PDA

View Full Version : more volume from backing tracks

riverrick
November 7th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Having trouble getting enough volume while play along with backing tracks over my PC. These speakers really small. Looking at musicans friend ad & they have some m-audio AV 40 reference speakers. Will they work on my computer??? Need some advice.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Studiophile-AV-40-Powered-Reference-Speaker-System-pair?sku=600092&audienceId=15406184&tiid=4601&src=3TP0L7&ZYXSEM=0

sunvalleylaw
November 7th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I have the same issue and am interested in the same advice. I am considering combining monitors that are powered so I can use them as a little PA and something to play my iPod through also. Maybe something like this would be a good fit.

otaypanky
November 9th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I have some M-Audio BX-5A powered monitors I bought used on eBay. They were in perfect condition. And man, they sound great.
I have a friend who works with M-Audio and I checked with him before I bought them. I had been thinking about getting the larger BX-8 model. But he explained since I would have the monitors rather close to me I would be better off with the smaller BX-5A. I have a computer desk designed to fit in a corner and the monitors are about 3 feet from me, aimed at my ears. There is a real sweet spot for listening, you want them aimed right at your ears for optimal listening. I have them on small platforms that I hung from the ceiling so they are isolated. They sound huge considering their compact size

wingsdad
November 9th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I'll second the M-Audio BX5a's.If all you neeed are 'Nearfield' monitors, these are plenty. They're individually AC-powered, and bi-amped -- 40W amp to the 5" woofer, 30W amp to the 1" dome tweeter, so the low and high ends get pure juice and the crossover network takes care of distributing the mids. They're loud enough to fill a living room with sound if you wanted to (I even used them with a laptop, boom box and vocal mic into one of the mixers in this photo here as a PA for a birthday party in a community center hall about 20" x 50'), but I employ them as otaypanky does, desktop (mine are 'isolated' by setting them on acoustic foam intended for that purpose), in a 10x10 room. Set them at about the height your ears will be, spread and angled inward like at your nose. Like this:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Studio%20Shots/AVStudio09_CloseUp-1.jpg

To get the signal into them from your computer, you'll probably need a stereo y-cable with a stereo mini-plug (1/8") out of your 'puter's audio out and 2 1/4" mono plugs to go into each of the BX5a's. You could get fancier if need be, with XLR plugs or balanced 1/4" plugs for lower signal noise, because they have both those inputs.

EDIT: -I hadn't looked at your link to the m-audios you were checking out; besides a bit smaller woofer/tweeters, those are simpler (not bi-amped, lower powered) and have RCA and 1/8" signal inputs, making them simpler to hook up with your computer than BX5a's. They're also about 1/2 the price (new).

Jimi75
November 9th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Having trouble getting enough volume while play along with backing tracks over my PC. These speakers really small. Looking at musicans friend ad & they have some m-audio AV 40 reference speakers. Will they work on my computer??? Need some advice.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Studiophile-AV-40-Powered-Reference-Speaker-System-pair?sku=600092&audienceId=15406184&tiid=4601&src=3TP0L7&ZYXSEM=0

I think those are absolutely sufficient. I also use a pair of powered monitors and if I want I can get plenty of loud with them :-)
How do you jam to your BTs? Do you play through a real amp or through software? I tend to play through my Line6 Gearboxsoftware, opening the BT in my recording software so I have all possibilities to optimize the volumes of the guitar and the BT. My powered speakers regulate the master volume only. It works perfectly.

riverrick
November 9th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys...very helpful. I play thru my amp. And the small computers speakers just don't get it. Have to crank them all the way. And still not enough volume.

otaypanky
November 9th, 2010, 09:44 PM
If I want to practice my drums along with some music I run it through my PA system. The monitors would be pretty overloaded for that kind of volume

sunvalleylaw
November 9th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I want to do the same thing, and use them near the computer, but also be able to fill the room up enough a few feet away to compete with reasonable room volumes from my amph. So both these Bx5as and the AV40s will do it?

t_ross33
November 9th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I use these (http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1962&brandID=2)for playing at my workstation. I run audio out of my laptop into a cheap RCA audio/video switcher to switch between monitors and a PA system (c/w 1000W 18" subwoofer :dude ) for when I want to wake up the neighbors. I usually play along through my Traynor, sometimes my Vox DA5 depending on how rockin' I need to get. I find the Samsons are plenty loud enough for plunkin' away. Works for me.

ZMAN
November 16th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I just download the tracks to my MP3 IPOD. Then I put it through my stereo in my Music room. I have a set of surround speakers with a powered sub connected to my computer from a company called W.A.V.E. My computer is in my home office. They are great for watching videos and listening to music while browsing.

riverrick
November 18th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I ordered the M-Audio BX5a's and they came today. Man what a difference!!!:dance Thanks to all for the good info. Can always count on the Fret to head me in the right direction.:dude

syo
November 19th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I ordered the M-Audio BX5a's and they came today. Man what a difference!!!:dance Thanks to all for the good info. Can always count on the Fret to head me in the right direction.:dude
I know I'm late to this one but I also would have recommended the BX5a's. I've had mine for a couple of years and think they're excellent for the money.
Glad you're liking your new purchase!