PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul Junior

Tone2TheBone
December 1st, 2005, 04:18 PM
While this is a Les Paul thread I figured that the Junior would fit here nicely. :)

This past summer I took my oldest teenage daughter to see Green Day at the Journal Pavillion here in town. They rocked. Good band with strong songs and a good sound overall. Reminded me of my youngster rock and roller days even though their music is borderline "punk". I liked them a lot and they've become hugely popular. Anyway Billy Joe Armstrong mostly played Les Paul Juniors although he did play his Fernandez Strat and another Gibson guitar similar to a 335. I've always been a big fan of the dog eared P-90 pickups. I've been thinking of trying to get a Les Paul Junior for my daughter who has decided that she wants to start "a band". Has any one here played one? I could let her borrow one of my guitars but it gives me the chance to justify buying a cool little guitar like that! (well for her use of course... ;) )

Nelskie
December 16th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Hey Tone - I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but if your daughter (or maybe someone else?!!) is still in the market for a P-90-equipped guitar, Hamer makes a very nice double-cutaway styled P-90 for around $300! As you know, I have a Hamer double-cutaway (with HB's) and it's a honey of a player. Body is smaller (perfect for a young lady); the neck is very easy to play. Cosmetics are nice, too - they come in a gold-top, or a quilted / flamed maple sunburst finish. I've seen a P-90 goldtop model going for less than $250 on Ebay - and that's a pretty decent buy for a really solid guitar. I would defininitely recommend putting some different tuners on it, though (the ones that came stock on my guitar were complete garbage. It now has Grovers.)

Epiphone does make a budget model of the LP Jr., but from what I've read they're very sketchy as far as quality and tone go. Real Juniors fetch around $600, and while they're nice, it might be more that you're willing to spend for a starter rig. As your daughter gets better, move up to better gear. Who knows, maybe she's another Bonnie Raitt in the making!! ;)

Tone2TheBone
December 19th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Dude, the Hamer "Special" is sweeeeeeeet. Look at the wood on that guitar!

http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=series&sid=432

Classic LP Junior body. Sexy Tortoise Shell pickguard. The ultimate in P-90 pickup. Yes something like that would be very nice.

Nelskie
December 19th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Yes - that axe is very tasty, indeed! I bet that guitar just RIPS it up, too. Could you imagine what that would sound through your Marshall Jubilee? Yeah, like WOW! I see that its a USA custom, so it'd probably some addt'l green - but man, that would be a cool little axe to have. Er, I mean for your daughter to have . . . ? :p

SuperSwede
December 20th, 2005, 05:41 AM
When I worked in a music store we had a old "TV Yellow" LP jr. It was built like a tank, I think you could beat up the audience with it and still have the guitar in perfect tuning ;-)

Tone2TheBone
December 20th, 2005, 05:05 PM
SS,

I also love that TV Yellow colour. I think my collection would be complete with both colours (red, tv yellow) in the Junior! I dunno theres just something about the body and the simplicity of the guitar that I love.

SuperSwede
December 23rd, 2005, 11:45 AM
Yeah, it has a very distinct sound. Much attack and steel, it really does sound more like a Tele than a LP.
And sure, the red one is a beauty as well! :)