PDA

View Full Version : A Heavy Full C# Tuning Song

GREENMACHINE
November 21st, 2010, 05:03 PM
Hey guys,
I was mucking around with different tunings and I came up with this and I thought I would record it.

http://www.box.net/shared/6m9t6yruqi

Let me know what you guys think.

Many thanks,
Cav

bcdon
November 21st, 2010, 06:44 PM
The way the song started out I didn't think it was going to get that heavy that fast! Very nice! :dude

marnold
November 21st, 2010, 07:08 PM
Well, that was a most unusual backer for a downtuned metal tune, but I liked it a lot nevertheless. Brought a smile to my face.

Jimi75
November 22nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
That was a surprise, indeed. I wonder what you have been up to lately...just kidding :-)

I have recorded an entire CD with a drop C# tuning. It's a lot of fun to play this tuning 'cause it kicks a~~.

I like that backing track and I am lookig forward to hearing the first collabs.
I am always in for some good Metal and of course screaming solos that I can achieve with my amph ;-)

Good work! Thanks for posting.

:rockya

marnold
November 22nd, 2010, 01:37 PM
What gauge of strings do you use when you drop down that low?

Jimi75
November 23rd, 2010, 02:45 AM
What gauge of strings do you use when you drop down that low?

Hi Marnold,
You should use 10-52 for dropped C# tuning. You can leave your 10s on, 'cause you are only dropping a half step, just for the low E I switch to 52 so it's not that "floppy" when dropped.

marnold
November 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Hi Marnold,
You should use 10-52 for dropped C# tuning. You can leave your 10s on, 'cause you are only dropping a half step, just for the low E I switch to 52 so it's not that "floppy" when dropped.
Gotcha. Although, Greenmachine, are you in drop C# or C# tuning (as in dropping everything a step and half, not just the E). I would think that 10s would be very floppy in that case.

Algonquin
November 23rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Nicely done Cav!
I'm not big on the drum track used, but the piece shows a tremendous effort on your part. Nice transition pieces that flow well into one another, and it shows that you practised this piece a great deal before laying down the tracks.

Well done! :AOK

GREENMACHINE
November 25th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Hey thanks so much for all you guys nice comments!!

I agree, the drums track is a weird choice, infact I don't really know why I chose it? XD

I'm in full C# tuning, I'm using Dean Markley Heavy Bottoms Light Tops (10-52 gauge) I usually use Ernie Ball Heavy Bottoms Light Tops but my local store ran out of those.

C# tuning I'v found to be an amazing tuning!! Because its got that heavy detuned sound but its still really tight sounding which is think is important. Iv found it a pretty useful tuning for figuring out songs by ear too.

Thanks again for all your really nice comments

Ch0jin
November 25th, 2010, 02:43 AM
That sounds amazing!

Love the tone and the playing :rockya

I set up my old Squier for a one step drop tuning and used 11's. I now realize that was overkill based on these comments :) They were rock solid though. Stiffer than 10's at standard tuning from what I recall.

They did seem to add some guts to the tone though. I normally string 10-46 and it might just have been my imagination, but you know, more metal in the magnetic field and all that.

After listening to your clip though I'm definitely going to try those 11's in C#

GREENMACHINE
November 25th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Hey Ch0jin
Thank you so much :)

Iv found that the stiffer the strings are when dropped low the better if you're looking for a tight and punchy sound. The difference between full C tuning and full C# tuning is quite significant (through my gear anyway) as far as tightness goes, thats why I prefer full C# tuning over full C. And also the heavy bottoms I love so much for all styles of music as it gives the bottom end more thickness and tone. Definitely great for metal!

Give them ago :)

Cheers,
Cav

Steffe1973
November 25th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I´m not much for religion, but Jesus that tune was sooo cool!!!:rockya

GREENMACHINE
November 26th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Hey Steffe,
Thank youuu soo much! I'm glad you enjoyed it :D