PDA

View Full Version : NAD - Fender Mustang I

progrmr
November 16th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I picked up a Fender Mustang I amp last night to replace my line 6 15W - no pics because everyone can find those, but wanted to post up a quick review.

Price was $99 - truthfully I felt like I was taking a chance only spending $100 on a 20W amp. I'm always looking for the cadillac at the pinto price :)

The amp far exceeded my expectations. There are 24 preset slots, although 16 are intended for your own settings and 8 presets that can only be modified using the enclosed software.

The amp models sound pretty good - there's a decent selection of clean and dirty sounds. As for the effects, the chorus is so-so IMO - it's usable and probably I just haven't spent enough time with the amp to nail down the sound I'm looking for. There are several reverb models as well that work well. Overall the sound is great for such a small amp.

The coolest thing about this amp that made me want to take the risk in the USB interface. First of all, in this day and age of manufacturers not including necessary cables I was pleasantly surprised to find a nice long USB connection cable included in the box. Fender +1. I installed the software, connected the amp and turned it on. The firmware had to be immediately updated and instructions were presented on how to do a firmware update. The update went fine, and the Fuse software started - basically this software provides and editing interface to the amp. It's very detailed and I haven't gotten much into it yet but the interface is nice.

I also installed other included software which allows one to record playing - and it looks like you can setup drum tracks, bass track etc. This software looks pretty confusing but I have no experience using anything like it so I assume I just need to spend some time with it.

Bottom is that for $100 this thing is a great deal - the USB interface was the real seller for me but the sound is very good and well above what I had with the Line 6. If you or anyone you know is looking for a cool practice amp point them in the direction of the Mustang I or II (40W). Can't go wrong IMO.

Jimi75
November 16th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the info. I have heard good things so far abotu this amp. I planned to buy one for my nephew for Christmas.

Brian Krashpad
November 16th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Reaction to the Mustangs seems good-- what is the size of the speaker(s) in them?

progrmr
November 16th, 2010, 11:10 AM
The 20W is an 8", the 40W is 12"

NWBasser
November 16th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I tried the II recently at the local GC and was very impressed.

Darn thing sounded quite good and really, really good for the asking price.

I think, with all the options and a good base tone to it, Fender has hit a home-run on this one.

If I can find the space in my practice room, the I would be quite nice to have.

I'd really like the backing tracks and recording capability.

ZMAN
November 17th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I have been reading some articles on them and the only thing they don't like is that they are 40 SS watts, that is more like 10 tube watts. You might expect to gig with a 40 watt amp and 12 inch speaker but they require miking with a full drummer and bass. Still for 199 it would probably be the perfect home practice amp.
I realize you are speaking of the Mustang 1. I was looking at a bigger speaker.
The demo I saw was for the Mustang II.

NWBasser
November 17th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I have been reading some articles on them and the only thing they don't like is that they are 40 SS watts, that is more like 10 tube watts. You might expect to gig with a 40 watt amp and 12 inch speaker but they require miking with a full drummer and bass. Still for 199 it would probably be the perfect home practice amp.
I realize you are speaking of the Mustang 1. I was looking at a bigger speaker.
The demo I saw was for the Mustang II.

ZMAN, I think the targeted use of the Mustang is primarily studio and home practice. I know I'd likely bury one of those with my bass rig in a live situation (just keeping up with the drummer!), but I don't think that's the intended use for it.

slow&alive
December 25th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Just to clear something up, you can gig with the Mustang II; if the sound at a gig was "obliteratingly loud", you could always turn down as a band ( IMO always the first/best thing to do if possible; and don't get me wrong -- I love loud and am a fan of Led Zeppellin, the band that invented LOUD in the music world); however, if a venue is on the "large side", you could simply mike the MII.

My point is the MII is very, very loud. I played drums professionally for 25 yrs and know this is the case.

The Mustang II is one of the best deals around. This sound equipment is absolutely stunning! The FUSE software, coupled with the new Fender digital modeling platform, plus a great sounding speaker, is why. I have never been endeared to modeling amps in the past...that is until now. I like everything about this amplifier and its sounds: the 12 amp models available, the effects, additional amp enhancements on hand, available presets to downloand & upload ( and your skills at sound modeling will be constantly honed for the better), the Fender FUSE community, etc. The price is kinda sweet too! :hungry

For me personally, I love my MII and am quite satisfied with it ( and its lovely weight of 24 lbs). Another very important point for me, it has bedroom volume levels down to a tee! BTW, I do not work for Fender but am thinking of buying stock in the company. :AOK

Finally, it appears Fender will be putting these out soon ( perhaps around Mar or Apr of 2011):
Mustang III Combo
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=9563337&postcount=785
Mustang IV Combo
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=9563509&postcount=786
Mustang V Head
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=9563525&postcount=787
Price projections for the above:
Mustang III - $299.00
Mustang IV - $399.00
Mustang V - $349.00 (?)
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=9579545&postcount=803

Batten down the hatches and clear the decks for action...this could get very interesting!

This is a killer amp -- no bones about!
And believe it or not, it does a fine job at impersonating a tube amp too!

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Katastrophe
December 26th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Sweet! Looks like Fender's "all in." I've said it a bunch, but I love all this competition in the modelling arena. Makes the products better for the consumer, and holds prices down.

Geoffrey Charles
December 28th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I got my daughter one for xmas and it is a great little amp.