PDA

View Full Version : Record = Fail

NWBasser
November 4th, 2010, 06:03 PM
It seems that whenever I'm messing around on guitar or bass and come up with a really good groove or melody, I really want to record it so that I can remember or share with the band members.

However, whenever I hit the "record" button on my digital 4-track either I can't play or I can't find that groove again. I have these recordings that sound rather robotic or sloppy. :mad It seems I have this mind-block that absolutely kills my playing ability whenever I attempt to record.:thwap

Every so often, I actually do come up with cool basslines. If only I could record them though...

Any ideas here?

marnold
November 4th, 2010, 06:12 PM
No advice, other than that I suffer from the same thing. I tense up and it's like I can't play anymore.

bcdon
November 4th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Why not just always record? You can break your practice up into blocks and if nothing happens just reset the recording between breaks.

FrankenFretter
November 4th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Why not just always record? You can break your practice up into blocks and if nothing happens just reset the recording between breaks.
:digit

Yeah, I think Don has the ticket here. Just record everything, and pick the stuff out you want to keep. Eventually you'll probably get used to playing while recording, so you can just record the stuff you want at that point.

Katastrophe
November 4th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Yep, got the same problem.

I think the issue is that we think about it way too damned much. I see that little red light on and I want to just nail it on the first take. The thing is that I spend too much time concentrating on being technically perfect, and it screws the whole thing up.

It's a common problem.

Spudman
November 4th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I USED to have the same problem. Now I ALWAYS have my looper pedal plugged in and ready to go. It's last in my chain right before the amph. When the magic happens I keep playing and tap my foot one time to start recording. I then tap my foot another time to stop the recording. If I like what I've got I then turn on my little tape deck and capture what I just did so then I can move on to continue my creative odyssey.

I can listen back to the cassette for ideas any time I need to. That will give me time to get my part figured out before I record into the computer.

There are some other options depending on your looper. If you have a looper that uses an SD card you can save your recording and transfer it digitally to a computer. Or you can keep the recently recorded piece in the pedal memory and run one of the stereo outputs into a recorder and capture that way.

Like you said, I too got really frustrated by the interval between creation and pushing the record button. Now I never worry about it.

R_of_G
November 4th, 2010, 10:53 PM

Exactly. Just record it all. If you play something you like, it's there. If not, delete. Then you don't have the pressure of "ok, now I'm recording so it has to be good." You can just play and try to forget you're recording.

sunvalleylaw
November 5th, 2010, 06:50 AM
That is a good idea. My only problem is that when I record, I have to set up some things on my computer and hook up my mic, since I usually record my equipment rather than going directly in. I should either start recording directly in, or make hooking things up easier so I can just keep things ready. Also, I need to get my looper back in my standard pedal train and start looping.

I tend to tighten up when I record too, and an idea I just came up with lacks a little something or just is not there, when I decide to record. As you guys have heard, I end up just recording an posting anyway, as I figure most people fight this, and i have to start somewhere.

sumitomo
November 5th, 2010, 07:39 AM

Awesome Idea!!!!Comes right out of the K.I.S.S. idea.I clam up too!!!!Sumi:D:digit

marnold
November 5th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I've just got to find a way to record my Jet City. I can use my new camera for that, but I really only need the audio and the files it generates are b.i.g. huge. I'm toying with the idea of one of those little Zoom recorders that deeaa was talking about a while back.

sunvalleylaw
November 5th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Seems like for the price of a Zoom you could get a mic and input it into your computer Matt. That would seem more versatile to me. Here is a used one sitting at $40. http://cgi.ebay.com/SHURE-SM-57-USED-MICROPHONE-/300487378214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f6718526#ht_500wt_1156 Completed listings search shows the typical sale range at $53 to $55 or so. Add a cable and a simple USB interface and you are in! I like that way because then I can record my actual gear.

marnold
November 5th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Seems like for the price of a Zoom you could get a mic and input it into your computer Matt. That would seem more versatile to me. Here is a used one sitting at $40. http://cgi.ebay.com/SHURE-SM-57-USED-MICROPHONE-/300487378214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f6718526#ht_500wt_1156
I'm not real sure on all of this. Wouldn't I need something in between the mic and the sound card or can it handle that?

sunvalleylaw
November 5th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I just edited. You would also need a cable and USB interface. The cable is cheap. The M-audio ones work fine. Here is a cheapie. http://cgi.ebay.com/M-Audio-Fast-Track-USB-Audio-Interface-/290494100399?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a2cc33af#ht_500wt_1156

I have the big brother of this one, as do many here, including Robert:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Line-6-TonePort-UX1-USB-Recording-Interface-/200536879373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb0edf10d#ht_500wt_1156

tunghaichuan
November 5th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I'm not real sure on all of this. Wouldn't I need something in between the mic and the sound card or can it handle that?

Matt is correct, you will need some sort of microphone preamp to boost the mic's signal to line level, which is what the sound card wants to "see."

marnold
November 5th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I just edited. You would also need a cable and USB interface. The cable is cheap. The M-audio ones work fine. Here is a cheapie. http://cgi.ebay.com/M-Audio-Fast-Track-USB-Audio-Interface-/290494100399?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a2cc33af#ht_500wt_1156
Therein would probably lie the problem for me. Not sure how well such animals work with Linux. I suppose I could do some research.

tunghaichuan
November 5th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Therein would probably lie the problem for me. Not sure how well such animals work with Linux. I suppose I could do some research.

In the case of the Fast Track, it would act as a sound card in place of the existing one the computer. What ever interface you get, make sure that the company offers rock-solid drivers for you OS.

@Matt: It doesn't look like M-Audio offers Linux drivers for their products. :(

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrack.html

sunvalleylaw
November 5th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Seems like Linux must be able to handle it and have some sort of recording software like audacity. You don't need a bunch of effects and models in your computer if you are recording your amplified sound.

EDIT: Ok, I see Tung figured it out on the drivers. I wonder about the Toneport, but as Line6 had trouble keeping up with OSX, they may not have a Linux driver either.

Eric
November 5th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I have done some research. I believe Edirol is generally Linux-friendly. Line 6 sucks bunnies. I don't know about m-audio or presonus. I can send you some links I have on compatibility if you'd like.

I have a Behringer UCA202 that works OK. Very simplistic and only has RCA ins and outs, but it does the trick for me right now.

I also recently bought a $40 4-channel mixer (Samson MDR624) for the preamps for amplifying vocals, so I'm considering getting a mic and routing the mixer out into the Behringer.

marnold
November 5th, 2010, 10:44 AM
My point being (and sorry to hijack your thread, NWB), is that getting a Zoom-type-thing would probably be easier. Then I can just pop the memory card into my computer and hack away at it from there. No interface issues at all, although it's no SM57.

Eric
November 5th, 2010, 10:55 AM
My point being (and sorry to hijack your thread, NWB), is that getting a Zoom-type-thing would probably be easier. Then I can just pop the memory card into my computer and hack away at it from there. No interface issues at all, although it's no SM57.
Fair point. I have a Zoom H2 that works pretty well. They can be had for around $100 I think. The one Dee has (R16 IIRC) is a bit more, but that's kind of a mini-mixer too.

NWBasser
November 5th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. The D4 has a built-in condenser mic that I often use for guitar, or sometimes my EV vocal mic for better results. For bass I run a post EQ signal from my Shuttle DI. The D4 has a card and USB to go to computer. It would be much easier to do editing functions on the computer though, I'd guess.

It looks like the best bet is to let the machine run and then try to figure out the editing functions to get rid of the crap parts.

Then again, :beer: might settle the nerves enough to get a good take!

player
November 6th, 2010, 10:34 PM
was looking at something like this:http://www.gadgettown.com/2GB-Round-Digital-Voice-Recorder-Pen-MP3-Silver.html only 8 gig For recording.how it read was click like a pen it records.I wonder if this is true I could record myself too when those recordable moments happen and they do.the one I looked at was from tigerdirect.com(around $40 - 30 something plus tax) who may have this gadgettown as a client.And it is a USB to put into a computer.
the way I see this:http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-4GB-USB-Spy-Pen-Recorder-DVR-Video-Camera-1280-960-/190455677879?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c580b03b7if it can record your voice with video it can or should dang sure record anyone playing their music(guitar)

NWBasser
November 18th, 2010, 03:26 PM
That is a good idea. My only problem is that when I record, I have to set up some things on my computer and hook up my mic, since I usually record my equipment rather than going directly in. I should either start recording directly in, or make hooking things up easier so I can just keep things ready. Also, I need to get my looper back in my standard pedal train and start looping.

I tend to tighten up when I record too, and an idea I just came up with lacks a little something or just is not there, when I decide to record. As you guys have heard, I end up just recording an posting anyway, as I figure most people fight this, and i have to start somewhere.

Yeah Steve, this is what I run into as well. If I'm playing guitar, the recorder is plugged into the bass amp and if I'm on bass it's in front of the guitar amp. Keeping things "ready to go" is not always so convenient. I also have to adjust the levels, mic placement, etc. so that by the time the machine is ready to go, the musical idea is lost.

I like the idea of an H2, but I wonder if it has multi-track capability so that I can add bass later (or add guitar later).

Eric
November 18th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I like the idea of an H2, but I wonder if it has multi-track capability so that I can add bass later (or add guitar later).
It does not do multi-tracking. There are workarounds, like you could copy the recording to your computer, play it back while wearing headphones, and play along to the track with your bass, recording that with the H2. After you have that recorded, add it to the mix as another track in the DAW and adjust as needed.

Not sure if I'm being clear, but hopefully you get the idea.

Spudman
November 18th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Yeah Steve, this is what I run into as well. If I'm playing guitar, the recorder is plugged into the bass amp and if I'm on bass it's in front of the guitar amp. Keeping things "ready to go" is not always so convenient. I also have to adjust the levels, mic placement, etc. so that by the time the machine is ready to go, the musical idea is lost.

Some pro sound guys are using units like the H2 and then they will dump whatever they recorded on it into a computer based DAW program and can edit till they are happy.