PDA

View Full Version : Have you heard?

NWBasser
November 19th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Any standout bass players/bass playing in the last several years?

Most of my collection of great bass playing is rather dated and I haven't heard much of anything interesting in recent years.

Robert
November 19th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Have you heard Wooten?

CR6t47pV8Qc

My favourite is Gary Willis:

v-WNZ4640CQ

sunvalleylaw
November 19th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Pino Palladino.

sFgFFNXahcg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgFFNXahcg

ZMAN
November 19th, 2010, 01:24 PM
How about a little Roscoe Beck
aDHgI5Rg514&feature=related
WVUooONu8LU

NWBasser
November 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys.

My iPod is pretty well stocked with Victor's work as well as Marcus, Stanley, Jaco, etc.:thumbsup

I guess I was thinking more in terms of recent band/groups that may feature some nice bass playing. The Pino clip was great!

I guess I haven't really heard any full bands for some time with interesting bass playing (except the latest Plankton).

It seems, for the most part, that I have to go back to the early 70s artists like Jeff Beck, Lou Reed, The Who, Elton John, etc. to find really captivating bass.

Spudman
November 19th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Jonas Reingold - see also Karmakanic, Kaipa, Agents of Mercy, Circus Brimstone, The Flower Kings, The Tangent. He's not only a great bass player but superb at supporting the song and composing as well.

FJz-82hlXv4
3HayUbfkkRY

msteeln
November 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM
There are tons of superb newer bassists today, but just as truly good music is less appreciated by the current listeners, with it go the notable bassists. The new crop don't have the impact on me like in previous bass-heavier decades. Bass has kind of wimped out in recent times. You don't see anybody REALLY work 4 strings like Greg Ridley (Humble Pie), Leo Lyons (Ten Years After), Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath), or sound as good. They might be out there, but you rarely would know it.

NWBasser
November 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
There are tons of superb newer bassists today, but just as truly good music is less appreciated by the current listeners, with it go the notable bassists. The new crop don't have the impact on me like in previous bass-heavier decades. Bass has kind of wimped out in recent times. You don't see anybody REALLY work 4 strings like Greg Ridley (Humble Pie), Leo Lyons (Ten Years After), Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath), or sound as good. They might be out there, but you rarely would know it.

This is kind of what I was afraid of. I don't disagree in any way, but it's quite a disappointment that rock, in particular, is really missing good bass playing.

Spudman
November 22nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
This is kind of what I was afraid of. I don't disagree in any way, but it's quite a disappointment that rock, in particular, is really missing good bass playing.

I think one of the problems really is in defining 'rock'. Everything has become so subgenred these days that it's difficult to say who and what isn't rock anymore. For instance, Rush, are they Art Rock, Rock, Progressive, Hard Rock or what?

There are some really talented bass players these days but due to the state of the music business they aren't getting the promotion they used to in the past. Take Dave Meros or Richard Jones or Johan Wolert or Randy George or Colin Edwin, these guys are monster players and essential to their bands. They just don't get the press.

MAXIFUNK
November 22nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
New school

Marcus Miller: The gateway to the past since he's been playing since he was 16 with Miles Davis
Victor Wooten
Les Claypool
Richard Bona
Sam Sims

and my favorites from youth when I 1st starting playing bass:
in no order

Larry Graham
Louis Johnson
Philip Lynott
Jaco Pastorius
Stanley Clarke
Mark Adams
Ron Carter
Alphonso Johnson
Rodney "Skeet" Curtis
Morris Pleasure

I just Love this video melodies just abound in this track!!

iimMKWF7SK0

NWBasser
November 22nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks Spud, that Karmakanic was incredible! I was not aware of Jonas Riengold until now.

And a big thanks to Maxi for the Richard Bona, I do listen to him but hadn't heard that one.:thumbsup

I remember that Brad Smith (?) of Blind Melon is really good and writes a most of their the music.:applause

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Now I have some very good ideas for music shopping.:thumbsup

oldguy
November 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM
Stu Hamm. He can really play, solo or backing Satriani, among others.

j6LrVQwtcpI