PDA

View Full Version : Recording For Dummies

Hogfullofblues
October 23rd, 2006, 07:04 AM
I've been reading thru info on the subject of recording but I guess I'm just challenged (in more ways than one) and hoping for some advice on the whole schameel.

What I got & think I understand:
A desktop computer, but it is the wifes (I have a laptop). Access is limited-tiny room with no room and have to wait till she is off it.
I can download Audacity and an MP3 thing on it though, and maybe use it to transfer something already recorded?
Lots of backing tracks downloaded, MP3s and MIDIs, but nothing convenient to play them on.
No microphones except the one that came with the desktop.
One elec guitar, one cable, one set of headphones and a Vox 30w Valvetronix.

What I would like to have:
Some device/s that I could use to both play/record backing tracks and record over. A rhythm/drum function is sorely needed as well.

I have seen multiple type devices (Digitech GNX?) that seem to offer some of this and more, and I'm sure there is more than one way to pull this off. The idea of consulting a salesperson at GC is way too scarey at this point in my learning curve. I know this is like recoding 101 simpleton stuff and a lot to ask, but any advice from GAS sharing budget minded Fretters would be more than appreciated. Christmas is coming and I've cleared my list of underwear and socks.

Thanks a bunch,

SuperSwede
October 23rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Consider this,

Depending on what laptop you have, you might succeed in recording audio but your best bet would be a desktop PC. Notebooks usually have slower HD´s and that is a important factor when recording audio (especially multi-track). Also, most laptop computers have low end CPU´s, also a drawback if you want to play around with plug-in effects.

Any chance of Santa stuffing a PC/Mac (MAC!) into your stocking this year? That way you could have everything you need to record (rhythm tracks, amp modeling) Check out my thread on Guitar Combos for a cheap but really good amp modeling software!

If you only plan to record one instrument at the time, you dont need a external sound card. Most modern sound cards can handle the low latency required for recording.

So a new computer could be the answer to your questions, I hope this helps you a bit on your quest for top notch studio recordings :)

Hogfullofblues
October 23rd, 2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the info Swede!
I thought getting to that desktop might be the best way - just have to work out some time with it. Guitar Combos is a great tip too.
But it appears I would still need a DI Box, which must allow the actual connection of the guitar to the CPU I assume. Man, I am so out the loop here. Research will continue.
Thanks again,

SuperSwede
October 23rd, 2006, 11:12 AM
No, if your computer is reasonably new you can connect your guitar directly to line/mic in a get a very decent sound. Of course, there is always better (read: more expensive) ways. A external USB/Firewire audio interface will give you a very good audio quality with low latency). Some external interfaces even comes with free software.

zeusse
October 25th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I'm using the Digitech GNX4 and have found it quite versatile for everything I need comes Pro Tracks Plus and Lexicon Patheon Reverb plug in. Don't know where you live but I got mine for around 700CDN dollars but have seen them on ebay for around 400US. I have a couple of tunes posted on here that will give you an idea of what you can do with it and a computer....oh yeah and your guitar.....There is also the PODXT to consider or the Roland GT's

Hogfullofblues
October 27th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Sounds excellent as does your playing!
That may be the way I end up going as recent experiments have revealed that not only do I have GAS, but a hopeless sound card and the dreaded latency. There still may be some hope for this desktop though, so I will keep at it for now.
Thanks,