one, before Epi moved most production to China. The pickups were a little muddy, although I have heard that they are better on the newer models.

I only had my G400 for a year or so. I gigged it a couple times:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/BotBIIfloorBKkneel71204.jpg

I subsequently got an Agile Valkyrie on closeout from Rondo Music, and I liked the P-90's in it better than the HB's in the G400, so I sold the Epi:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/64969414_025241fa57.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/144/345407289_eead7004c5.jpg

deeaa
November 2nd, 2010, 06:01 AM
I hear good stuff about Epi G400's. Also like SG's, would very much like one too some day. They're nicely compact&light guitars.

I have a buddy who has a sixties Gibson and it's not neck heavy at all, though, also the neck weights next to nothing...and is VERY thin too.

My take on Epiphones in general (have owned a few and played plenty) is that many a time they are actually better finished than Gibsons. However there seems to be more of a chance of some 'living' in the woods and thus they're more likely to have some fret problems later on.

Hard to say why, but I've played very pretty Epi LP's for instance that were on par or better than comparative Gibsons, but perhaps due to the sandwich-structured tops rather than solid maple caps, dunno why, but I've found on a few of them there to be a problem playing higher frets...the sound just doesn't sustain well there or 'sing', it's been quite dead. In that when you solo on, say, 5th fret or so, and then try play around 15th to go G, the sound is clearly a little wimpier.

Not saying this is the case with all Epi LP's, but I've met a few like that, making me wonder if it could indeed be due to the construction. My Explorer had no problems of the sort.

Eric
November 2nd, 2010, 06:11 AM
I've found on a few of them there to be a problem playing higher frets...the sound just doesn't sustain well there or 'sing', it's been quite dead. In that when you solo on, say, 5th fret or so, and then try play around 15th to go G, the sound is clearly a little wimpier.
I definitely know what you're saying here, and I find the same thing with my Agile. I might just have the action too low or something, but it does sometimes die on the high frets, particularly during long bends.

Someone (maybe you) were talking about how you check the frets that way: go up high and do some bends to see if it sustains, which would indicate fret uniformity.

I don't know -- it could all be imagined for all I know, but I think you have a fair point.

Commodore 64
November 2nd, 2010, 06:11 AM
There's an SG on CL near me. $100...He says it's the Goth version, neck-thru, plays great but is a little beat up. Are the Goths based on a G400?

deeaa
November 2nd, 2010, 06:33 AM
I definitely know what you're saying here, and I find the same thing with my Agile. I might just have the action too low or something, but it does sometimes die on the high frets, particularly during long bends.

Someone (maybe you) were talking about how you check the frets that way: go up high and do some bends to see if it sustains, which would indicate fret uniformity.

I don't know -- it could all be imagined for all I know, but I think you have a fair point.

Yes, I have never happened to have the time to really dig into why that happens, it might be a fret-related issue too, but I dunno...they didn't seem to 'hang' or buzz like w/usual fret problems, just strangely wimpy. I really should look into that some day better.

wingsdad
November 2nd, 2010, 07:34 AM
There's an SG on CL near me. $100...He says it's the Goth version, neck-thru, plays great but is a little beat up. Are the Goths based on a G400?
Yes. Link here:
Epiphone Goth G-400 (http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=35&CollectionID=5)

poodlesrule
November 2nd, 2010, 01:45 PM
Well, there is a regular G400 for sale near me -same price as DVM's.
I am set to go look at it today...

Well, I failed as a buyer!

I had it all set up, nice seller, etc.
Went to the wrong street... realized that, and developed cold feet!

Darn.

The day is young... there is this kid who owes me some pics of his beat-up Peavey I can have for the price of two packs of strings. :hungry

Duffy
November 2nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
Did someone else beat you to it or did you decide to not get it. It might be a real nice guitar.

NWBasser
November 2nd, 2010, 04:21 PM

Hmm, I've experienced the same thing. I thought it was lousy technique on my part. Usually, there's a bit of a "ramp" of the fret height downward towards the body for the several frets near the body-end. This is done so that higher notes can be played without choking out on those frets. Maybe Epiphone hasn't put enough "ramp" into those fret heights.

FrankenFretter
November 3rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Hmm, I've experienced the same thing. I thought it was lousy technique on my part. Usually, there's a bit of a "ramp" of the fret height downward towards the body for the several frets near the body-end. This is done so that higher notes can be played without choking out on those frets. Maybe Epiphone hasn't put enough "ramp" into those fret heights.

Hmmmm...or it could be that with your amph, you get no screaming solos. Oh wait, you have the H&K now. Nevermind.