PDA

View Full Version : Bandless since 2 months and...

Jimi75
November 9th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I must say it feels pretty good so far. It's not only the hair that had to go, but also some musical dead freight. The bluesband was playing around 50 gigs per year, which at first sounds pretty cool, but there was a development in the band that made me reconsider. The band started out as a cool blues act that played cool blues clubs for people that like Blues music and who appreciate Blues music. It ended as an act that played in shopping malls, as support act for traditional German acts, village fairs etc. This was exactly what I never wanted to do and so I told my band members and tried to bring them back to the roots. I said that playing such gigs is killing my love for the band, for the guitar and in fact it drove my "I wanna play guitar" factor down to almost zero. The result was a phase of 4 months in which I didn't touch the guitar. Thinking about the band made me "sick". Nobody was depending on the money we made with the gigs, the money was kept in the bandpot anyways. The guys in the band were pretty much relying on my output, which was writing songs, arranging songs, writing lyrics and coaching the singer with his lines. Pretty much, he? But I had to respect and tolerate that they really were into this "we play everyhwere" attitude. During summer holiday I was really listening into myself and my heart told me that quitting is the best thing 'cause otherwise I was running the risk to destroy something that I didn't want to destroy. The guys understood my position and we parted without any issues. You won't believe but I feel totally great about it! It was such an issue that I was carrying around.

For a short time I am playing everyday with fun, I record a lot of stuff and rearrange old songs. I am absolutely positive about my muscial future which also has to do with the fact that I signed a profitable deal, writing songs for a new upcoming artist since December 2009. I have produced his demo for several record companies and the work totally fullfils me. It's professional muscial work that currently feeds my family. I have also written a book for kids and in the end of November I have the first meeting with one of Germany's biggest publishers who said he's totally hooked with the script :happy

So right now I am bandless. I have "lost" the blues band, but through this move I have saved my love for guitar playing, revived my interest for guitar related topics, I have set the right priorieties with the beautiful projects at hand.

I think leaving the band was very important. Don't know if some of you have ever experienced such relief in leaving a band, but if so, I'd be interested in hearing your story.

Robert
November 9th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I know what you mean. I have done the same before. I left because it just wasn't fun and not worth continuing with as a result.

We have to enjoy our passions, otherwise they aren't passions!

Writing a book - that sounds interesting. How did you get started on this idea? Sounds impressive to me.

Jimi75
November 9th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I know what you mean. I have done the same before. I left because it just wasn't fun and not worth continuing with as a result.

We have to enjoy our passions, otherwise they aren't passions!

Writing a book - that sounds interesting. How did you get started on this idea? Sounds impressive to me.

Thanks for your words Robert. I am happy to say I enjoy my passion again :-)

The idea came when I was running out of books that I read for my kids before they went to bed. One day I started telling them this kids pirate story. I have told a friend about it and we were brainstorming. Througout the winter of 2009 I wrote a full script (first draft) and presentedit to my friend. Together we tuned the story, made drawings, hired an illustrator and wrote 8 songs accompaniying the story. 3 months ago we made the final draft. A friend of ours was invited to a book reading of a well known author and there he met an old friend who is close with the publisher. A glas of wine, some dinner and a rough outlet of the story and they asked for the script. Now we are in phase 2, preparing everythin and recording three of the songs. :-)
By the way, the musical thing that is going on was also pretty "abnormal". Somebody contacted me through youtube, and first I thought it was a joke, but my wife said, why not calling this guy and asking what's the matter...it turned out to be a great cooperation with some really talented people from the musical branch. I couldn't believe meeting them in person for the first time when production started as it was so unreal what happened over the internet.

aeolian
November 9th, 2010, 01:24 PM
You might be bandless, but you have regained music. You know which means more to you.

jpfeifer
November 10th, 2010, 12:15 AM
To me it sounds like you made the right move. In my experience I've found that it's always best to follow your "gut" instincts, even if this isn't leading in the direction of the money. If your instincts are telling you that your former band was a dead end, and not going in the direction you wanted, even though it provided steady gigs, this was not the right direction for you anyway. But now you have some new things on the horizon that you weren't even expecting before, because you freed yourself from the the band that wasn't providing the inspiration you needed anyway. You are energized with music again because you needed to make that move.

It's interesting that you mention doing a children's book project, this is how I got my first "paying" gig with recording. We met a lady that wrote children's books and she asked my wife and I to write a collection of songs to go with her book. It was a great experience. We had to write a bunch of songs and record them all ourselves, hire other musicians, borrow all the equipment, etc. I didn't know anything, but I learned alot and we ended up with a nice recording. It was completely fun and left me very inspired (although it was a lot of work) I wish that I could figure out some way to make a living doing this kind of thing as you do. I love that process of writing the music and then seeing it come together with the final recording. There is no better feeling in the world then hearing your finished work and knowing that it started with only an idea in your head. Good luck with the project. It sounds like you are heading in the right direction.

--Jim

Jimi75
November 10th, 2010, 03:10 AM
To me it sounds like you made the right move. In my experience I've found that it's always best to follow your "gut" instincts, even if this isn't leading in the direction of the money. If your instincts are telling you that your former band was a dead end, and not going in the direction you wanted, even though it provided steady gigs, this was not the right direction for you anyway. But now you have some new things on the horizon that you weren't even expecting before, because you freed yourself from the the band that wasn't providing the inspiration you needed anyway. You are energized with music again because you needed to make that move.

It's interesting that you mention doing a children's book project, this is how I got my first "paying" gig with recording. We met a lady that wrote children's books and she asked my wife and I to write a collection of songs to go with her book. It was a great experience. We had to write a bunch of songs and record them all ourselves, hire other musicians, borrow all the equipment, etc. I didn't know anything, but I learned alot and we ended up with a nice recording. It was completely fun and left me very inspired (although it was a lot of work) I wish that I could figure out some way to make a living doing this kind of thing as you do. I love that process of writing the music and then seeing it come together with the final recording. There is no better feeling in the world then hearing your finished work and knowing that it started with only an idea in your head. Good luck with the project. It sounds like you are heading in the right direction.

--Jim

Thanks for your kind words and sharing your experiences. Writing songs for kids is so more difficult than most poeple think. But it is very inspiring as you mention. I am totally digging what I am doing right now because the feedback and the musical results are beautiful.

Jx2
November 10th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Ive never been in a band, Ive jammed with some guys with the idea of starting one. It just never materalized. I have one friend that I still jam with today, that we have a natural click. Its nothing for us to sit down and write a song in a day sometimes 2 or 3. Its never really took off though, and honestly I dont think it will because of "family responsibility's". I mean a month ago we started up again to try to get some stuff together for a open mic night at a local brick and morter shop. But in the last 2 weeks we havent gotten together at all because when I have time he has something going on and vise versa.

Anyways, when I first started it was just about just wanting to play. Once I could play a little it became about being in a band. My musical taste's changed alot then to I listen to everything from Billie Holliday to Slayer. A band I was basicaly a roadie and tech for. Ran into a issue when there bass player got arrested and sent to jail for a year, and his replacement followed his lead. I saw a opening and within no time was playing well, but because I had such little time on the bass half the band was afraid to give me a chance and they went with someone else. Shortly after that, I meet my son's mother and when she got knocked up. I decided I needed to focus more on being a dad then playing metal, and living a crazy drunken lifestlye. At that time I was drinking close to a 5th of Jagermeister a day. In hind sight if Id stayed on that course Id probably still be with his mother and a everyday dad. But I think being sober is more important than living like say Dimebag Darrell(who I love as a musician).

Its been 4+ years since he was born, and I hadnt played much of anything in that time except for exploring around with the mandolin. However a few months ago I picked up the guitar and it all just clicked. Stuff that use to be difficult just flows now. Part of me would still love to be in a band, but Im content and happy just plugging in and playing whats in my head or some cover tune. Plus its really cool when my son walks into the room requests Ac/Dc's TnT. And then starts screaming the lyrics. He also knows The Ramones Blitzkreg Pop. That is all the motivation I need now days.

Monkus
November 15th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Good fer you, a lot of people believe in the hype and not themselves...Good on ya !

guitargrizz
January 12th, 2011, 12:48 PM
The transition from being in a band to going solo, or vice versa, is always nice. I find that when I'm in a band for a good period of time, I get extremely uptight and I constantly have to remind myself why I originally joined a band. It's all about your love for music and your joy for writing songs with other good musicians, and until you find the right guys to do that with, you'll tend to run in to this predicament.

At the same time, here I am without a band. I've been bandless for about five months now, and I must say, even though I'm not making it 100% known locally, I still keep my eyes pretty open to creating a new band. I always have hopes of having a band work out sooner or later. But until then, I'll always be making music and growing individually as a guitarist/musician.

otaypanky
January 12th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I hadn't been in a 'band' since the late 70's. (Yeah, I'm old, I fart dust)
Last year I hooked up with a bassist and a drummer. We had a good sound and they were enthused at first. But they were each dabbling with whatever they could pick up so as time went on I realized they didn't bring any energy or commitment to the table. They were already tired whenever we had a chance to practice because they had already been practicing with a few other groups that same week. When we started missing our designated practice night because they had gigs on the upcoming weekend, I decided to bail. As good as the chemistry was musically, it was lacking something.
Life's too short to not play with everything you've got ~
You did the right thing Jimi. And congratulations on the writing gig :thumbsup

Jimi75
January 13th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Thanks for still replying to this older thread! It's great reading what you have to say. I still feel great about my decision. It's been don't know how many months now since I left the band and I feel totally free. Lots of creative energy flowing now...

broke okie
January 13th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I'm another "old guy" and no true bands since the mid 80's. I got tired of ego's and attitudes, drugs and alcohol, but the main reason is that I had missed the first three years of my son's life. My wife had a stroke that same year and that left me as Mr. MOM for about a year until she recovered. It was God's way of saying it's time for a change.

A couple of years later I started a "midi" band with just a singer and I and everything else sequenced. It was a blast but before we knew it, we were playing three or four nights a week, doing our arrangements on Sundays and there went the time with the family again.

Now, 20yrs later I just do the home studio thing for my own pleasure. My drummer is always there on time, my bass player is never drunk.(unless I get carried away) Even though I've always been passionate about my music, I realized that it wasn't a true passion of mine. I would call it more of a "True Love". Passions sometimes turn to addictions and TOO much of anything is not good.

Jimi, I think that you are where you are, for a reason. Don't look back, just go for it!

Katastrophe
January 13th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Technology has evolved to the point that having other musicians around just isn't necessary, if what you're looking for is creativity and personal expression.

In a former band, we auditioned drummers. One guy shows up late, drunk and with only his snare and hi hat. He was an *** the whole time, told us how we were going to "hate to love him," and that he was a better guitar player than myself and my other guitar player.

The point is that working by yourself eliminates that problem. Good on ya, Jimi, for making the decision.

I still have the desire to play live again, so one day I'm gonna find some musicians to play with... But MAN, I'm gonna dread the selection process.

Jimi75
January 13th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I'm another "old guy" and no true bands since the mid 80's. I got tired of ego's and attitudes, drugs and alcohol, but the main reason is that I had missed the first three years of my son's life. My wife had a stroke that same year and that left me as Mr. MOM for about a year until she recovered. It was God's way of saying it's time for a change.

A couple of years later I started a "midi" band with just a singer and I and everything else sequenced. It was a blast but before we knew it, we were playing three or four nights a week, doing our arrangements on Sundays and there went the time with the family again.

Now, 20yrs later I just do the home studio thing for my own pleasure. My drummer is always there on time, my bass player is never drunk.(unless I get carried away) Even though I've always been passionate about my music, I realized that it wasn't a true passion of mine. I would call it more of a "True Love". Passions sometimes turn to addictions and TOO much of anything is not good.

Jimi, I think that you are where you are, for a reason. Don't look back, just go for it!

Thanks for sharing your story broke okie. Very kind and open words.

Jimi75
January 13th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I still have the desire to play live again, so one day I'm gonna find some musicians to play with... But MAN, I'm gonna dread the selection process.

I believe this hasn't been the last round bell for me from a liveplaying point of view. But after almost 20 years of playing live and struggling with the well known band problems I became empty and emotionless toward bandmusic. Further to that I was confronted with envy of my bandmates. They weren't able to share happiness with me, when my personal musical jobs started developping. They feared losing their songwriter and tried to talk me out of these jobs, although I had been dreaming all my life of getting busy writing music for other musicians and getting paid for it. In the end, this behaviour made me sick, but my great love for playing the Blues has not changed and after I get all things running in a nice routine I will perform onstage again. Of course I will never again play in such a constant modus like I did with the last band. 2-3 gigs per year, some sessions...more than enough nowadays.