PDA

View Full Version : Attachments coming up blank

jim p
November 19th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I got sent an e mail with someone having a problem with seeing the attachments on one of my posts and checked myself and the attachments are coming up blank? I don’t want to reinvent all the stuff I have posted even if I could so?

Robert
November 19th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Sorry, but we have discontinued support for attachments, because of the extra resources it demands from the server.

jim p
November 19th, 2010, 12:06 PM
So without the attachments the threads on modifying the Crate V5 and the Peavey Windsor will be useless if anyone wants to use them. Oh well.

Tig
November 19th, 2010, 12:09 PM
So without the attachments the threads on modifying the Crate V5 and the Peavey Windsor will be useless if anyone wants to use them. Oh well.

The attachments could be hosted by you somewhere else, and you can just place a hyperlink to that hosted location in the thread.

Robert
November 19th, 2010, 12:17 PM
A good way would be to host them on www.box.net - they provide free hosting up to 5GB.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

jim p
November 19th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Unlike Foghorn Leghorn with his feathers I did not catalog my attachments for just such an emergency. So even if the I still have the various files I would need to look through my old postings figure out what the attachment is then add a link to photobucket or wherever. So, would have been nice to grandfather exiting attachments and not allow new ones so old postings would still be OK.

jim p
January 3rd, 2011, 08:03 AM
Just as a thought if you go to the most viewed threads all the top ones are amplifier modification postings with attachments. So now without attachments they are of little use. Which means someone searches for information comes here and does not find it will they be back? So if you are looking to expand the users of the site this does not exactly work in your favor.

Eric
January 3rd, 2011, 08:26 AM
Just as a thought if you go to the most viewed threads all the top ones are amplifier modification postings with attachments. So now without attachments they are of little use. Which means someone searches for information comes here and does not find it will they be back? So if you are looking to expand the users of the site this does not exactly work in your favor.
True story. That really stinks, especially when you figure you've poured a lot of work into explaining things on some pretty in-depth threads. I would have hoped that future attachments would have been stopped but that existing ones would remain, but I don't know the technical details of it all.

I guess there's only so much we can do, but I feel your pain.

Robert
January 3rd, 2011, 09:23 AM
I understand, and I apologize. All attachments were accidentally removed after an upgrade last year.

marnold
January 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Jim, have you tried getting those attachments back via the Internet Wayback Machine (http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.thefret.net)? They might have those archived.

Duffy
January 9th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Bummer.

Let's do everything to not "dumb down" this fine site into something other than it has always been, like harmony central did.

I hope we can keep this site up to the outstanding level that it has had - a well earned reputation of having a great site.

This a a great site and I hope the new site retains the same sense of greatness and doesn't lose it's edge of greatness.

What should we expect from the new format? Is there a preview available to see? Is there a description of what we can expect?