PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tomorrow is National Adoption Day...

poodlesrule
November 18th, 2010, 06:39 PM
My wife, social worker, tells me tomorrow is National Adoption Day.

I think many state agencies may be coming out with events to promote child adoption.

Maybe an opportunity to learn about giving a little one another chance?

Other, related: From what I hear, the private adoption agencies are a regular racket, collecting insane amounts of money, and thus not serving society as a whole very well, IMO. In most cases the money aspect will trump the interest of the child, which is a damn shame, really, and it pains me, I must say.

Katastrophe
November 18th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Child adoption is a worthy cause.

I was adopted as a baby. Don't know what my life would have been like if I hadn't been adopted by my folks.

Consider it. There are kids who come from deplorable conditions, who just need a home, a place to sleep, love, and a family to call their own.

There are private adoption agencies that operate in a less than ethical manner. However, there are others that are above board and do a good job. Check with your local child protection agency first.

deeaa
November 19th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I wouldn't mind adopting a child if I hadn't my own ones already...it's my understanding though that it's very very difficult to adopt a child. You need all kinds of approvals and tests and whatnot and fill in forms ad nauseam and then you may end up waiting for years to get one.

Still, if I get richer when I get older, I wouldn't be against us adopting a third child, if we're too old to have our own by then.

Really, the only reason I only want to have two kids is I want to know I can give them enough support and inheritance; even with two it's gonna be difficult who gets the house and who gets the cottage etc, will probably gonna have to buy an apartment at least still so there will be enough to give to the kids when they grow up.

If I were a millionaire, we'd have at least 3-4 kids of our own and perhaps a few adopted ones as well, because then I'd know I can set them up well for their lives so they don't have to bust their backs just trying to buy a house or something when they have a family in turn.

Tig
November 19th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Adoption is among the most worthy things a person can do in their lifetime. To give a child a secure and loving home is also a gift to society.

Mrs Tig and I are are very happy to have made a difference in one child's life. Technically, he is our grandson, but in our hearts and in his heart, we are mom and dad. His life would have been hell if he wasn't adopted, but I won't go into that any further.

Despite the attempt to look "serious" for the photo, this is one very happy young man!
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/92254b0bf86cb3bba.jpg

piebaldpython
November 19th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Baby Cobra is 24 and just tearin' it up since her return to a life following her medically induced coma with 10.000 ml of Ketamine to re-boot her brain/nerves in 04/2008.

We went to JFK airport in NYC on 02/20/87 to pick her up off the flight from South Korea when she was 4 months old.....23 years ago!!

Adoption is a wonderful thing.

poodlesrule
November 19th, 2010, 03:27 PM
My wife worked at the state event (she is involved with the state agency overseeing adoptions), and we just chatted over the phone.

I asked her how it went.

Her: "it was quite inspirational... I' ll tell you about it when I get home. Do you want to adopt..?"
Me: "Hmm... what age group?
Her: "Probably an older kid - someone you could get into guitar-playing with!"

I know she would be a dedicated, attentive parent, and so would I, I think. Hmm.

piebaldpython
November 19th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Her: "Probably an older kid - someone you could get into guitar-playing with!"

I know she would be a dedicated, attentive parent, and so would I, I think. Hmm.

At the risk of stating the obvious..............about the git-playing.....or anything else for that matter.....while you may HOPE the kid likes what you like.....it doesn't always work out that way. lol

I'm an athlete.....I wanted my kid to be one too.....but my two-left footed daughter ain't wired that way.....we joke about it all the time.....and so I spent mucho time doing all these silly voices when we played "My Little Ponies".

Turns out that my daughter likes sports to a degree, she just can't play them. But I taught her enough to be able to hold a conversation and to know what was going on while watching TV.

She's a Brainiac Squared.....much smarter than she would have been had she gotten my wife's and my genetics. lol I'm no dope, I'm fairly smart....but the kid blows me away on most topics....scary, natural smarts.