PDA

View Full Version : A vicious rumor (or rumour depending on who you are) - Squier '51 content

Tone2TheBone
October 23rd, 2006, 03:51 PM
Someone is spreading a nasty rumor that the Squier '51s are out of production. Anyone else hear this? Will this make them collectors items now?

:)

Spudman
October 23rd, 2006, 03:59 PM
I saw that on another forum. I doubt that that would happen as they are popular fast selling guitars. But if it does happen be glad that you have one and that it may become more valuable in time.

Tone2TheBone
October 23rd, 2006, 04:05 PM
I saw that on another forum. I doubt that that would happen as they are popular fast selling guitars. But if it does happen be glad that you have one and that it may become more valuable in time.

Well...I don't have one. Someone is trying to talk me into one to quell my lust for maple necks.....until the time is right to get a JV Strat. At $149 it's tempting.

How many of you '51 players REALLY like yours? I mean really. Let the discussion begin. :)

warren0728
October 23rd, 2006, 04:07 PM
i heard the same thing....i think it might be true

ww

Tim
October 23rd, 2006, 04:15 PM
Could be a publicity stint for Squire to make slight changes and give it new "51 attributes.

Tone2TheBone
October 23rd, 2006, 04:18 PM
Well I spied MF and GC and they're selling their remaining stock with reference to buying one now before they are sold out forever. I guess it's true.

Iago
October 23rd, 2006, 05:32 PM
that`s what I was going to say Tim... I guess they must be coming with something new... maybe a improved "Deluxe 51" :D

Robert
October 23rd, 2006, 06:34 PM
Hmm, wonder who that someone might be... :confused: :rolleyes:

Get one! I love mine still. It's cool little guitar with great sounds and easy play. It's staple gear, guys.

Well...I don't have one. Someone is trying to talk me into one to quell my lust for maple necks

kerc
October 23rd, 2006, 08:08 PM
I love mine. Change the stock bridge and it's even better. :D

SuperSwede
October 23rd, 2006, 11:57 PM
Perhaps Fender plans to re-introduce this guitar under the Fender brand name?

Justaguyin_nc
October 24th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Limited supply at MF... Ahhh... a collector in the making.. The First Edition Squier 51 (Made famous by Robert Renman back in the early 21st century).. I can hear them talking about it come the 22nd Century..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-51-Electric-Guitar?sku=519636

Tone2TheBone
October 24th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Justa's right Rob. You better hold onto that puppy it could be world famous. YOU could be world famous. Almost as famous as Spud. ;)

I've been thinking....I could tighten up the tension on the stock bridge of a '51 by shimming the rear neck pocket and raising the saddle heights to make a greater neck angle. Fixable. Or get one of those GFS bridges like you guys have done. Question......is the body of the '51 thin like say on an Affinity body? What is the body material made out of? Basswood? Plywood? I wouldn't mind having a Blonde '51.

Tim
October 24th, 2006, 09:31 AM
that`s what I was going to say Tim... I guess they must be coming with something new... maybe a improved "Deluxe 51" :D

Or better yet! A Fender Deluxe "51 with H/S or even H/H setups.

Tinky-Winky
October 29th, 2006, 04:48 AM
The body is slim basswood.

r_a_smith3530
October 29th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I was just at my local Sam Ash 2 days ago, and they had three of 'em on the wall. One of my local guitar shops has at least a couple as well. I didn't notice any at Guitar Center when I was there on Friday, but then I wasn't looking for anything more than a gig bag for my latest low end acquisition (no, I won't steal this thread, go look in the bass area).

Rabies
November 3rd, 2006, 03:47 AM
Uh oh, fellers...'51s are now 99.99 at Musician's Friend. They're blowing them out...I'm getting two!!:DR

Spudman
November 3rd, 2006, 10:34 AM
Uh oh! Now I have to spend another $100. You are evil.

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2006, 10:43 AM
Uh oh, fellers...'51s are now 99.99 at Musician's Friend. They're blowing them out...I'm getting two!!:DR

Robert, or anyone else, can this guitar do a reasonable surf tone? My 9 year old might need a christmas gift, and is in to surf guitar at the moment (along with MxPx style punk).

Spudman
November 3rd, 2006, 10:55 AM
It will do almost everything. They are pretty unique and a great choice for a first guitar. I wish they would have been around when I was starting. Awesome deal at $100 with free shipping. Just get one. It may need a little setup work after you get it. They cut the cost there but you still get a great axe for the price.

Robert
November 3rd, 2006, 11:27 AM
Surf tone, I guess I am thinking lots a reverb and a whammy bar for that stuff. The '51 doesn't have a whammy bar. Otherwise, it can crank out almost any tone you want. It is bright sounding, that's the only thing. It doesn't to Les Paul tones so well.

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
Surf tone, I guess I am thinking lots a reverb and a whammy bar for that stuff. The '51 doesn't have a whammy bar. Otherwise, it can crank out almost any tone you want. It is bright sounding, that's the only thing. It doesn't to Les Paul tones so well.

I was thinking mostly of a good, clean, reverb sound. I don't think Derek needs a whammy bar. He will like the veratility of the humbucker later too, I dare think. Well, a good thought for Christmas. I'll talk to the finance committee.

duhvoodooman
November 3rd, 2006, 12:19 PM
Robert, or anyone else, can this guitar do a reasonable surf tone? My 9 year old might need a christmas gift, and is in to surf guitar at the moment (along with MxPx style punk).
You might want to check out the SX Strat clones at Rondo Music (http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html)for $100. '57 (maple neck) or '62 (rosewood) versions, with trem bars. Maybe even their "3/4 package (http://www.rondomusic.net/product754.html)"--a scaled down Strat and a cheap 10W SS amp--a great way to give the kid a complete starter kit for only $110.

Several Fretters have bought these SX Strats and have been amazed at their quality for the price....

Robert
November 3rd, 2006, 12:31 PM
Yep, DVM is right. Great quality for the price, and fun guitars. I'd rate the '51 a little bit higher in quality though.

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2006, 12:34 PM
You might want to check out the SX Strat clones at Rondo Music (http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html)for $100. '57 (maple neck) or '62 (rosewood) versions, with trem bars. Maybe even their "3/4 package (http://www.rondomusic.net/product754.html)"--a scaled down Strat and a cheap 10W SS amp--a great way to give the kid a complete starter kit for only $110.

Several Fretters have bought these SX Strats and have been amazed at their quality for the price....

I would probably want to get him an HSS set up if I did something like that. I think he might want a humbucker later. I'll look to see if there is one. Might be a guitar center trip to Boise in the future. I like to feel the guitars first. I let him play my Strat last night, and he did his Hal Leonard beginning Surf Guitar lick that he knows by heart, and just had a lot of fun. He is learning his first chords and likes to play the surf like and punctuate it with a big, loud chord at the end. Too fun for Dad. :D

marnold
November 3rd, 2006, 12:34 PM
OK, this begs the question given my Christmas-related question in another thread. Do I say "Forget my Tele" and just get one of these? I need to decide quickly before MF runs out.

duhvoodooman
November 3rd, 2006, 01:02 PM
Yep, DVM is right. Great quality for the price, and fun guitars. I'd rate the '51 a little bit higher in quality though.
Robert would know best, owning one of each. I just want to point out one thing--if you go with a '51, be sure to try the actual guitar you buy it.

I played two sunburst '51's in GC when I was looking for a guitar for my son, and they were both total crapola. I have to assume that there is a LOT of manufacturing quality variability in the '51 supply chain somewhere, because it's obvious to me that Robert or several other knowledgeable people around here with '51's would never tolerate the kind of quality (or lack thereof) that I encountered. Maybe they were Musician's Friend returns, or factory seconds, or whatever. With the '51 line being discontinued, I would think the risk of getting a bad one might be even higher now, as stocks are depleted. So as they used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Be careful out there...."

marnold
November 3rd, 2006, 02:10 PM
Oh, and AMS also has them (http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-FEN-325100-507.html) for $99 with free shipping.

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Robert would know best, owning one of each. I just want to point out one thing--if you go with a '51, be sure to try the actual guitar you buy it.

I played two sunburst '51's in GC when I was looking for a guitar for my son, and they were both total crapola. I have to assume that there is a LOT of manufacturing quality variability in the '51 supply chain somewhere, because it's obvious to me that Robert or several other knowledgeable people around here with '51's would never tolerate the kind of quality (or lack thereof) that I encountered. Maybe they were Musician's Friend returns, or factory seconds, or whatever. With the '51 line being discontinued, I would think the risk of getting a bad one might be even higher now, as stocks are depleted. So as they used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Be careful out there...."

GC has em advertised for $99, so I could go get my hands on one there and check it out before buying. Also, the Old Town Boise Guitar store has one in and they are a traditional guitar store, so I am sure would help with any setup issues and back any quality concerns. They charge $149 though. Have to see what my wife thinks about the idea for Christmas first anyway. ;) I could check out an SX at the same time. Derek could hold my Strat well enough that I think I will stick with a full size guitar. He plays a 3/4 acoustic right now, but a solid body is a different deal.

tot_Ou_tard
November 4th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Uh oh! Now I have to spend another $100. You are evil.
No kidding! I ordered one yesterday & then promptly cancelled it.

I know it is only $100, but I already have an HSS guitar & I'd rather put the money into upgraded the pups for that or into a 335 type guitar or a semihollow with P90s.

You guyz are evil.

Rabies
November 4th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Hey DVM...What sort of problems did you see with the ones you played? You are exactly the second guess I have been looking for. All I ever hear about these things is "Good, great, awesome." I never hear any horror stories. I understand that I'll probably have some set up to do on one if I get one. But did the ones that you played seem to be not even worth the time to set up or what? Could you post a small review?:confused: