PDA

View Full Version : Help

Jx2
November 15th, 2010, 10:17 AM
A friend of mine and I have been bouncing idea's off each other for a few months now. We've played off an on together for years but now we've found us layerin parts alot instead of just jamming the same riff's. Only problem with that is we have got to get a drum machine and a recording device. He told me to get a recording device and he'll get the drum machine.

So what kind of device should I get? Should I start with a $50-$100 digital recorder device or should I get a small digital 4 track recorder? The main reason we need a recording device is not to make a demo but because our memory isnt what it use to be. If we dont play something for days on in we both seem to forget stuff. Especially with the layering, some of these dont sound to good without the other part.

What would you recommend? Also Im not against going old school and looking for a multi track analog recorder either. Mainly because we arnt looking to make demo's. Just to be able to work on some stuff. And we are both on limited budgets and x-mas around the corner.

marnold
November 15th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Do you have mics or any other recording equipment? Does your amph have a line-out? If not, and all you want to do is record ideas as you go along, a little digital recorder would seem to make sense.

t_ross33
November 15th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I have a small Sony digital recorder that I use to capture song and lyric ideas, but the audio quality is pretty low. A friend of mine uses something like this (http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1994&brandID=4)and I've been impressed with the results.

Alternately you could look at a USB interface and some DAW software. I also use Acoustica Beatcraft to do drum loops and backing tracks.

Keep us posted. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Jx2
November 15th, 2010, 06:59 PM
He has a pa and mic's and what not. I was digging on ebay and found a old tascam 4 track fairly cheap. I then called him to see what he thought and ended up going to wal mart and bought a little digital recorder. Cool part is if we get something complete the sound quality might not be the best but I can share it here with you guys. Wouldnt be able to do that with a cassette tape, plus neither of us has a way to copy the tapes so we'd have do everything twice just to have 2 copys.

t_ross33
November 18th, 2010, 11:54 AM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid