PDA

View Full Version : My stepdaughter submitted her four year high school plan today!

Katastrophe
November 19th, 2010, 04:52 PM
It's hard to believe for us, but Older Kid Kat will be a high school freshman next school year. She had to submit a 4 year plan for the courses she'll be taking, and meet with the school counselor to go over the plan and see if it's a good fit for her academically.

Wow. I wish they had this kind of planning available when I went to school. She's preparing for a career in health and science, so it's heavily weighted towards anatomy, physics, calculus, and that sort of stuff.

They put her on the "Distinguished" track, and by the time she graduates, she'll have 24 college hours (2 full time semesters) under her belt.

I couldn't be more proud of her for making the decision to go all out during her high school years. She's super intelligent (only made one "B" grade her entire academic career thus far), and I know she can handle the courseload.

For extracurricular stuff, she's signed on for four years of choir. She's taken 2 years in junior high, and has an awesome singing voice!

Please forgive the gushing of a proud stepdad.

Eric
November 19th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Cool. Sounds like they're turning high school into college, which is weird, since I feel like college is being turned into high school more every day.

Anyway, congrats!

Jx2
November 19th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Thats great...congrats

Seems kinda of weird to have a what 15 year old plan out 4 years in advance imo. I wish Id had some sort of direction when I was in HS things might be diffrent for me now. I think the one thing you might have to do is to let her know its ok to change her mind or at least have a plan b. Dont let her beleive a decision she made today has to be her only option over the next 4 years.

Tig
November 20th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Be proud! She's doing great!

My son just started HS this year and is an A & B student. Much better than his ol' man was! I was too "smart" and independent to think school had value back in those days. Boy, was I stoooopid! One of my few regrets in life...

oldguy
November 20th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Congratulations, Kat, you've got a great stepdaughter!
I have one also.......she'll graduate HS next spring. BTW, she did the planning thing, and now has her college planned. (I'm proud also.)
It's so wonderful having a kid like that to raise, they practically take care of themselves!:french (JK)

ibanezjunkie
November 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM
wow your edu-system is a little posh across the pond =0

we just run headlong into whatever they make us do and come out with a sore face.

^_^

congrats

Katastrophe
November 21st, 2010, 04:50 PM
wow your edu-system is a little posh across the pond =0

we just run headlong into whatever they make us do and come out with a sore face.

^_^

congrats

Posh? Nah, not really. She lives in one of the poorer counties in Texas... Luckily, though, the school does have a good program for educating "gifted" children, despite the high teen pregancy rate, lack of funding for some programs, et cetera.