PDA

View Full Version : Npd!

Eric
November 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hi all--

I borrowed a Turbo RAT from a friend a year or two ago, and I really liked it at the time. Recently I borrowed it again and decided to make an offer to buy it. Said friend is going through a bit of a downsizing period, so I ended up taking it home for $40. I thought this was a pretty sweet deal.

The Turbo RAT is (I think) the original RAT with more output. I doubt I would have picked it off the shelf under normal circumstances, but what the hey. Typical RAT tone for the most part, though I still have some exploring to do.

markb
November 2nd, 2010, 03:01 PM
It uses leds for clipping which gives a rougher edge to the distortion iirc. The output is very high.

Eric
November 2nd, 2010, 03:05 PM
It uses leds for clipping which gives a rougher edge to the distortion iirc. The output is very high.
Oh right, I do remember reading about that at one point.

If I may ask, what exactly does high output do for you? Is the idea that if you dime the gain and level knobs you'll be sending a huge amount of signal into the amp?

I've seen comparisons on youtube between the 3 main RAT models, and they really sounded very similar, so I'm not quite sure how much of the difference is discernable to me.