PDA

View Full Version : Basement studio

tot_Ou_tard
October 22nd, 2006, 04:13 PM
I thought it was about time to dedicate more household space to my music. So with my wife's encouragement I went into the basement & completely cleaned & rearranged it.

The basement is good sized, clean, with high ceilings. I got some good carpeting that my son & fiancee were trying to pawn off on someone. Some tables and chairs that used to be in my kitchen 10 years ago & were in my son's apartment for a year or two. My wife dug out my son's old music stand from when he played sax in elementary school. I put my guitar books and music there.

Presto chango a nice place to play! Not anything like Warren's but I am extremely happy. Now I just need a coupla' guitar stands so I can leave
my axes out & ready to play.

Plenty of room down there for some more axes, pedals, amps,...O, the GAS!

I celebrated with a homemade protein, yougurt, & frozen blueberry smoothie.

I added a little vodka to it. You might argue that it defeats the purpose. But that depends on just what purpose one had in mind doesn't it. ;)

Spudman
October 22nd, 2006, 07:10 PM
Vodka and smoothies are nom d' rigeur for new jam sites. We're all coming over to help you break it in so get the blender back out.

Congrats by the way. It's great to have a dedicated space to play that is your own. Enjoy.

warren0728
October 22nd, 2006, 07:38 PM
very cool tot!! I recommend string swings to hang your guitars on the wall....keeps you from tripping over them or knocking them over!

ww

SuperSwede
October 23rd, 2006, 03:24 AM
Sounds nice Tot! You gotta post some pics :)

Tell me about that vodka smoothie, I havent tried one of those before.

tot_Ou_tard
October 24th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Vodka and smoothies are nom d' rigeur for new jam sites. We're all coming over to help you break it in so get the blender back out.

Congrats by the way. It's great to have a dedicated space to play that is your own. Enjoy.
Thanks,

I'll have those smoothies purring. Of course, if you guys are late I cannot in good conscious let all that delectable goodness go to waste.

T'would be wrong.

Warren. The walls are cinderblack. So for the time being I'll just use stands. If it gets troublesome then I go buy a cinderblock drill bit.

SS: Smoothies can be made very simply. I have a cuisinart stick blender that I can just stick into a large cup or into a bowl, but a blender will work.

I put whey protein powder (that is there just so I can pretend that it's dinner ;) ) and a little water & mix it up. Add some plain yogurt and some frozen fruit blueberries, strawbwrries, mango, herring whatever you have in Sweden.

Give it a whirl. If you want it sweeter add honey or sugar & blend it before adding the frozen fruit.

Add in the vodka (if you choose) & one last whirl. Actually, that was the first time I put vodka into a smoothie. I usually just drink them plain.

I'm sure that there are other "recipes" but this one is simple & with my stick blender takes about 5 minutes with no muss or fuss.

Spudman
October 24th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Thanks,

I usually just drink them plain.

What? No berries or yogurt. That's not very healthy. You gotta stay healthy in your new studio.:)

tot_Ou_tard
October 24th, 2006, 07:02 AM
What? No berries or yogurt. That's not very healthy. You gotta stay healthy in your new studio.:)
& no protein powder. It's a new concoction that I invented.

I call it H20.

Zingy name. I think it might sell for a coupla' bucks a pop!

SuperSwede
October 24th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Oh.. I thought you meant plain vodka. I dont have any of the other ingredients at home right now, but I can pour some Absolut in the blender and press the pulse button a couple of times. Tada! Dinner is served.

tot_Ou_tard
October 24th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Oh.. I thought you meant plain vodka. I dont have any of the other ingredients at home right now, but I can pour some Absolut in the blender and press the pulse button a couple of times. Tada! Dinner is served.
What? .... No Herring?!?

SuperSwede
October 24th, 2006, 10:54 AM
What? .... No Herring?!?

No herring... Only a piece of lutfisk

Robert
October 24th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Haha! Funny, Swede! :eek:

tot_Ou_tard
October 30th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Mmmmm...that's good lutfisk!

I decided to try to improve the acoustic separation between the basement and the rest of the world on the cheap. I went to Lowe's looking for acoustic batting, but all they had was insulation. So I bought one roll of R25 to use between the studs on the drywall between where I play and the stairs and a little bit above the cinderblock wall behind my amp and the ceiling (floor of our first floor).

Man, I hate cutting insulation.

I am thinking about lining the entire ceiling above the "music room", but I would rather use a less troublesome material. Any suggestions? Think cheap n' easy.

ted s
October 30th, 2006, 07:39 AM
tot_ , instead of fiberglass there is another bat material called "Roxul", here anyway, it is mineral instead of glass, no ichy ichy, cuts real nice but costs a little more. It's also water and flame proof.

tot_Ou_tard
October 31st, 2006, 07:11 AM
Thanks ted. I'll look into the stuff.