PDA

View Full Version : Joe vs. Steve

Radioboy950
November 7th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Les Pauls seem like the guitar of choice for Joe B, and so I thought it was really cool to see him ripping way at this Music Man (Albert Lee, I think).
From GC's King of the Blues event this year.

Steve Lukather is a very fine guitarist, but Joe's tone and playing are so superior.

FWMj_0xi6NM

helliott
November 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Have to agree, but seeing the two of them together, the total amount of talent on that stage is pretty amazing. Luke is still an amazing player, but he does seem to be trying hard. It's almost as if Joe just sits back and waits, then raises the roof with minimal effort. In any case, they're both amazing, and we're lucky to be able to see them together like that. Thanks for post it!

Jimi75
November 7th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks for posting this video. First of all it shows that Marshall amps sound fantastic and pari excellently with every type of guitar. Joe is playing with more accuracy, Steve really gets some cool tones out of his guitar. To me Lukather is still one of the great songwriters of the 80s and 90s, way to go for Joe B., who seems to be running in circles with his lat outputs. i find it iteresting that in the comments someone is asking if Joe is turning into Eric Johnsons. I have recognized this development already 2-3 albums before Black Rock came out. Still I think that Joe's solos compared to the Had to cry today stuff are pretty boring and foreseeable these days.

Spudman
November 7th, 2010, 03:41 PM
That's a pretty cool video. Thanks for putting it up. Steve sounds so much better to me since he went back to pedals and Marshalls. There are some big Balls on that stage (Ernie Balls). That Albert Lee that Joe has sounds really sweet. Hmmmm. Well, maybe one day.

Luke's problem is that he has more licks than he knows what to do with. Still I love him even though in some live settings he over plays a bit. Of course I've never done that.:rolleyes:

Eric
November 7th, 2010, 06:02 PM
When I saw this thread title, I thought it was going to be about Satch vs. Vai. :)

Cool vid -- thanks for posting.