PDA

View Full Version : Lead = more treble ?

bcdon
November 8th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Is a 'lead' tone necessarily higher in treble? If not, what constitutes a lead tone? I know this is rather subjective but I'm curious as to what you guys think differentiates lead from rhythm playing (aside from single note things). Is this even a valid question?

FrankenFretter
November 8th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Are you talking as far as amph settings, or just general tone? I know that if you want to stand out in the mix, it's good to boost the mids, but I don't think that's what you mean.

bcdon
November 8th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Not necessarily amph settings. I'm just curious as to what a lead tone really means. Is it more treble or just overall higher output (volume) level vis-a-vis the rhythm guitar?

deeaa
November 8th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I'd say the crucial factor is the lead tone must be differentiated from the rhythm tone in a way that makes it clearly distinguishable from the backing.

That means, for most practical purposes:

- more volume
- more FX like reverb or delay to create a 'space' for the sound in the mix
- often more biting/cutting tone
- often more compression and/or sustain
- often more drive to allow for single strings to sound stronger in leads

It doesn't need to be all of these. For instance, over a pretty bright backing a dark, thick Les Paul neck pickup legato lead might work wonderful, but it's got to have the FX and the sustain to stand out.

FrankenFretter
November 8th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I'd say the crucial factor is the lead tone must be differentiated from the rhythm tone in a way that makes it clearly distinguishable from the backing.

That means, for most practical purposes:

- more volume
- more FX like reverb or delay to create a 'space' for the sound in the mix
- often more biting/cutting tone
- often more compression and/or sustain
- often more drive to allow for single strings to sound stronger in leads

It doesn't need to be all of these. For instance, over a pretty bright backing a dark, thick Les Paul neck pickup legato lead might work wonderful, but it's got to have the FX and the sustain to stand out.

^ What Dee said. I think you nailed it pretty well, sir.

sunvalleylaw
November 8th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Yeah, deeaa says it correctly. So necessarily, what is required for a lead tone depends on what the background is. Over some nice clean jazz chords being comped, a biting overdriven lead tone with a lot of distortion would not work. But over rock drums, bass, and some distorted power chords, you might need all of that. Maybe it can involve some more treble, but I think it depends.

otaypanky
November 8th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I think Steve's going down the same road I am on this one.
To my thinking, a 'lead tone' is what you use when you do a solo. You can play softly and draw the people in or dime it and stand 'em back on their heels.
A lead tone can be whisper soft or snarly and driven. It all depends on what you're trying to say musically. Like in a conversation, if you're shouting or speaking in a loud booming voice, it doesn't take long for people to stop listening to you. But suddenly whisper something to them and they might just lean in toward you and say "What?" Now you've got their attention.
But unfortunately a whisper soft lead tone is nothing more than a flea fart in a hurricane if the band doesn't follow the dynamics of the soloist.
Music without dynamics is noise to my old ears.

shoemark
November 9th, 2010, 01:53 AM
A lead tone is simply a tone that cuts through the whole mix. You can achieve that through volume or tone using just your amp or effect pedals. It's up to you and the type of music you play. Hope that helps.

Jimi75
November 9th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Well at least it is what most of the pros tell you. More treble, or less bass.
I am with what deeaa said. The lead tone must differ from the rhythm tone.

I have never used setting that differ much from my rhythm tone. I pushed with a TS for example which gave me more volume on the one hand and more gain on the other hand.

Heywood Jablomie
November 9th, 2010, 09:55 AM
One would think from reading this thread that lead can't be played on an acoustic guitar, which would be absurd. "Lead tone" is whatever you want it to be, but obviously, it needs to be loud enough to be heard.

Eric
November 9th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'll say this much: when I get a good-sounding lead tone, it usually sucks for playing rhythm.

R_of_G
November 9th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Over some nice clean jazz chords being comped, a biting overdriven lead tone with a lot of distortion would not work.

I'd say that one's really more a matter of personal taste. I can think of some great Ethiopian jazz by Mulatu Astatke's bands that feature pretty clean chording accompaniment paired up with some very overdriven lead playing making for a great combination.

I agree with Heywood, lead tone is whatever the lead player wants it to be. Whether or not it "works" is a matter of our individual subjective interpetations.

bcdon
November 9th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Very interesting guys, thanks a lot. I'm a slow learner but I did learn one thing from this:
If you are a flea farting in a hurricane you better do it loudly if you want to be heard! :dude

NWBasser
November 9th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Speaking in general terms, I think that a soloist (lead) needs to stand out and be heard in the overall mix. Lots of ways to get there though. Usually the best results come from collaborating with the other musicians so that everyone adjusts their tone/volume/playing to make the soloist stand out.

For instance, as a bass player, I'll often pluck softer and adjust my plucking position to try to make the soloing guitar stand out. I also try to incorporate fills, runs, dynamics etc. to lead the listener towards the coming solo.

Many lead guitar parts are pretty bass-heavy in the tone dept. It's really a matter of working with the other musicians.