PDA

View Full Version : Tonelab vs AD30VT

tot_Ou_tard
October 22nd, 2006, 09:31 AM
I have both.

Why, you ask?

Because I got the AD30VT when I first started playing guitar about 10 months ago. I got tired of bothering my neighbors and family with all the repetative poorly played stuff that comes with learning an instrument. It made me to shy to really relax, play, and explore. I live in a townhouse so the neighbors are *right there*. We do have a basement however.

I didn't like the headphone out on the AD30VT (it comes beforethe ValveReactor). So I got a Tonelab. I couldn't be happier. I can explore all kinds of tone at whatever volume I want without disturbing anyone too much.
I have also come to like the added flexibiliy in models etc that the Tonelab has.
It is also easier to set the effects as it has three dedicated knobs (the AD30VT has one knob and two buttons to hold down: no button, hold buttom 1, hold button 2 give turn one knob into three knobs) with an LED readout so
it is easy to know what parameters correspond to what knob. There is also a built in tuner. The Tonelab also has a presence control--very useful!!

Finally, you can store 96 patches on the Tonelab, but only two on the AD30VT.

Now, here's the kicker. I usually like the tone I get from my Tonelab via headphones better than the AD30VT. I guess that says something about the cab models on the Tonelab and the cab on the AD30VT, because the AD/DA has less precision on the Tonelab.

There is also the fact that I am using very good headphones: Sennheiser HD 580's with an Headroom Airhead headphone amp, that I just happened to have lying around for quite some time ;)

I still like my AD30VT. Since I don't get to crank it very often, I like that I understand how to use it from messing with the Tonelab so I can quickly dial in what I want. I do find however, that I need slightly different settings on the AD30VT than on the Tonelab.

Here are the vaious mods I have done:

AD30VT: Celestion Vintage G10 speaker. Groove Tube Mullard 12AX7. I also removed the back panel.

Tonelab: Balanced JJ Gold pin ECC803s tube.

A caveat is in order. If I have learned anything in my short time playing. Is that perspectives like this change quite often, because I used to like the tone from my AD30VT better. If I spent as much time with it, I'd probably learn more of its quirks.

tot_Ou_tard
October 22nd, 2006, 10:16 AM
Alright just to be perverse & prove myself wrong, I went into the basement & cranked up the AD30VT and after messing for awhile I got some really nice sweet tones.

It was a little bit harder to tame the top end than with the Tonelab, but delightful nonetheless. Nothing beats being surrounded by sound.

Back to my mad experiments....:R

SuperSwede
October 23rd, 2006, 03:35 AM
Keep cooking those mad recipes in the lab... I learn something new all the time. The computer editor is amazing, so if you dont have midi on your computer I suggest you get a usb-midi adapter.

tot_Ou_tard
October 23rd, 2006, 05:50 AM
Keep cooking those mad recipes in the lab... I learn something new all the time. The computer editor is amazing, so if you dont have midi on your computer I suggest you get a usb-midi adapter.
But the 'spolsions!!! BAM! BOOOM!

I don't know if I have midi. How can I tell?

SuperSwede
October 23rd, 2006, 08:41 AM
If you dont know, you probably dont have it.
This is a cheap but reliable USB-Midi converter:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno-main.html

tot_Ou_tard
October 24th, 2006, 05:31 AM
If you dont know, you probably dont have it.
This is a cheap but reliable USB-Midi converter:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno-main.html
No I don't have that.

Thanks SS!

aeolian
October 24th, 2006, 09:01 AM
My situation is similar to yours. For several years I played my guitars and bass through a J-Station because it allows me to play without any noise. I like the sound I get from the J and recording with it is very convenient.

A while ago I found a good deal on a used AD30VT and bought it. Since then I started playing once a week with a drummer, a bass player and another guitar player. When I started cranking up the AD30VT is when I discovered that I could not get very good tone with many of the amp models. Since then I've found some patches for the AD30 that I will try out; perhaps I just did not have my amp set up for the good tones. I'm also thinking about switching out the speaker for the Celestion G10.

I welcome any and all suggestions.

aeolian

tot_Ou_tard
October 30th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Since then I've found some patches for the AD30 that I will try out; perhaps I just did not have my amp set up for the good tones. I'm also thinking about switching out the speaker for the Celestion G10.

I welcome any and all suggestions.

aeolian

Yes, try the speaker change and fiddle with those knobs you should find something you like.

Spent alot of time in my new basement music room with the AD30VT turned up & I know recant everything that I said. I get incredible sounds from it & I am now prefering it to the Tonelab. I am having a blast.

Sooooo...just ignore everything I ever say (not that you need to be told that!)

Tim
October 30th, 2006, 09:45 AM
This is what I have found out through experience. If you plan to use the AD30VT with a band, be expected to turn up your volume and power levels to full max. This will cause the amp to be over driven and also vibrate. The AD30VT is a practice amp, not a performing amp (unless you mic it at the normal volume levels). This amp will not keep up with a drummer or other loud band members

sunvalleylaw
October 30th, 2006, 10:07 AM
This is what I have found out through experience. If you plan to use the AD30VT with a band, be expected to turn up your volume and power levels to full max. This will cause the amp to be over driven and also vibrate. The AD30VT is a practice amp, not a performing amp (unless you mic it at the normal volume levels). This amp will not keep up with a drummer or other loud band members

Do you feel the same about the AD50VT?

Tim
October 30th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Steve,

I never played the AD50VT. Check with Robert. He owns one. As stated by fellow Fretter to me if you’re going to play in a band, don’t go below a 60 watt solid state amp. I believe it was dahvoodooman who said a 30 watt tube will blow away a 60 watt s/s amp.

I was going to buy a new amp, but decided to hold back until I get the chance to try several models and their wattages. It will probably be around spring time before I look for another amp.

Robert
October 30th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Steve, the 50 is definitely loud enough to gig with. No problemo.

sunvalleylaw
November 2nd, 2006, 10:10 AM
Yes, try the speaker change and fiddle with those knobs you should find something you like.

Spent alot of time in my new basement music room with the AD30VT turned up & I know recant everything that I said. I get incredible sounds from it & I am now prefering it to the Tonelab. I am having a blast.

Sooooo...just ignore everything I ever say (not that you need to be told that!)

Ok tot: let me ask . . . you started 10 months ago, I started 7 or so, and have been playing acoustic, so no amp. If you were to do it over for a first amp, would you go with the AD50, the AD30, or combine the tonelab with something to amplify it when you want to play out loud? I think I could do fine with the 30 for practice and home stuff, but will likely start jamming with some guys including a drummer who likes to bang it out. I am torn between saving the extra 120 between the two. Will likely be my only amp for awhile. On the other hand, I could save the 120, learn with the 30 and save for a tube amp such as a Pro or Blues Jr. or the like. Hmm. GAS again.

tot_Ou_tard
November 2nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
Ok tot: let me ask . . . you started 10 months ago, I started 7 or so, and have been playing acoustic, so no amp. If you were to do it over for a first amp, would you go with the AD50, the AD30, or combine the tonelab with something to amplify it when you want to play out loud? I think I could do fine with the 30 for practice and home stuff, but will likely start jamming with some guys including a drummer who likes to bang it out. I am torn between saving the extra 120 between the two. Will likely be my only amp for awhile. On the other hand, I could save the 120, learn with the 30 and save for a tube amp such as a Pro or Blues Jr. or the like. Hmm. GAS again.
Yikes! be careful listening to me. Super Swede did & bought a Godin Radiator & quickly dumped it for a Schecter & is all the happier for it.

The first thing you should know about the 30 is that you'll soon want to replace the speaker. A common choice is the Celestion Vintage 30, that sets you back ~$80. The 50 has a better speaker so you are already near the 50 in cost.

But ideally I'd get a blue front valvetronix head & a decent cab, that'd work for everthing: home & gigs & I think the line out comes after the valvereactor on the blue models, so it would work fantastically for headphone use and recording. You also get more amp models, independent knobs for modulation, delay, and reverb and a knob for pedals. I don't know if they make the blue front models any more. In any case they are more expensive & after adding in the cost of the cab you are getting up there. A cab seems perfect because you can buy different heads and use the same cab.

For me it is better to avoid spending too much money too early. I don't have alot to spend & my perceptions of what I want change radically because I am a newbie. I learn a new technique or song & start looking for a particular type of sound. That is why I love my Vox's. I can get many different sounds. The downside is that I spent alot of time early on alternating between hating & loving the tone. There are so many options that it takes awhile to understand what works with the guitars you have and the music you are playing.

I'm very happy with what I have. The AD30 VT sounds great. I plan to bring the Tonelab to work at some point so I can practice at lunch etc. I've never heard the Tonelab through a PA, but that might work.

As far as tube amps I'd like to try a Peavey Delta 30. but since I've never really played through a tube amp I can't give you an opinion on that.

babble, babble, boo.

Good luck Steve!!

sunvalleylaw
November 2nd, 2006, 11:40 PM
Yikes! be careful listening to me.
I'm very happy with what I have. The AD30 VT sounds great. I plan to bring the Tonelab to work at some point so I can practice at lunch etc. I've never heard the Tonelab through a PA, but that might work.

As far as tube amps I'd like to try a Peavey Delta 30. but since I've never really played through a tube amp I can't give you an opinion on that.

babble, babble, boo.

Good luck Steve!!

Thanks man. That was what I was looking for. I am going to hold out a little while for the 50. I would rather get the larger speaker than wish I had more later. I cannot spring as high as a decent tube amp, and being also a newbie, want to experiment more. I can always sell or trade in the 50 later if I decide strongly on a particular tone. However, I am all over the map as to what I want to sound like, so I don't see that happening soon.

r_a_smith3530
November 3rd, 2006, 10:05 PM
Before you make a final decision, also check out Peavey's Valve King series. A fellow I know was at Sam Ash when I was there the other day, and he was going back and forth between the Vox, the Line 6 amps, and the Valve King series, using a Heritage Les Paul Standard model. I have to say, the Valve King stood out as a tone monster. Versatility to the extreme is the Valve King's stock in trade. If I hadn't been captivated by the bottom end, my Classic 50/410 might have to make room for a bunk mate!

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/list/cat/308/ValveKingSeries.cfm