PDA

View Full Version : closed versus open back cabs

helliott
November 3rd, 2010, 03:05 PM
What do people think about the various advantages, disadvantages of cabinets that are closed in back as opposed to open? I have a new one that has a removable back panel, and can't decide between open and closed for band use. Is there a rule of thumb, common things to one or the other, or just personal taste?

markb
November 3rd, 2010, 05:56 PM
If you can get far enough in front of your amp to hear it properly, a closed back should have more projection into the audience. An open back has always been handy on the pocket handkerchief stages I've tended to play on just for personal monitoring.

hubberjub
November 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
I dig open back cabinets. Closed back do project better but I always mic my amp on stage. Open back seems to have a bigger sound to me.

Katastrophe
November 3rd, 2010, 09:13 PM
For a 4x12 cab, it's gotta be closed back. No ports, no partial openings, closed. There is something primal about standing in front of one and feeling the "thump" on your chest as you play!

For a 2x12 or 1x12, I really don't care... it's all about what sounds good with that particular amph.

deeaa
November 4th, 2010, 02:40 AM
It's a question very often asked and already well answered here. I'll try to summarise some pros and cons from different perspective.

Open back:

- Sounds bigger and looser which works great for bluesy leads and players who want to dominate the band sound when they play leads. Also great on cleans.
- Disadvantage to that is you really need to control your volume and playing style when you don't want to drown everyone else in your huge open sound. But note almost all bluesy guitar heroes play open cabs.
- Biggest disadvantage to me is they radiate all over the place, which may be a big problem in some clubs etc...at some parts of the club to the side of the stage etc. someone may hear nothing but your guitar then.
- Another downer for me is with an open back the cab sound will vary even greatly according to wall proximity...especially at lower gain the sound can be totally ruined if the cab has to be right next to the wall for instance or, worst case scenario, propped against a sofa back...been there and boy it killed the sound _totally_.

Closed back:
- Sound much tighter and controlled than opens, especially in 4x12" there is no substitute to the sheer onslaught of punch they provide, even at lower volumes. They always stay focused and you can aim the cab sound where ever you want.
- Directivity can be a problem too, for front line listeners - don't point 'em at listener ears!
- Hard to achieve a huge warm and big sound, it will always be snappier. Speaker selection is of course the key here.
- With several guitarists it's easy to keep guitars distinct and not overpower each other. Note not any twin-guitar based rock/heavy band ever uses open cabs.
- They always sound the same no matter where.

I always go closed-back just because it's proven much more convenient in gigging, although if I were the lead player in a blues trio or something, I'd go open-back, and also if I were to record a HUGE bluesy or airy solo I'd try an open back first.

Sonically I think the difference is quite akin to that of semi-hollowbodies and solidbody guitars.