PDA

View Full Version : Techs you wanted to learn, but failed

Jimi75
November 15th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Isn't it that everyone of us comes to a point where he has to admit that he will never manage to learn this or that technique? Most of the time it's due to a lack of time or simply because one doesn't get it.

I always dreamed of being able to play tapped arpeggios and scales, fast and accurate without fret noise, creating long fluent runs including tapped passages. I never managed to come further than the usual super simple tappings. I tried hard and almost managed the entire passage of Extreme's "Get The Funk Out" solo, but altghough having a good knowledge of theorie itself, I never managed to come up with cool tapped runs. My brain was blocking in some way.

What's your "I never made it" technique that you really wished you could play?

Spudman
November 15th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Sweep picking. It just doesn't come together for me. I'm going to try a little more this winter and see if I can move it along some, but I just can't get my hands to coordinate on this one.

R_of_G
November 15th, 2010, 09:48 AM
For me it's fingerpicking. I've tried several times, but my right hand just doesn't want to cooperate. I'm just much more comfortable with a pick, so much so that even when I play bass I typically play with a pick. I know if I put in a concerted effort and ignored the frustration that I can get it, but the last few attempts failed miserably.

Eric
November 15th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Umm...well probably any number of techniques, but in particular it would be double-tapping/EVH playing for me.

I've never really sat down with it and earnestly tried to learn a Van Halen solo because they seemed well out of my reach from a technical standpoint, but I could never get double-tapping to sound right.

sunvalleylaw
November 15th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Not sucking.

Seriously though, I am still learning and improving, but basic technique is still a challenge. I am still learning to stretch for various chord shapes, etc. with clean fretting technique, and smoothness and fluidity and good tone on picking and fretting in general. Those I believe I will eventually improve.
But I do not see myself becoming a monster sweep picking shredder any time soon.

marnold
November 15th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Just building speed in general. Too bad all of my heroes are speed freaks. The big thing is just dedication and time. You really have to be persistent, patient, and practice faithfully.

Like Spud I've always wanted to learn sweep picking. Metal Method is coming out with a new course designed specifically for that. I'm going to get that and then keep at it until I can sweep like a madman.

Here's a preview of one of the more advanced licks:
PnZZe7j9v50

If I could play that halfway decently I'd be as happy as a little girl.

progrmr
November 15th, 2010, 02:04 PM
speed has always been an issue for me - have this one run in a jazz tune I'm learning...it's so fast - I can't get it. I'm going to evaluate every single picking motion to ensure I'm picking as efficiently as possible but that's the last un-turned stone...it's only like 12 notes too! haha!

I'm also learning to play piano - right hand chords and the stupid damper pedal...man, it's a whole different level of coordination that is just not clicking with me.

Robert
November 15th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Being able to use alternate picking effortlessly at any speed and in any way. I can do okay if I play certain patterns, but for example, changing from, say G to D strings with an upstroke on the G string, is very difficult for me at even medium tempos. I have to "plan it out" so it's a downstroke on the G string and then an upstroke on the D string.

ibanezjunkie
November 15th, 2010, 03:22 PM
way too much stuff i wish i had the time to learn.

Being largely a thrash/metal/80's/glam fan, ive always been rather frustrated that i generally suck at playing metal :/

oldguy
November 16th, 2010, 04:55 AM
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
All of the above.......
:thwap :thwap

Retro Hound
November 16th, 2010, 09:07 AM
3 chords. I can do G and C pretty good, but when I throw a D in there...

deeaa
November 16th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Lots of stuff probably, much that I haven't even thought of trying...but one thing is quite clear: fast right-hand picking. If I could double or triple the picking speed I'd be able to play much faster.

I guess I just plow the strings way too hard and deep to be able to shred at all.

Retro Hound
November 17th, 2010, 08:11 AM
If I could double or triple the picking speed I'd be able to play much faster.

I thought about using this in my signature!

Katastrophe
November 17th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I've been trying to sweep for years now. Still can't do it.

deeaa
November 17th, 2010, 08:43 AM
I thought about using this in my signature!

LOL I gotta blame the painkillers...six days from my tonsillectomy, couching up huge bloody chunks of weird white stuff and gulpin' down three different painkillers a dozen times a day...been lying on the sofa semi-comatose all day. Can't friggin' even eat soup no more, hardly open my mouth...not funny at all...but that explains the brain fart :-)

Jimi75
November 17th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Reading all your posts, I suggest we rent a bus and make a nice little trip to Clarksdale Mississsippi...I've heard there's a certain CROSSROAD where we can make a deal and get rid of our playing problems *hahahahaha*

pes_laul
November 17th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Not overplaying.

Eric
November 17th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Not overplaying.
That's a technique???

Katastrophe
November 17th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Absolutely, Eric... Knowing when not to play is as important as any other technique, IMO.

Eric
November 17th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Absolutely, Eric... Knowing when not to play is as important as any other technique, IMO.
Not to toot my own horn, but I taught my fingers not to play a long time ago! Who knew I was this good?? ;)

Katastrophe
November 17th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Me, too, when you look at it that way. I guess we're both virtuosos!:happy

R_of_G
November 23rd, 2010, 02:22 PM
Reading all your posts, I suggest we rent a bus and make a nice little trip to Clarksdale Mississsippi...I've heard there's a certain CROSSROAD where we can make a deal and get rid of our playing problems *hahahahaha*

You were thinking something like this? ...

http://i52.tinypic.com/23msw20.jpg

:dude

Jimi75
November 24th, 2010, 02:29 AM
You were thinking something like this? ...

http://i52.tinypic.com/23msw20.jpg

:dude

EXACTLY!!!