PDA

View Full Version : Stock Agile AL 3100

Duffy
November 16th, 2010, 08:48 AM
This is my Agile 3100 flammed cherry burst double bound. This is a great guitar stock. The pickups sound great and I do not plan to upgrade them. The finish is great and the general build quality is superior to many guitars costing much more. The neck is big and round and chunky - it feels great and plays super great. I like the chunky neck, much more chunky than my Epiphone Standards or other LP type guitars:

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae84/Duffy49/Guitar/Agile262.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae84/Duffy49/Guitar/Agile266.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae84/Duffy49/Guitar/Agile263.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae84/Duffy49/Guitar/Agile267.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae84/Duffy49/Guitar/Agile260.jpg

ZMAN
November 16th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Glad to see it worked.
That is a sweet looking LP Duff. I am a sucker for HC Burst. Nice subtle flame.

Duffy
November 16th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks Zman. That is my best all around LP style guitar I have including ones with real Seymour Duncans in them.

Actually this was a dry run for the pictures I'm going to take of my Black Top and a couple other guitars I bought recently, even though it is raining today and the sun is not shining. I will have to rig up some photo plan.

ZMAN
November 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM
You should move up here. The sun is so bright I can hardly see the computer screen. Rain later today, coming from the South. Thanks alot!

Duffy
November 16th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Yeah. My ancestors are from Canada. My Dad's uncle was a Monsigneur at Saint Anne de Beaupre, retired there. We used to visit him during the summers.

A close friend of mine has a big lodge and a few cabins on Pipestone Lake in Western Ontario, above International Falls a hundred miles or so. Accessible by water only via a 17 mile boat trip, or float plane. The place is awesome and the area is beautiful. Walleyes and Notherns, big Northerns. He is very lucky to have inherited this lodge. Ontario is beautiful.

Are you North of Watertown, NY? Or farther West?

When "Old Man Winter" blows that North Wind down out of the Arctic, you have to love it. I've been in -45F straight up on the thermometer, no wind chill over twice in my life, lived in Minnesota and grew up in Lake George, NY. That's fun to be out in if you have the right clothes, coat, and boots; not to mention a new battery in your car or truck. Separates the men from the boys.

That Agile is a cool guitar. I wouldn't mind getting a black with gold trim version.

Jimi75
November 16th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Great looking guitar! The body looks pretty fat. A real cool guitar!

Duffy
November 16th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Yeah Jimi, it has some mass to it. Best LP type guitar I own.

Do the Agiles show up in Germany? The guy has a website called rondomusic.com, no affilliation. Not sure how far he ships but he might make arrangements. He answers his emails very promptly.

Appreciate the compliment on the Agile.

Brian Krashpad
November 16th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Looks great! I have an Agile SG (Valkyrie) with P-90's. Unfortunately financial sitch is causing me to sell, but it's a nice guitar-- I sold my Epi SG when I got the Agile.

Tig
November 16th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Beautiful Agile!
:AOK

Monkus
November 16th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Sweet !

ZMAN
November 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah. My ancestors are from Canada. My Dad's uncle was a Monsigneur at Saint Anne de Beaupre, retired there. We used to visit him during the summers.

A close friend of mine has a big lodge and a few cabins on Pipestone Lake in Western Ontario, above International Falls a hundred miles or so. Accessible by water only via a 17 mile boat trip, or float plane. The place is awesome and the area is beautiful. Walleyes and Notherns, big Northerns. He is very lucky to have inherited this lodge. Ontario is beautiful.

Are you North of Watertown, NY? Or farther West?

When "Old Man Winter" blows that North Wind down out of the Arctic, you have to love it. I've been in -45F straight up on the thermometer, no wind chill over twice in my life, lived in Minnesota and grew up in Lake George, NY. That's fun to be out in if you have the right clothes, coat, and boots; not to mention a new battery in your car or truck. Separates the men from the boys.

That Agile is a cool guitar. I wouldn't mind getting a black with gold trim version.
I am about 11 miles from the border.
Near Niagara Falls Ontario. I have been to Watertown. I took a leisurely holiday trip on the backroads of Upstate NY about 20 or so years ago. Watertown, Lake Placid, and several others. A really nice trip.
We are between the Great Lakes, Ontario and Erie. Buffalo gets dumped on with snow and we get nothing. It is a pretty nice climate. We do get snow but not a lot. We are Gardeners and we have plants in secluded spots in our garden that are native to South Carolina, and they grow year round.
On average we are 2 degrees F warmer than anywhere else in Southern Ontario.
Will keep my eye on Rondo for sales. I like the price you paid.
My god Duff I just looked up Pipestone lake and it is about 800 to a 1000 miles North West of me. That is way above Lake Superior. That is pristine country. You could drink the water in the lake and probably most of the fish have never seen a lure before.

Blaze
November 16th, 2010, 11:41 AM

Off topic but :St Anne de beaupré is in the Quebec city area and very popular with Churchpeople..

http://www.ssadb.qc.ca/

By the way , great lookin axe man ... Clip . Clip..

MAXIFUNK
November 16th, 2010, 01:07 PM
very nice guitar congrats.

progrmr
November 16th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I'm torn between one of these Agile LP's or this:

http://www.rondomusic.com/eg6cusbk.html

Eric
November 16th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I'm torn between one of these Agile LP's or this:

http://www.rondomusic.com/eg6cusbk.html
That does look cool, but...

1) It's SX, which is lower quality and made in China
2) IMO, Agile (and Rondo) in general really excels when it comes to Les Paul style guitars. I think that's what made them quasi-famous. Point being, I still think their LPs are their best bets.

progrmr
November 16th, 2010, 02:23 PM
That does look cool, but...

1) It's SX, which is lower quality and made in China
2) IMO, Agile (and Rondo) in general really excels when it comes to Les Paul style guitars. I think that's what made them quasi-famous. Point being, I still think their LPs are their best bets.

Always a risk - but I got an SX shortscale bass that is excellent for $149. I did have an Agile AL-3000 for awhile - it was a great guitar but they are heavy as boat anchors lol! That's the only thing I don't like about them. Still, I love me some LP sound :)

Ch0jin
November 16th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks Zman. That is my best all around LP style guitar I have including ones with real Seymour Duncans in them.

Actually this was a dry run for the pictures I'm going to take of my Black Top and a couple other guitars I bought recently, even though it is raining today and the sun is not shining. I will have to rig up some photo plan.

Great looking Guitar! As this was a dry run for more pix, may I offer some suggestions? Just two things to think about really. Firstly consider the background. Is it too "busy"? Meaning basically, are there are too many colours and shapes distracting my eye from the subject. If less than ideal backgrounds are forced upon you, then you can use a narrow DOF to blur the background whilst shooting, or you can use some editing tricks like de-saturating the background or even adding lens blur to simulate Bokeh (The blurred background effect you get from a narrow DOF).

Secondly don't be afraid to get real up close and personal. Fill the frame with the subject till it's spilling out the sides. You'll get some great shots that way. That's probably my number one photography tip actually, simply, "Get Closer"

Duffy
November 16th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Zman, been to Niagra Falls park area, falls area, about ten times so far. Lived as a kid on Upper Peninsula of Michigan and later Northern Minnesota and used to frequently travel "over" the top of the Great Lakes, up the Saint Lawrence and into New York that way. All the way from Duluth, Mn to Lake George, NY. Long ride back then with no where near the super highways of today, but all of the construction along the way of them building them. Above Lake Superior and Lake Huron is beautiful country, back then very wildernesslike, except for abberations like around Sudbury, Canada where nothing would grow on the hillsides for miles around and everything was covered with orange dust from the nickel mines, long since closed I hear. It's the type of place you never forget and my friend is very aware of the beautiful lodge he owns, dock right on Pipestone lake, log cabins, big lodge and all. You can take a canoe up into the surrounding lakes via small streams and portages and those fish probably really haven't seen a lure. Huge Northerns in Pipestone Lake.

Blaze, yes that is beautiful around Quebec City. These places get very very cold, apparently quite different from the climate zone Zman is tucked into.

Progrmr, that is a nice Gibson semi hollow copy SX. Did you see this similar Agile one, no affln?

http://www.rondomusic.com/as280blkchhw.html

or this

http://www.rondomusic.com/product3265.html

Costs more but the last Agile has a bigsby and Alnico V pickups. I bought an Agile AL 2000 with ceramic humbuckers for Charity's grandson, with a Peavey Royal 8 tube amp. It is 225 and is very well built, a great guitar for the money; something we were proud to give as a gift. Was built better, played better and sounded better than the comparably priced guitarfetish Xavier XV500 I bought. Way better attention to detail with the Agile than the Xavier. I have a couple very nice inexpensive SX guitars that I won't sell.

Duffy
November 16th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Chojin, thanks for the tips. I used to get into depth of field a lot back before digital cameras, but recently I bought a Nikon D5000 and a couple lenses, so I can get back into some more creative photos.

This Agile plays real well, by the way.

progrmr
November 16th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Yes - I did see the 820, very nice and still well within my price range.

I miss my LP though - the 2000 reviewed on Youtube does well enough. I kinda see a LP like a Strat IE you have to have one in the stable :)

Eric
November 16th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I kinda see a LP like a Strat IE you have to have one in the stable :)
Funny you should say that. I'm not sure if I'll ever own a strat again. Never say never, but they just don't appeal to me for some reason.

Duffy
November 16th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I agree with Eric that the quality is with the Agiles, but budget is important too.

As far as the Agile LP's, the AL 2000 we got for Charity's grandson does not sound at all like my AL 3100. I think it is the big neck and alnico V pickups on the 3100, but may be more to it. The 3100 sounds WAY better than the 2000 that I bought. The 2000 has a maple neck set to a mahogany body. I think that is part of the tonal difference. Lately I think the neck has a lot more to do with tone than I had previously thought.

I grabbed my class A 3100 for 299 on sale, still a little more than a 2000. But if the budget calls for it you get what works and try to get the best quality, at least that's what I do. With this in mind the 2000 is a good deal for a great inexpensive guitar. The one we bought was great but brighter than my mahogany necked LP type guitars. Of course that could have been the cheap stock strings. I bought the strings and gave them to him with a bunch of effects pedals, but should have restrung it. I figured he'd break a string or two before too long so I didn't. He is 16 and has a buddy guitar player that is supposedly teaching him. I keep encouraging his mother to get him a teacher.

ZMAN
November 16th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I talked to Kurt at Rondo today by email and he says they don't have sales.
Ah I am sorry but I hear about them all the time. Duffy: Did you get your Agile from Rondo or was it a used guitar. I thought you could only get Agiles new from Rondo.

Duffy
November 16th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I bought my Agile AL 3100 brand new from rondomusic.com, no affln.

They may not have sales but on the homepage you will see "New items and Specials", mine was listed under Specials, at a special price one hundred dollars less than regular price for other colors, etc. They had a few chambered ones on Special at the same time for way less than normal price for other colors.

I usually watch the "New Items and Specials" and see some good deals, but I may pay full price for my next one. One thing I noticed is that guitarfetish and their Xavier guitar line seem to be flamboyant and extravagant in describing their guitars, where the Agiles seem to have clear cut descriptions and stand for themselves in terms of very high quality, with absolutely no hot air.

Eric
November 16th, 2010, 07:03 PM
One thing I noticed is that guitarfetish and their Xavier guitar line seem to be flamboyant and extravagant in describing their guitars, where the Agiles seem to have clear cut descriptions and stand for themselves in terms of very high quality, with absolutely no hot air.
+1 on that! I have definitely noticed the same thing with guitarfetish.com.

ZMAN
November 16th, 2010, 09:03 PM
That is what I heard. I hear guys all the time talking about lower prices. I guess they don't like the word "sale". Ok we will substitute, "special" .
Works for me.

NWBasser
November 17th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I bought my Agile AL 3100 brand new from rondomusic.com, no affln.

They may not have sales but on the homepage you will see "New items and Specials", mine was listed under Specials, at a special price one hundred dollars less than regular price for other colors, etc. They had a few chambered ones on Special at the same time for way less than normal price for other colors.

I usually watch the "New Items and Specials" and see some good deals, but I may pay full price for my next one. One thing I noticed is that guitarfetish and their Xavier guitar line seem to be flamboyant and extravagant in describing their guitars, where the Agiles seem to have clear cut descriptions and stand for themselves in terms of very high quality, with absolutely no hot air.

Duffy, I think your description of Guitarfetish ad copy is pretty close to Gibson as well.

How does the Agile AL3100 compare to an Epiphone LP Standard?

FrankenFretter
November 17th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Duffy, I think that the brightness you hear in the AL2K is probably a combo of the maple neck and the ceramic pups. The Alnico pickups that come stock on the AL3x00s sound great, I agree. With the ceramics, you're more likely to have a less "warm" sound, due to the Alnico magnets having what's described as a "tone-rounding" effect...hence the warmer tone.

By the way, I think you need to update your sig; don't you have something like double the amount of guitars listed there now? ;-)

Duffy
November 17th, 2010, 05:46 PM
NWbasser, I think the Agile AL 3100 is superior to my Epi LP Standard with Seymour Duncan's - Jazz in neck, JB in bridge, Hot Rodded set; as well as my amber Epi LP Standard Plus Top with nickel covered Seymour Duncan's - 59 in the neck and JB in the bridge, although this is a very good guitar nevertheless. The Agile has binding top and bottom and an ebony fretboard, seems very well built, has binding everywhere, looks great, has a great thick neck and has real good tone with the stock pickups. Didn't think I would like a thick neck and wasn't expecting it but it feels great to play and the chords just fall into place effortlessly. I think that is one of the tests I give a guitar I play in a store, how smoothly and effortlessly am I able to play otherwise difficult chords. Some guitars are easy and some are difficult to chord on. Probably has to do with individual hands, but maybe not. Could be just a quality of the neck design issue.

So yeah, the higher end Agiles seem to me to be nicer guitars than the standard Epi LPs and below.

I am mainly only showing my upgraded collection now and there are a couple I should add. I'm selling some of my older, lower quality guitars. I even gave one away, it was moded too.

eichaan
November 17th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Nice looking guitar! I have had an AL-3000 goldtop for about 4 years now and it is a very nice guitar. It stays in tune well, the P-90's are great and the guitar is overall surprisingly nice for the $369 retail price.

I like the 3100's but I can't get past the feeling that an inlay on the 1st fret would screw me up!

Here's a pic of mine:

http://www.ethanlewis.org/gtr00/pics/agile.jpg

MAXIFUNK
November 17th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Question has any of you gents ever had a bad experience with an Agile guitar?

Eric
November 18th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Question has any of you gents ever had a bad experience with an Agile guitar?
Umm...not bad, necessarily. I've left mine hanging on the wall recently while I try to recalibrate myself to my Godin. I picked up the Agile again last night to try it out, and was reminded that it is one heavy SOB, even by LP standards. Also, I really do like the Seymour Duncan pickups in my Godin a lot more. They seem to respond better to volume and tone adjustments.

So no, not really a bad experience, though now that I've been 'seeing someone else', the weaknesses of the Agile are a little more apparent. It's still a crazy good deal for $400 or whatever they cost.

ZMAN
November 18th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Nice looking guitar! I have had an AL-3000 goldtop for about 4 years now and it is a very nice guitar. It stays in tune well, the P-90's are great and the guitar is overall surprisingly nice for the $369 retail price.

I like the 3100's but I can't get past the feeling that an inlay on the 1st fret would screw me up!

Here's a pic of mine:

http://www.ethanlewis.org/gtr00/pics/agile.jpg
I have a couple of P90 guitars and I was wondering what your Agile sounds like noise wise? My Gold top by Vintage guitars is said to have "Stacked p90s" which is suposed to suppress noise but they are quite noisey. Humm cancelling in the middle pos. though. I do use a lot of high gain amps though.

Duffy
November 18th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Both of my P90 guitars are noisy, except the tele that is noise cancelling in the middle pickup switch position. Seymour Duncan, no affln., makes a supposedly quiet noiseless version. Probably well worth the money. Gibson does too I think, but I don't know if they are a retail item.

marnold
November 18th, 2010, 11:58 AM
eichann, if I were to get an Agile, it would be one just like yours. Very sharp. I like the idea of P90s even though I'm not a big fan of noise.

Duffy
November 18th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I agree with Marnold, in terms of getting an LP with P90's. I'd get the Agile Gold Top LP with P90's, definitely instead of the Epiphone. I really like P90 tone but the noise gets heavy under increasing gain, pedals, etc. That's why I prefer my one that noise cancels in the middle position.

I would like to get some noise cancelling P90's that still retain the characteristic sound. I would probably trust Seymour Duncan, no affln.

That is a beautiful Gold Top Agile. Also, I miss my GM110 that was stolen from me about two years ago along with a Highway One and a Gibson Faded SG. That GM110 was cool. I'd like to get a new one but they are hard to find new now.

ZMAN
November 19th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I have had a Gibson SG with P90s for over 40 years, and it doesn't sound half as noisey as the stacked P90s by Wilkinson.
My only reservation about the Agile GT is the triple body binding. That just does not look good on a gold top. Different yes, but regular binding would be enough.

eichaan
November 19th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the nice comments. I don't personally find the P-90's to be noisy, and as an earlier poster mentioned they are hum cancelling in the middle position. Part of the reason for me is that I usually play on the middle setting at low volume (4 on the guitar) only raising the volume on bridge if I want a more trebly sound or neck if I want something fuller for leads. There is little problem that way.

My first Agile was an AL-2500 goldtop that got a crack on the scarf joint under the headstock after about 10 months. I drove over to Rondo (they still had the store in NJ then) and Kurt accepted it back with no problem. Then I played about 10 guitars before finding this AL-3000. And since I had a $200 credit from returning the first guitar, this only cost me $169. So I would have no hesitation buying another Agile--they take care of their customers.

Zorba
April 15th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Just received my AL-3100 spalded root beer.....I love it. It arrived with a flawless finish, ready to play(no set-up necessary) and sounds great. This guitar looks even better than those on Rondo's website. I have been reading about Agile guitars for some time and for the price I couldn't go wrong. I've been an accoustic guy for some years playing a '71 Martin D-28 but wanted to have some fun with the electric. Rondo Music came through. Thanks to everyone who provided information on Agile. I'll post pics when I can figure out how to do it!

Tig
April 15th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Just received my AL-3100 spalded root beer.....I love it. It arrived with a flawless finish, ready to play(no set-up necessary) and sounds great. This guitar looks even better than those on Rondo's website. I have been reading about Agile guitars for some time and for the price I couldn't go wrong. I've been an accoustic guy for some years playing a '71 Martin D-28 but wanted to have some fun with the electric. Rondo Music came through. Thanks to everyone who provided information on Agile. I'll post pics when I can figure out how to do it!

I was very temped by the spalted rootbeer 3100. Nice to find they are better than even on the website.

Welcome to The Fret, Zorba. Feel free to tell us more about yourself, musical influences, gear, more gear, pictures of gear, etc., over at The Fret Players section:
http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php/13-The-Fret-Players