PDA

View Full Version : New song for me to learn.

sunvalleylaw
November 7th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I am getting interested in new chord shapes, and like more and more the melodies of Mayer's latest effort. Check this:

3DcJ6HC0fo0&feature=related

The guy looks like he is pretty accurate.

Inr94kQ6-h0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inr94kQ6-h0

deeaa
November 8th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Whoa, that's weird...I got this Mayer CD in the mail a while back...I used to do game and music reviews WAAYY back in the day, and coincidentally there is another guy with exactly the same name as me out there (Antti Heikkinen) and sometimes I get CD's or games intended for him (promo copies).

I did listen to the CD once thru and didn't even realize it had some guitar content. I kinda liked it in a way, relaxing, very commercial and hyper-produced easy-listening stuff for older people was my initial 'review' and the [EVIL REVIEWER MODE ON] in-your-face well-thought out commerciality of the songs was really quite off-putting for me...seemed like quite tired and used up blues-based melodies & sounds like on a gazillion bluesy-rocky-poppy albums, and just the same-o-same-of slightly bluesy slightly husky sounding, whispering and 'sexy' ball-less AOR singing s*it...not exactly the kind of music I'd listen to actively, more like a good example of what I'd like to avoid ever resorting to making myself but sometimes fear might.[EVIL REVIEWER MODE OFF] plz don't take it the wrong way, I did kinda like it.

BUT now that I listen to this clip, I gotta see if I kept the CD or did I toss it in the bin already, might give it another try and see if I can hear the guitars this time round :-)

sunvalleylaw
November 8th, 2010, 12:11 AM
No worries. I am just interested in exploring some more pop oriented, less minor key guitar melodies. I agree it is quite produced and you need to listen for the guitar. He had been talking about listening to his soul music and pop tunes when he was making this one.

But when you find the guitar in it, I think it has some pretty sweet melodies, and if you get the chords down, a lot of room to take it with your own guitar. I kinda figured he might do that live when he plays the stuff on the road and gets bored with the studio version.