PDA

View Full Version : Need set of CV 50 or CVC pickups.

Duffy
November 3rd, 2010, 01:24 AM
I need a set of telecaster CV Fifties or CVC pickups for a project guitar.

If anyone has any that they replaced with upgraded pickups I am interested in the old pups if you are willing to sell them.

Algonquin
January 11th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Any luck with finding pu's for your project Duffy?

You can get a set of Toneriders here...
http://rhfactorguitars.highwire.com/product/tonerider-vintage-plus-set-trt1-nickel-cover

or here...
http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Tonerider-Tele-Vintage-Plus-Set---Nickel__TRT1SET-NK.aspx

Katastrophe
January 11th, 2011, 09:17 AM
More details on the project guitar, Duffy! Whatcha building?

Duffy
January 11th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I have a new MIM Fender tele that is not noise cancelling in the middle switch position so there is no escaping the noise when playing a high gain amp or using an overdrive pedal. These are ceramic pickups on the hot side, stock. The noise can be irritable.

Thinking about it a lot of people must be putting up with the noise because a lot of people play noisy teles thru high gain amps with overdrive. What is their solution? Noise gate? Volume pedal?

At first I thought getting a set of CV tele pickups would give me relief in the middle switch position. Then I thought that Fender must have the non noise cancelling pickups in the MIM tele's for a reason, probably in order to get good tone in all three switch positions. Otherwise why would they put better pickups in the Squier standard tele that has noise cancelling in the middle position?

So I have since decided to leave the stock pickups in the MIM and I must admit that they sound real good, just noisy.

As an experiment I bought a set of Fender Vintage Noiseless tele pickups for my nice Walnut stained Squier standard tele and I'm going to install them and see how I like the sound and compare it to the MIM. If I like the sound I might get some for the MIM or even some Samarium Cobalt tele pickups.

Supposedly, from word of mouth, the Vintage Noiseless tele pickups sound better than the Samarium Cobalt. Who knows?

I have yet to put the Fender Vintage Noiseless tele pickups in the Squier standard but I am anxious to do so soon.

So the bottom line is what to do with the noisy MIM standard tele? Should I get some noiseless pickups for it or a noise gate, or leave it alone and tolerate the noise and savor the tone? The noise gate, a Hush, I tried definitely sucked tone. I would like to get a gate that only cut the signal when you stopped playing and didn't degrade the tone when playing.

So, a seemingly simple problem has turned into quite a complicated situation with a lot of possible solutions. It's the whole single coil/humbucker delimma actually. There is no simple solution seemingly.

But why didn't Fender make the middle position noise cancelling on the MIM tele? Even the customer service guy at Fender didn't know that they were'nt noise cancelling in the middle position.

Maybe it's like how you can get strats without any RWRP going on. It could be a tone deal like it is with the strats.

Any feedback on this noise deal would be appreciated. I'm sure some of you guys understand the rationale behind the MIM standard tele not being noise cancelling in the middle switch position.

duhvoodooman
January 11th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I can personally recommend the Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor (http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSNS2). Very effective & not a tone-sucker at all.

Algonquin
January 11th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I can personally recommend the Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor (http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSNS2). Very effective & not a tone-sucker at all.
Excellent to know... I'd been considering one of these! :AOK

Commodore 64
January 12th, 2011, 08:13 AM
But why didn't Fender make the middle position noise cancelling on the MIM tele? Even the customer service guy at Fender didn't know that they were'nt noise cancelling in the middle position.

Any feedback on this noise deal would be appreciated. I'm sure some of you guys understand the rationale behind the MIM standard tele not being noise cancelling in the middle switch position.

The middle position on my Tele with Rose Westerland PUPs is hum canceling. I think you just have to figure out the polarity of the PUPs and wire them appropriately (which I must have done by accident). Ken puts a north arrow on the back of his PUPs. You can get a set of them for like 57 bucks (assuming your shipping costs the same as mine).

ZMAN
January 12th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Hey Duffy have you tried the tele with the Super Champ XD. I have the same issue with my P90 LP. Very noisey throug any of my pedal amp combinations. It is whisper quiet through the XD. I think is has something to do with the way they make the gain tones. I was amazed.
It is a PITA only using the middle hum cancelling position with my other amps.