PDA

View Full Version : swede's cool bt with melody

helliott
November 14th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Swede posted this in the bt section, and loved it when I heard it. Reminds me of a one of those high school dance tunes when the guys danced too close. Or else a west coast crime movie from the 80s. Anyway, added a quick melody -- anyone interested in using it to start a new collab?
I used my ES339 through a new amp, Traynor Darkhorse. Great small amp for low wattage use at home and real small rooms out. Nice speaker with removable back panel, -- 12 inch celestian greenback.

http://www.box.net/shared/99zx4m31dt

Sorry, posted first link only as windows media. Here's the file converted to mp3

http://www.box.net/shared/a176y1z07t

Spudman
November 14th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Great stuff. Nice playing and very melodic.

SuperSwede
November 15th, 2010, 03:23 AM
You came up with a really nice melody Helliot! Love the tone too! :)

SuperSwede
November 15th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Here is my take on this backer... it should be called "who´s afraid of the big bad delay"... :D
Its kinda sloppy but I think that the middle rhythm part became quite nice!

Anyhow, this is strat>blackstar HT-drive>Garageband(plus delay! and reverb).

http://www.box.net/shared/zhpfnib6nb

http://ecologica.blogg.se/images/80_s_1197225421.jpg

Spudman
November 15th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Really nice SS. Great tone and restraint. I really like your approach.

helliott
November 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Agree with moderator Spud on this. Lovely tone, lots of room. And the rhythm solo part over the minor transition is really nice. Also you got yours down in the mix just right so it doesn't overwhelm the BT, whereas mine was too far out in front. Super job Swede! :applause :thumbsup :dude

sunvalleylaw
November 15th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Really nice, both of you! :thumbsup :thumbsup Nice melodies, and nice rhythms!

SuperSwede
November 16th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Thanks! Anyone else wanna have go at the backing track?

Robert
November 16th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Sweet guys, you both sound awesome!

helliott
November 16th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks all. I'm with Swede -- who else will get in on this. It's short and catchy, and wide open to make your own. C'mon down!

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah, more guitars! More players! Glad to see another track going!

NWBasser
November 24th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks! Anyone else wanna have go at the backing track?

I think some fretless bass in there would sound nice.

NWBasser
November 24th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks all. I'm with Swede -- who else will get in on this. It's short and catchy, and wide open to make your own. C'mon down!

If I wanted to put a bassline in it, how would I accomplish that?

SuperSwede
November 25th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Load up the backing track in your recording software, add another track and then play along (dont forget to press record ;) )

deeaa
November 25th, 2010, 02:15 PM
You did a very impressive job of generating a very nice melody and using it to great effect repeatedly yet not sounding repetitive. I really should work on keeping up leads that way, so they'd be interesting without going to a gazillion directions and tricks within seconds even. One gripe though, it sounds slightly off-tune though at times to me...is the guitar intonation quite accurate? Even so, good work.

SuperSwede
November 26th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Heh.. well the strat needs a visit to my luthier since the frets are so uneven. So I havent bothered with the intonation for a while.

deeaa
November 26th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Actually I was referring to Helliot's take...my bad, shoulda quoted. I actually missed yours completely, the link was so close to a picture. But, great work there too, and very refined-stylish sound.

NWBasser
November 26th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Load up the backing track in your recording software, add another track and then play along (dont forget to press record ;) )

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have recording software. My setup is quite primitive and consists of a Korg D4 4-track digital recorder.

About the best I could do is to run a 1/8-inch line into the second input of the recorder from my computer and then run my bass into the other channel to try to combine them. It would sound a bit cheesy, but might get the idea across at least.

NWBasser
November 26th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Heh.. well the strat needs a visit to my luthier since the frets are so uneven. So I havent bothered with the intonation for a while.

My cousin's strat had such worn frets that you couldn't even for chords anymore without it sounding horrible. I'd definitely recommend a fret job for it.

helliott
November 26th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hmmm. Listened to it again and have to say I can't here much out of tune, although maybe the E string is a tad flat. I heard this and the melody popped into my head, so I plugged in the 339 and recorded it right off, without tuning, which I would typically do. Must be tuning if there is something there, as the 339 is a recent acquisition and the intonation is bang on.

deeaa
November 27th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I listened to it again as well - indeed a nice melody still - and I think it's more like the overall tuning is a bit flat in relation to the backing. Not by that much but a little.

I'm very anal about tuning :-) I like to play a little bit 'Neil Young' style in that I may push it a little loosely/slightly off key now and then, but I'm always keen on checking I'm in tune exactly overall. Sometimes I adjust intonation during the recording of a song for one part, you know, because it's always a compromise...if you want a well-intonated open it can't be well intonated for lead work on the same guitar, unless the frets are of those uneven type...anyway, that's how anal I am about tuning :-)

Even in recording work I try my best not to use autotune on vocals even if it might benefit some, but I'm more likely to use autotune on guitar & bass parts now and then.

That's one of the reasons I find it weird to listen to some older records, like Rolling stones sometimes sounds so out of tune it hurts to listen to :-)

SuperSwede
November 27th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Yeah, unfortunately I don't have recording software. My setup is quite primitive and consists of a Korg D4 4-track digital recorder.

About the best I could do is to run a 1/8-inch line into the second input of the recorder from my computer and then run my bass into the other channel to try to combine them. It would sound a bit cheesy, but might get the idea across at least.

I´m looking forward to listen to your take with the bass! :digit

NWBasser
December 11th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I´m looking forward to listen to your take with the bass! :digit

Done.

Click here to listen to Swede's 80s.mp3 (http://tindeck.com/listen/sqlo)

Sorry, I didn't quite catch a couple changes exactly on time.

NWBasser
December 12th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Oh crud!

After I posted that, I listened to it on the good home stereo and could really hear my mistakes. Especially the transitions!:thwap

I did the recording through headphones which I always have trouble hearing things clearly.

I'll try a different approach without phones and get a better take. Stay tuned.

NWBasser
December 12th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I think this one came out better. I used my Clement fretless instead of the GW for this one.

Click here to listen to pop backer 2.mp3 (http://tindeck.com/listen/vgqv)

SuperSwede
February 4th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Hey NW I must have missed this before and now the link doesnt seem to work!

NWBasser
February 21st, 2011, 02:45 PM
Hmm, it's still there on Tindeck. I'll try to repost.

Click here to listen to Swede's 80s.mp3 (http://tindeck.com/listen/sqlo)