PDA

View Full Version : New Pedal Day! Church Of Tone - COT50

Robert
November 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM
I scored this last week (used) and it showed up today. :dance

Wow, this thing is WICKED! I tried it for 10 minutes today, and guess what? Instant love affair!

Description:

The Lovepedal COT50 Church of Tone is an ultra simple pedal, more like a tool in the guitarist's tool box. Sean at Lovepedal used to go to blues jams in Detroit. They always had some junky amp for jammers to play through. So he came up with this box that would simulate tube amp break up to provide enough of a boost to get above the band for solos and clean up very well with the volume knob on the guitar.

It has a very vintage Plexi sound it was designed to sound like a late 60s Plexi loaded with 6550s. Through any amplifier, even a Solid State amp. It cleans up very well when you roll back the volume knob on your guitar. This works like a pre gain adjustment.

The uniqueness of this unit is in the dynamics. A world of different subtle break up is available at the guitar volume knob. It cleans up so fast at the guitar most people leave it on all the time and work the guitar volume for everything they need. The knob is there for a bias adjustment -- Hot biased or trimmed to original signal strength. If you're the type of player who digs rolling off at the guitar, this is the pedal you want. Very crystal clear and raw, uncompressed tone. This is the Billy Gibbons tone or early Hendrix sound, depending on how you set the unit and the controls at your guitar.

The COT50 has one knob that adjusts the bias of the transistor. This knob will make some noise when you adjust. The old Dallas Rangemasters did the same thing. Set the bias knob for the sweet spot, adjust the volume knob on your guitar to clean or dirty your signal. The COT50 will push your amp! The pedal is "on" as long as you have a cable plugged into the input jack, so make sure to unplug the cable when it is not in use to conserve battery life. Carbon Batteries sound best to Sean, but you can try alkaline to see which you like best.

Some of the best tones in this box come by simply adjusting your volume and tone at the guitar.

There are a lot of different shades of gain in this box and it sounds great with any guitar / amp combination. This edition has been designed to be quieter than earlier editions of the COT50.

True Bypass. This edition features soft touch true bypass rather than mechanical true bypass, which should translate into longer switch life.

hubberjub
November 1st, 2010, 02:35 PM
Nice. I'm a big Lovepedal fan. I just have the Eternity but have been interested in the COT. Can't wait for your demo vid.

Robert
November 1st, 2010, 02:46 PM
Well, you guys know how I play. This pedal is a perfect match for my style of playing. It's like a little Plexi Marshall box - take a clean sounding amp and make it into old school Plexi territory with lots of oomph and grawr, rawr, grr, roaring and growling. Kind of. :)

It just livens up my amp with more grit and guts than a clean booster does. It boosts the volume a little bit, but not a whole lot.

Retro Hound
November 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM
Pictures? Price?

Robert
November 1st, 2010, 03:18 PM
Mine is exactly like the original COT50's Sean made when he started the company - see

http://www.aweber.com/archive/newsletter08/1Adnq/h/_50_Lovepedal_COT50_Coupon_.htm

That was a great deal! $50 for this pedal is amazing! I think anyway, because it sounds wicked good with my gear.

TX1FWadHDg8

The pedal is discontinued (or at least I think so?) in favour of this one -

http://www.lovepedal.com/pedals/amp_50.html

8bObkcmqbII

Neal
November 2nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
Oh no Robert. Would you believe you got me looking at that thing:thwap

Robert
November 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
Haha, I am the GAS creator, am I not?
:french

GAS build up champion? :dance

Blaze
November 2nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
Don t forget this one ..Love it !!

Xt8h_r_DIUk&feature

Tig
November 2nd, 2010, 04:27 PM
Haha, I am the GAS creator, am I not?
GAS build up champion? :dance

The trick is knowing when to be upwind. :bootyshake
:D :R

vroomery
November 2nd, 2010, 04:31 PM
I have been Gassing for this pedal soooo long. It might just have to be my next purchase.

Jimi75
November 2nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
Rob, congrats on that pedal. It sounds amazing and I can imagine that it supports your style of playing in a decent way. Finally, we have a Lovepedal dealer where I live, and I thnk I have to visit the guy pretty soon to get a live impressions of the COT.

sunvalleylaw
November 2nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
Nice score!! Some good cheap gas too at $50!

sunvalleylaw
November 2nd, 2010, 10:05 PM
. . . (Searched used a couple minutes) Hmm, might be hard to find used. Bet someone we know could build up a clone.

vroomery
November 2nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
I would loveee a clone for this pedal. Please oh please let it be real!

Neal
November 3rd, 2010, 06:48 AM
OK Robert. Your new handle.

The Gas Man:dance

duhvoodooman
November 3rd, 2010, 09:06 AM
. . . (Searched used a couple minutes) Hmm, might be hard to find used. Bet someone we know could build up a clone.
Better keep looking. Unless there's a kit available, "one-off" pedals become prohibitively expensive to do, because of the time required in laying them out, putting together a bill of materials, ordering all the parts, etc. And that assumes that somebody at least sells a PCB, because if that's not available, you're talking about making one from a circuit layout (if available!) or doing the effect circuit on perfboard. Many, many hours involved!

With plenty of builds to do from BYOC kits, I'm just not interested in these kind of pedal projects. They'd take way too much of my time, and I doubt that I could find anybody willing to pay enough for one (or two, or three) to make it worth my while. Sorry!

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2010, 11:18 AM
Oh ok. Well, the pedal sounds good Robert!

vroomery
November 3rd, 2010, 03:04 PM
FWIW, these pedals can be had used for 75 bucks if you keep an eye out on harmony central and the gear page classified sections.

duhvoodooman
November 3rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
FWIW, these pedals can be had used for 75 bucks if you keep an eye out on harmony central and the gear page classified sections.
That's the way to go. I did a quick look around and can't find anybody selling a PCB for this. So for a "one-off" build on perfboard, I would probably have to charge somewhere around $250 - $300 to recoup the investment of time. That really makes no sense when used ones can be found for $75 or so!

Neal
November 5th, 2010, 08:16 AM
The GasMan struck again.
I'll let you know how the Eternity works out when it arrives.

God I love these things:dance

Robert
November 5th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Congtrats! Although I have never tried the Eternity. Keep us posted!

Neal
November 5th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Will do. I have to figure out how to make videos, and sound clips.

But one thing that I have to say. Everything that I tried that you liked, I liked too.

Thanks.

I would come and visit, but spending time in Sudbury Canada, put me in cold shock:thwap

Robert
November 5th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I would come and visit, but spending time in Sudbury Canada, put me in cold shock:thwap

Ahh, you'll get over that in no time, when you're wearing something like this.

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1566/X1006/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1566-023313.jpg
http://cheapoair.typepad.com/.a/6a00e553caad9088340111689cbb79970c-800wi

Neal
November 6th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Ahh, you'll get over that in no time, when you're wearing something like this.

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1566/X1006/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1566-023313.jpg
http://cheapoair.typepad.com/.a/6a00e553caad9088340111689cbb79970c-800wi

At the time I didn't even own clothes like that. As a matter of fact, I still don't, but that's what I needed.

Neal
November 15th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I was lucky enough to get ahold of the LIL china version of that pedal. It's hard to imagine that you can get that much, out of that one knob pedal.

Robert
November 15th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah, isn't it amazing how great tone this one knob pedal can create? It's remarkable.

Neal
November 15th, 2010, 12:17 PM
The pot on mine is noisy, and I confered tith them at love pedal about it, and it apparently built that way. Any way it goes, It's a hell of a pedal.

This is from Lovepedal

Here's the Instructions:

Lovepedal
Church of tone 50

The 50 is an ultra simple pedal, more like a tool in the guitarist’s tool box.
I use to go to these blues jams in Detroit MI. They always had some junky amp for jammers to play through. So I came up with this box that would simulate tube amp break up, give me enough of a boost to get above the band for solos and clean up very well with the volume knob on the guitar.

It has a very vintage plexi sound. It was designed to sound like a late 60s plexi loaded with 6550s.. Through any amplifier, even a Solid State amp. It cleans up very well, when you roll back the volume knob on your guitar. This works like a pre gain adjustment.
The uniqueness of this unit is in the dynamics.. A world of different subtle break up is available at the guitar volume knob.. It cleans up so fast at the guitar most people leave it on all the time and work the guitar volume for everything they need.. The knob is there for a bias adjustment.. Hot biased or trimmed to original signal strength.. If your the type of player that digs rolling off at the guitar.. This is the pedal you want.. Very crystal clear and raw uncompressed tone.. This is the Billy Gibbons tone or early Hendrix sound.. Depending on how you set the unit and the controls at your guitar..
The 50 has one knob that adjusts the bias of the transistor. This knob will make some noise when you adjust, the old Dallas Rangemasters did the same thing. Set the bias knob for the sweet spot, adjust volume knob on guitar to clean or dirty your signal. The 50 will push your amp! The switch for the 9 volt power supply is located on the input jack. So make sure you unplug the unit at the input jack to turn unit off. Carbon Batteries sound best to me (dollar store 2 for a buck). But try alkaline to see which you like best.

“Some of the best tones in this box come by simply adjusting your volume and tone at the guitar.”
There is a lot of different shades of gain in this box and it sounds great with any guitar/amp combination.

Robert
November 15th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Yeah mine is a bit scratchy too.

It gets all my attention right now when I'm gigging with pedals... everyone should have one of these, really.

Neal
November 15th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I'll say it again. It's a hell of a pedal, and if you like it, you know that the chances are that I'll like it too.:poke :applause :dance

Neal
November 17th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Here's another one Robert.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lovepedal-Cot-50-Overdrive-Guitar-Effect-Pedal-/130454868551?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e5fb75247