PDA

View Full Version : How do Aux Sends work for monitors?

Monkus
November 15th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I'm using a Xenyx 1832 FX as the board for our church project but don't understand how using the Aux sends to the stage monitors work. The stage wedges are powerd Behr 215's. I have a feeling its something really simple but for now it eludes me.

How do I connect it?
Pre or post fader?
Tips and tricks?

Help?

:thwap

Spudman
November 15th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Your master (stereo) outs will go to your main system (mains), the Aux outs are the same signal usually pre fader. Just take your master Aux out and send it into your monitors. Then the Aux knob on each channel will determine the mix that is sent to the main Aux out.

If you use Pre fader then your monitor mix wont change until you change an Aux knob on an individual channel. If you don't and someone runs the channel fader up higher you can experience a change in the mix and possibly feedback. You want to think of your monitor send as a completely different mixer that YOU have total control over. Do what ever you want to the mains, it wont effect you. That way you stay happy on stage with your monitor mix.

That board, with the switch on the Aux buss, will let you have 2 monitor mixes using the Mon output and Aux1 output. They can both be Pre Fader or 1 Pre and 1 Post. You choose. The FX is a separate Send.

Monkus
November 15th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Spud you're the best, I think I'm finally understanding this now. So the returns from the snake go into the Aux Sends at the top of the board, then I take the outs from snake stageside into the wedges? Will that be the same for the Mon out?

Quick and dirty Diagram:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_96594ce186b142a36.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1824)

If the Mon out works the same way, will the Aux sends still control volumes?

Thanks again Spud !

markb
November 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM
That's about it. Connect a line on the snake to Aux (or mon) send, and chain up your monitors at the stage end. If you have a master send control it will become master volume for that Aux bus and thus your monitors. This is so much harder to write than it would be to show you :(

When you say "monitor" are you talking about a control room monitor output? That's usually fed from the mains.

Spudman
November 15th, 2010, 03:27 PM
http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/71180_l.jpg

If you want to hear FX in your monitors then use Aux Send #2 and chain your powered monitors together on stage. Use the little gray button to engage this function. If you want just a dry signal then use Aux Send #1 to your monitors, or don't engage the gray button to keep Aux Output #2 dry.

And to give you more options - You can use the Control Room Outs on the back of the mixer to send a signal that will be identical to your Main L-R outputs. Just another option. This mix will change with fader movement so you'll have to be careful of feedback if going to a monitor system. You can also use these outputs to record.

Monkus
November 15th, 2010, 08:40 PM
@MarkB Got it. Monitors = stage wedges. I use the main outs to go to the church's house system.

@Spud Thank you. I have the model before that one, without the compressor on the channels. But I understand now.

"...or don't engage the gray button to keep Aux Output #2 dry." cleared up so much.

As an aside I was using the sub outputs to send the signal to the monitors, and just not sending the unnecessary channels. what you guys explained is exactly how it should be. Thanks again!