PDA

View Full Version : Jammin' with FrankenFretter Today !

Heywood Jablomie
November 5th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I'll be packing my gear and heading north today to see Sean and his gear collection, and to rock out on some tunes. We have no idea as to our musical compatibility but I'm sure we'll find a few tunes we both like. Aside from playing, I'm looking forward to checking out Seans guitars and amps, especially the Agile LP, as I've never seen one up close and personal. Will report back later.

sunvalleylaw
November 5th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Cool! I hope your drive up I-5 is pleasant, and not too traffic delayed! Wave to Tacoma as you drive by!

Heywood Jablomie
November 5th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Cool! I hope your drive up I-5 is pleasant, and not too traffic delayed! Wave to Tacoma as you drive by!
I dunno where you think we live, but I'm in Corvallis, Sean in Monmouth, just 30 minutes north on 99W. We're practically neighbors.

Eric
November 5th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Cool beans. Have fun!

sunvalleylaw
November 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM
oops sorry, I thought it was Bellingham for some reason. Have fun anyway!

bcdon
November 5th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Sounds fun! Drink a pint, or two, of Oregon's finest for me too! :dude

FrankenFretter
November 5th, 2010, 11:10 AM
oops sorry, I thought it was Bellingham for some reason. Have fun anyway!

B'ham is where I used to call home, Steve. Too many gun-toting psychos there for me now. Well, one anyway.

FrankenFretter
November 5th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I think that the important thing about our jam session today is not only do we get to chat about guitars and gear, and try to find some musical common ground, but we also get to drink beer. :dance

Heywood Jablomie
November 5th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I think that the important thing about our jam session today is not only do we get to chat about guitars and gear, and try to find some musical common ground, but we also get to drink beer. :dance
BTW, Sean, did you know you're on Google Streetview? I'm not. Take a look.

sunvalleylaw
November 5th, 2010, 12:22 PM
FF, LOL! I forgot about that. But aren't those survivalists down there in OR somewhere? Maybe more down toward Medford or somewhere.

Heywood Jablomie
November 5th, 2010, 12:26 PM
FF, LOL! I forgot about that. But aren't those survivalists down there in OR somewhere? Maybe more down toward Medford or somewhere.
This is Oregon State University turf. If someone gets pissed off at you, you get a lecture.

sumitomo
November 5th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I thought you just Hashed out your differences and smoked a bowl! Sumi:D

sunvalleylaw
November 5th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I thought you just Hashed out your differences and smoked a bowl! Sumi:D

That's Eugene.

FrankenFretter
November 5th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Heywood- I know my house is on street view, but that's from a while back, before I handbuilt a 13' tall rock wall completely surrounding the compound. I texted you the password to get by the guards.

Steve - We have ultra-conservative, gun-toting, camouflage wearing, tobacco chewing folks around here near Salem. It's sort of like the West Coast version of Dallas, TX. But then again, you probably remember that from your days here during law school, yeah? If you're ever in town for a class reunion or something, let me know! I'll buy you a beer or five, and we'll BS about guitars. Maybe we'll even jam, and I'll learn some things.

Sumi- Yeah, Eugene is the hippie center around here. Or at least it used to be. In Salem, meth is the drug of choice. Makes working there pretty interesting sometimes.

sunvalleylaw
November 5th, 2010, 03:23 PM
HaHa, that was where I was getting the survivalist idea, along with reading that there were some colonies of those guys out in the hills somewhere. I do remember Salem. Do they still have that brewpub place that used to have bands sometimes? North of downtown a bit, west of the freeway by a good bit. I used to go party with this band that played there that did a lot of early U2 covers. (remembers drunken belting out of lyrics pretending you're Bono).

I think it was Boon's. That was a long time ago though. We used to go to Magoo's sometimes too, though that often lead to poor behavior . . .

You guys have fun!

NWBasser
November 5th, 2010, 07:45 PM
If you guys give me a head-up next time, I might be able to come down and throw in some bass!

Aw well, have fun and....

:beer: :beer: :beer: :rockon:

Heywood Jablomie
November 7th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Well, jam-wise, it was kind of a bust, with us finding virtually no common ground in stuff that we each like to play. It was more funny than anything else. We're gonna trade some tabs in the future and see what we can agree to learn for the next session.

But we had a good time discussing guitars, mods, setups, forums, etc., and stuff outside of music, too. Sean's gear collection is very nice - I especially liked his Epi Tribute and his Agile 3000, which is a VERY nice guitar, and an absolute bargain for the price. Oh, and the $130 Tele was quite nice, too.

His music room is chock full of stuff, with a workbench overflowing with pickups, magnets, a Strat project...... Sean really seems to love tinkering.

All in all, a good afternoon.

NWBasser
November 7th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Well, jam-wise, it was kind of a bust, with us finding virtually no common ground in stuff that we each like to play. It was more funny than anything else. We're gonna trade some tabs in the future and see what we can agree to learn for the next session.

But we had a good time discussing guitars, mods, setups, forums, etc., and stuff outside of music, too. Sean's gear collection is very nice - I especially liked his Epi Tribute and his Agile 3000, which is a VERY nice guitar, and an absolute bargain for the price. Oh, and the $130 Tele was quite nice, too.

His music room is chock full of stuff, with a workbench overflowing with pickups, magnets, a Strat project...... Sean really seems to love tinkering.

All in all, a good afternoon.

Oh yeah, Sean's strat project. That's been on the bench for the last, um, what, three years now?:poke

FrankenFretter
November 7th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I really need to learn to loosen up when playing with others. I think I get so self-conscious it kills my playing.

We'll find some common ground, Heywood. I like a lot of different music, and there's bound to be a few that we both like. Next time we'll be better prepared. And next time, I'll bring the beer!

It was great to hang out with Heywood and BS about guitars and gear, even if we didn't do that much actual jamming. Heywood is a great guy, and he's got a lot more playing talent than I do, but I think we'll still have more fun next time. His Dot and Strat are both nice guitars, and those flatwounds on the Dot are pretty cool. I can't wait to put some flats on my Flamekat!

Thanks again, Heywood. Bear with me, I can only get better! ;-)

Eric
November 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Your story sounds very familiar.

This (lack of common ground when playing together) is something I've experienced over and over and over again. I always feel like I'll be able to find something that everyone knows, and I keep being proved wrong. It always comes down to just finding some songs that everyone likes and learning them from the ground up.

Kind of frustrating, but so it goes. My point is that you're not alone in having trouble finding material to play together. It's good that you could at least meet up to talk.

Heywood Jablomie
November 7th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I really need to learn to loosen up when playing with others. I think I get so self-conscious it kills my playing.

We'll find some common ground, Heywood. I like a lot of different music, and there's bound to be a few that we both like. Next time we'll be better prepared. And next time, I'll bring the beer!

It was great to hang out with Heywood and BS about guitars and gear, even if we didn't do that much actual jamming. Heywood is a great guy, and he's got a lot more playing talent than I do, but I think we'll still have more fun next time. His Dot and Strat are both nice guitars, and those flatwounds on the Dot are pretty cool. I can't wait to put some flats on my Flamekat!

Thanks again, Heywood. Bear with me, I can only get better! ;-)
Sean, ALL of us can only get better. Dave (my regular jam buddy) and I are often in near-hysterics when a song or a lead we're playing devolves into a musical trainwreck. It's all fun. Thanks, again - it's great having a new friend with different interests to broaden my horizons.

NWBasser
November 9th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Sean, ALL of us can only get better. Dave (my regular jam buddy) and I are often in near-hysterics when a song or a lead we're playing devolves into a musical trainwreck. It's all fun. Thanks, again - it's great having a new friend with different interests to broaden my horizons.

Heh heh, that reminds me of when our band plays our version of Freebird. During the end jam part, the guitarist and I try to "out solo" each other with me playing these outlandishly fast and flashy bass leads and him going completely overboard until we're both laughing so hard that we can't play at all! Listening to the recording is pretty funny to hear everything go completely over the top.:rollover

However, the drummer thinks it sounds cool...:thwap

Robert
November 9th, 2010, 04:55 PM
That was cool that you guys got to meet up! Great to hear.