PDA

View Full Version : Any Agile Valkyrie owners out there?

progrmr
November 19th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I'm less than 2 weeks away from my next guitar purchase. It's going to be an Agile - and I'm down to one of the AL models (3000+), the Harm 1 even though I have an Epi Emperor so that's running in 3rd right now, and I just started to look at the Valkyrie.

The way I see it, LP's get there tone from 2 things: 2 Humbuckers and a solid body of wood. I love the look of them and the tone. I don't like the weight. They are heavy at ~10 lbs.

The Valkyrie has the two humbuckers (although no versions have the Alnico V's) and is weighing in at 8.5 lbs. I like all that and could upgrade the pickups if I don't like them. The one bad thing I don't like is the strap button on the body at the neck instead of the upper horn. Every guitar I've had like that is front-heavy and the top of the guitar constantly wants to fall forward.

Does anyone have the Valkyrie and can throw out some feedback on what you like and don't like about it? I'm looking at the Valkyrie III in silverburst.

Katastrophe
November 19th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Does anyone have the Valkyrie and can throw out some feedback on what you like and don't like about it? I'm looking at the Valkyrie III in silverburst.

I think the Valk III Prestige is quite possibly the prettiest guitar that Agile offers, IMO. Outside of that, I couldn't comment.

pedalbuilder
December 28th, 2010, 09:45 AM
What did you end up with? I am looking at a Valkyrie - if you went that direction maybe you can tell me your thoughts on the guitar?

I would be ditching the floyd, making it a hardtail, and putting some P90's in.

Thanks!

progrmr
December 28th, 2010, 09:58 AM
No, I didn't get it - given the lack of responses and some other research I did I'm getting the vibe that they're not very good.

Perfect Stranger
December 28th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Wrong! The Agile Valk is an amazing guitar. You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer SG-type guitar.

Eric
December 28th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hmm. I must have missed this thread the first time. I think Mr. Krashpad has a Valkyrie II that he likes -- he had an Epi G400 and the Valkyrie II, and ended up selling off the Epi.

IMO, Rondo's bread and butter is their LP selection, and you'd probably get the Valkyrie if you were looking for an SG. Problem is, they don't look much like an SG to me. Those two things would seem to explain to me why not many people own them.

EDIT: I take that back -- they do look pretty similar to SGs, just not the exact same.

Tig
December 28th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Wow, I've never knew the Valkyrie came in silverburst.
I'd dig around the Agile forum for info.
Start with this thread:
http://www.archive.agileguitarforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=33126

pedalbuilder
December 28th, 2010, 01:35 PM
It looks pretty good to me. Hard to pass up for the money - they even have one in the closeout section for $200 . . . really can't lose for that kind of money, I suppose.

Decision time . . .

pedalbuilder
December 30th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Well I went ahead and bit. Can't lose for the asking price I suppose - can probably recover 90% of the cost on Craigslist or return it for the cost of shipping. Not too bad a gamble.

Perfect Stranger
December 31st, 2010, 06:33 AM
I'm sure you'll be impressed and fall in love with it. Agile guitars are amazing values.

pedalbuilder
December 31st, 2010, 07:08 AM
I'm sure you'll be impressed and fall in love with it. Agile guitars are amazing values.

Thanks! Yeah - I don't doubt it will be a good instrument. I'm absolutely in love with my thru-neck AL-3000M - a fantastic guitar. Now I just have to hope for patience while this thing ships . . .

progrmr
December 31st, 2010, 01:50 PM
Well I went ahead and bit. Can't lose for the asking price I suppose - can probably recover 90% of the cost on Craigslist or return it for the cost of shipping. Not too bad a gamble.

Definitly post your impressions...did you get the Floyd? Personally I'm a tunomatic/stopbar guy.

pedalbuilder
January 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM
Yep - I got the 24 fret version with the floyd. I am also a hardtail fan normally, but this was the one on closeout and it might be good to have one floyd-equipped guitar in the house . . . though I'll probably end up wood-blocking it when I get to putting the P90's in there.

It should get here by Wednesday or so - I'll play around with it and let you guys know how it is.

pedalbuilder
January 7th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Well - this guitar is definitely going to be a project. Out of the box this guitar failed to impress, but I hope I can bring it to life. I've already put a Hot-Rodded Humbucker pickup set in place of the stock pups. I am looking for a trem replacement - any suggestions?

progrmr
January 7th, 2011, 10:02 AM
What's bad about it? The pickups and trem? Anything else?

pedalbuilder
January 7th, 2011, 10:16 AM
What's bad about it? The pickups and trem? Anything else?

So the pickups are basically unacceptable - even for an inexpensive guitar. That's fine with me, since I planned on replacing them anyhow, but I was surprised at how bad they were. I expected them to be passable until I had decided on a replacement set, but instead I found myself with a soldering iron in hand within a half-hour of having first played the guitar. The Seymour Duncans were a huge improvement.

The trem is maybe not a terrible trem, but it looks the part. I am not real familiar with Floyd Rose trem systems, having only ever played one once before and that being a loooong time ago. The gold looks like hastily wrapped tin foil. It also looks fairly insubstantial which is a bad thing considering that it is the only point of contact for the strings . . . I will be replacing that with something like this: GFS Heavy Duty Dual Locking Floyd Rose Trem (http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-Heavy-Duty-Dual-Locking-Floyd-Rose-Trem-BRASSSTEEL_p_518.html) -- unless someone knows of a good way to turn this puppy into a hardtail (other than wood blocks, I mean).

The tone controls are, perhaps predictably, completely useless.

Also, and not entirely unexpected, the balance of the guitar is way off. The body is smaller and lighter than I expected and with the 24 fret neck, plus the placement of the strap button at the point where the neck meets the body rather than at the horn, it is really, really, really neck heavy. I'm not one who usually gripes about the balance of the guitar, but this is bad. I will have to work with strap positioning and such to see if I can make it work.

kiteman
January 15th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I would move the button to the horn that's for sure. Lots of artists did that.

ZMAN
January 15th, 2011, 05:55 PM
So the pickups are basically unacceptable - even for an inexpensive guitar. That's fine with me, since I planned on replacing them anyhow, but I was surprised at how bad they were. I expected them to be passable until I had decided on a replacement set, but instead I found myself with a soldering iron in hand within a half-hour of having first played the guitar. The Seymour Duncans were a huge improvement.

The trem is maybe not a terrible trem, but it looks the part. I am not real familiar with Floyd Rose trem systems, having only ever played one once before and that being a loooong time ago. The gold looks like hastily wrapped tin foil. It also looks fairly insubstantial which is a bad thing considering that it is the only point of contact for the strings . . . I will be replacing that with something like this: GFS Heavy Duty Dual Locking Floyd Rose Trem (http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-Heavy-Duty-Dual-Locking-Floyd-Rose-Trem-BRASSSTEEL_p_518.html) -- unless someone knows of a good way to turn this puppy into a hardtail (other than wood blocks, I mean).

The tone controls are, perhaps predictably, completely useless.

Also, and not entirely unexpected, the balance of the guitar is way off. The body is smaller and lighter than I expected and with the 24 fret neck, plus the placement of the strap button at the point where the neck meets the body rather than at the horn, it is really, really, really neck heavy. I'm not one who usually gripes about the balance of the guitar, but this is bad. I will have to work with strap positioning and such to see if I can make it work.
I recently bought and Epi G400 and other than the fact it needs a fret level, it is a really nice guitar. As with the Valk. it is really neck heavy though.
The pickups are quite nice and it does have the standard bridge and stop tail piece. I paid 200 and will have another 100 in a fret level. But the guitar will play perfectly. I will just have to find a solution to the neck heavyiness.
My guitar tech mentioned a suede strap, and even a workout wrist wrap to put on the bottom of the strap. He has used this in the past.

Brian Krashpad
January 15th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Hmm. I must have missed this thread the first time. I think Mr. Krashpad has a Valkyrie II that he likes -- he had an Epi G400 and the Valkyrie II, and ended up selling off the Epi.

That's correct. Mine was the P-90 version of the V-II. The stock pickups were fine, superior to the HB's on my MIK Epi.

I recently sold mine to a friend to help defray med bills, but there was zero wrong with it. Slight neck heaviness, but that comes with SG's, moving the pin to the horn would've solved it but it wasn't enough of an issue to bother with. The tone controls were fine as well.

Fwiw the buyer loved it.

Perfect Stranger
January 16th, 2011, 05:32 AM
I think you should just return it for a refund. Sounds to me you had made up your mind not to like to begin with. Of course, Seymour Duncans are going to sound better than pickups in a $200 guitar. And ALL SG type guitars are neck heavy, even Gibsons. Next time you want a Gibson, just spend the money and buy a Gibson.

sunvalleylaw
January 16th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I am still interested in the Harm for my son. I have heard on this forum and another a hang out, that some of the Rondo guitars have had some QC issues. It also sounded like the company was good about taking care of those issues. Any input? Derek likes the idea of the guitar, but it would really be nice to hold one. Too bad that isn't likely to happen.

Perfect Stranger
January 16th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Kurt has a GREAT return policy:

"If you received an incorrect item or items are received damaged, it must be returned within seven business days of receiving the item to get a full refund. Items may be returned for any other reason within 30 days of receiving but will not have shipping charges refunded. Customers that received the wrong item or damaged items may elect to have the item replaced or refunded. Only ground shipping charges will be refunded to the customer if returned within 7 business days. Return shipping refunds will not exceed regular UPS Ground shipping rates (not express shipping rates) to the customer’s location. If your you believe your return shipping charges will exceed regular ground shipping, you may wish to select UPS/Fed Ex to pickup, which we will arrange for you. Return shipping charges will be mailed back in the form of a check. Returns and exchanges will usually be processed within one week of receipt. If you elect to send items back on your own (not have UPS pickup) be sure to put insurance the product and get a return tracking number. Items that are lost or damaged on the way back to us are not refundable. Items that are being returned for other reasons will not have shipping charges refunded. These items must be returned in new condition.

Any items that have been modified by the customer are not returnable. Sheet music, software, CD samples, or any instrument played with the mouth such as harmonicas, microphones, etc. are not returnable unless incorrect items are received or they are received damaged.

We ship anywhere in 50 United States, Puerto Rico and Canada. We do on occasion ship to Western Europe: Customers ordering outside the US & Canada are also responsible for paying their own customs duty / VAT, which will be added to your bill on all export sales and is due upon receipt of order. Customs duty and brokerage charges (for orders outside the US) are not refundable for any reason. Orders shipped outside of the US and Canada are not refundable.

Warranty:

Items held for more than 30 days may be returned for repair or replacement AFTER receiving email approval. Return shipping charges are not covered under the warranty. Modifying item voids warranty. Items shipped outside the US and Canada are sold as is - no warranty

A copy of your original receipt must accompany all returns. When you return an item, please indicate the reason for the return on your receipt.

If you paid for your order by credit card, a credit will be issued and will appear on your billing statement. If you paid via paypal, a paypal refund will be issued. If you paid by money order, or check, a check will be mailed to you."

I don't think you can ask for better than that....:thumbsup

Brian Krashpad
January 16th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I am still interested in the Harm for my son. I have heard on this forum and another a hang out, that some of the Rondo guitars have had some QC issues. It also sounded like the company was good about taking care of those issues. Any input? Derek likes the idea of the guitar, but it would really be nice to hold one. Too bad that isn't likely to happen.

Steve, this was a long time ago, but when I bought my Valk on closeout, I wanted to pay by Money Order and knew that by the time it got there, they'd be gone. Kurt actually set one aside for me.

So far as I'm concerned he's a straight shooter, and I wouldn't have hesitation. These are factory-built guitars and Kurt realizes that some dogs get through.

Duffy
January 16th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Sunvalleylaw,

A lot of people like the Harm. You can possibly get all or most of your questions about the Harm and Rondo answered at the Agile Forum. A link is posted below for the Agile Forum, a great forum covering SX and Douglas guitars as well, in different sections.

Also you should be able to find out all about the Valkyrie SG type guitar at the Agile Forum. People that have them seem to like them. I have a similarly shaped LTD Viper that is a great inexpensive guitar, but I'm sure the Agile is probably way better.

Link:

http://www.agileguitarforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38

Note:

I visited the site tonight and they have a new forum format. It's possible you will need this new link to get to the new format, but I just clicked on my link to the old format in my Favorites and it took me direcdtly to the new one. Anyway, here is the new link, if anything changed:

http://www.agileguitarforum.com/forumdisplay.php?selectall=&fid=25&sortby=lastpost&order=desc&datecut=9999

I hope you find this useful SVL and anyone else that didn't know about the forum but is interested in Agile or SX guitars, or already has one and has questions or wants to read what others think about theirs.