View Full Version : NJ = NAD, a mathematical exercise in excess

bcdon
November 6th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Let,
New Job = New Amph Day

Since Day is constant (more or less), solving for Amph gives us:
Amph = Job

A tautology!!

Okay, enough silly math, let's cut to the chase. I got a new job (although I have to quit my current one on Monday, so shhh!) and decided to seriously splurge on a new amph; and, as it turns out, an extension cabinet to boot.

Both are in Bubinga wood and are the most beautiful things I've seen since I saw my wife (this is also a tautology and here to prevent the impending a-s--whipping as she is out of town). ;-)

I only have access to my crappy phone camera but here you go:

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/bcdon/Mesa%20Boogie%20Mark%20V/IMG_0372.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/bcdon/Mesa%20Boogie%20Mark%20V/IMG_0373.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/bcdon/Mesa%20Boogie%20Mark%20V/IMG_0374.jpg

The Mark V is so amazing! The clean is pristine, the crunch is raunchy (in a very classy way!), and the extreme is bad-a--. To be sure, this is way more amph than I am capable of but I really hope to grow into her.

More pictures to follow (after my wife returns with the camera and I get out of traction!).

don

Katastrophe
November 6th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Gorgeous amph, man! I love that raunchy Boogie tone.

FrankenFretter
November 6th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Wow, Don...that's nice! Perfect for a "Full-On" dude like yourself. Congrats!

Btw, I already told your boss that you wanted to fight him in the parking lot before work on Monday. Just be ready, and remember the first rule of Fight Club! (Oh, and the second rule too)

Spudman
November 6th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Oooh la la! It's rockin' at your house now. That's gorgeous. Great amph. I'll trade you for my Blues Junior.:pancake

Tig
November 6th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Wow, what a beauty! Looks like a timeless classic already.
The Mark V has a huge range of tones from pearl clean to all out head bangin' Lamb of God (Mark Morton and Willie Adler both use Mark V's without OD or distortion pedals).

ZMAN
November 7th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Looks like you will need a pilots license to fly that thing.

bcdon
November 7th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Wow, Don...that's nice! Perfect for a "Full-On" dude like yourself. Congrats!

Btw, I already told your boss that you wanted to fight him in the parking lot before work on Monday. Just be ready, and remember the first rule of Fight Club! (Oh, and the second rule too)

Thanks! Actually, I blame you and NWBasser for this (thanks guys!!) as you guys took me to Mojo Discount Music (http://www.mojomusicdiscount.com/) and in my hang-over state I saw this very amph! I had already decided upon a Mark V but had planned to wait until next year; glad I didn't have to. Can't wait for you to come up here and check it out. :dude

As for telling my boss, no worries; we have Canadian-Rules Fight Club up here which means we both say sorry at the same time. :)

bcdon
November 7th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Wow, what a beauty! Looks like a timeless classic already.
The Mark V has a huge range of tones from pearl clean to all out head bangin' Lamb of God (Mark Morton and Willie Adler both use Mark V's without OD or distortion pedals).

To be honest, it was these guys that got me lusting after a Mark V. In fact, I think it was this very video:

2t9Hax53GNY

bcdon
November 7th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Oooh la la! It's rockin' at your house now. That's gorgeous. Great amph. I'll trade you for my Blues Junior.:pancake
Thanks! I'm not so sure about the trade just yet but I'll keep it in mind. ;-)

bcdon
November 7th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Looks like you will need a pilots license to fly that thing.
Hey ZMAN, it's really not too bad as most of the knobs are (bass,gain,&c) repeated for each of the three channels. However, yeah, I see your point. It will certainly take me a long time to learn how to dial things in, but I'm still learning about tone so it will be a fun journey. :dude

bcdon
November 7th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Gorgeous amph, man! I love that raunchy Boogie tone.
Thanks! I was playing the 'crunch' channel a lot last night and it sounds really nice. One thing I've noticed so far is that this amph really brings out the kind of pups you have, this was really apparent when I moved from my guitar with passive pups to my active blackouts... I really had to drop the gain and guitar volume to avoid melting the paint off the wall. :dude

NWBasser
November 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Holy smokes, that thang's sweet!

Nice score Don!

The guitarist in my band plays a Mesa Tremoverb and it's a sweet sounding amph.

I can't wait to get up there to rock that thing out!:dude

MAXIFUNK
November 7th, 2010, 01:27 PM
:applause :applause :applause :rockya :dude :rockya :thumbsup

KILLER SWEET AMP CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FrankenFretter
November 7th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks! Actually, I blame you and NWBasser for this (thanks guys!!) as you guys took me to Mojo Discount Music (http://www.mojomusicdiscount.com/) and in my hang-over state I saw this very amph! I had already decided upon a Mark V but had planned to wait until next year; glad I didn't have to. Can't wait for you to come up here and check it out. :dude

As for telling my boss, no worries; we have Canadian-Rules Fight Club up here which means we both say sorry at the same time. :)

I was supposed to get back to you about the name of that place, and I spaced it! Glad you were able to find it.

So after you both apologize, do you then blame the US for everything? ;-)

Feel free to store that Mesa with me the next time you and Dorothy go on vacation, brother. I'll take real good care of it!

Eric
November 7th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I kind of figured this was the source of your GAS. Congrats!

BTW, how much does it weigh? I've heard it's quite a heavy beast.

guitarhack
November 8th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Awesome score, Don. Enjoy!

bcdon
November 8th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I kind of figured this was the source of your GAS. Congrats!

BTW, how much does it weigh? I've heard it's quite a heavy beast.

Yeah, the combo must weigh at least 70 pounds which is a good thing because if ever someone breaks into my place and tries to lift it they will surely get a hernia along with their new amph!

bcdon
November 8th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Awesome score, Don. Enjoy!
Thanks a lot there buddy!

bcdon
November 8th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I was supposed to get back to you about the name of that place, and I spaced it! Glad you were able to find it.

So after you both apologize, do you then blame the US for everything? ;-)

Feel free to store that Mesa with me the next time you and Dorothy go on vacation, brother. I'll take real good care of it!

No worries, it turns out I had taken a business card with me, which began this journey (as Caesar said 'Alea iacta est! -- the die is cast') :dude

Canadians do tend to blame the US a tad, but, hell, I'm Texan!

I don't plan on lugging this thing out of the house anytime soon, so you and Jason will have to come up here to jam!

hubberjub
November 8th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Even if that wasn't a great amp, those cabs are sweet.

NWBasser
November 8th, 2010, 06:20 PM
No worries, it turns out I had taken a business card with me, which began this journey (as Caesar said 'Alea iacta est! -- the die is cast') :dude

Canadians do tend to blame the US a tad, but, hell, I'm Texan!

I don't plan on lugging this thing out of the house anytime soon, so you and Jason will have to come up here to jam!

Would Dorothy and the neighbours put up with some pounding bass?

Ehh, maybe my guitar rig would be better.

bcdon
November 8th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Would Dorothy and the neighbours put up with some pounding bass?

Ehh, maybe my guitar rig would be better.
You can do whatever you'd like to my neighbours, but keep your bass away from my wife! ;-)

I'm not sure about 'pounding' but I'm sure we can crank it enough to have a proper jam. :dude

NWBasser
November 8th, 2010, 06:27 PM
You can do whatever you'd like to my neighbours, but keep your bass away from my wife! ;-)

I'm not sure about 'pounding' but I'm sure we can crank it enough to have a proper jam. :dude

Cool, I'll bring the 4x10 cab!

JK!

I'm really itching to get up there soon.

I think I've even had all my shots and innoculations to get into Canada.

Robert
November 8th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Congrats Don! Those amps are sweet!

otaypanky
November 9th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Mama's gonna open a big can of Whoop A** when she gets home !

But I think it will be worth the beating

Jimi75
November 9th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I wasn't very impressed with Boogie amphs. The whole rectifier mania didn't touch me too much. My favourite Boogie was the Mark II C+, which is a timeless classic that sounds awesome. Surprisingly, the V is also a great sounding amp. Just last month a friend of mine bought an ENGL amp and we checked also the Mark V. It's the most defined Boogie I have heard in a long time and in fact, the cleas are gorgeous.

Congrats on your new amp.
By the way NJ = always NGD/NPD/NAD

:digit

bcdon
November 9th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Mama's gonna open a big can of Whoop A** when she gets home !

But I think it will be worth the beating

Well my boss took my quiting okay but, as you know, he ain't the boss that matters! To be honest my wife encouraged me to buy it so I think I am okay. That said, I'm sure I'll do something in the not-so-distant future to deserve a butt-whipping. :spank

bcdon
November 9th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Congrats on your new amp.
By the way NJ = always NGD/NPD/NAD

:digit

Nice! Maybe I should start looking for a new job today! :dude
BTW, I agree completely, the cleans are very nice and the reverb is really nice too.