PDA

View Full Version : Reanimated a man yesterday

Jimi75
November 22nd, 2010, 03:44 AM
We were in church in the morning and before the mess started, a man of approx 65 years just dropped from his seat. I immediately saw that something was wrong. A friend an I checked the pulse and decided within seconds that we had to reanimate.

It took 4 minutes until the ambulance arrived.

I heard nothing. Was fully concentrated. He came back once shortly, but then was gone again.

After the ambulance arrived, I was trembling all over.
Today the pastor called and thanke me and my friend. The man is under intensive care. The next 48 hours are very critical.

Had to share this with you. I am still a little bit nervous, but I am also happy that I made my first aid course only 2 years ago.

Tig
November 22nd, 2010, 04:03 AM
You did exactly what was needed to allow the man to survive and be treated at the hospital. No matter what happens now, you gave this man a second chance at life, and there is no greater gift.

I don't remember every patent I provided CPR to or helped with CPR, but none of them lived. Most were severe trauma or cardiac patents who had no real chance, but we always worked them so that if there was a chance, we would keep them going until the hospital took over. Some of the patents who had "shockable rhythms" were resusitated with automatic defibrillation units.

I've heard that CPR survival rates range from 1% to 15%, depending on the patent's condition and cause.

sunvalleylaw
November 22nd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Wow Jimi, you kept your cool and did what needed to be done to give him a chance. Not an easy experience I am sure, but I am sure he and his family were glad you were there.

Spudman
November 22nd, 2010, 09:35 AM
That's a very brave step to take. Good on ye mate.

Robert
November 22nd, 2010, 10:52 AM
Great of you Jimi! You probably saved his life.

marnold
November 22nd, 2010, 01:41 PM
Well done, Jimi! Which reminds me, I desperately need to take a CPR refresher course.

poodlesrule
November 22nd, 2010, 01:47 PM
Well done, Jimi! Which reminds me, I desperately need to take a CPR refresher course.

... or for some of us to take the initial course!

How hard is it anyway?

marnold
November 22nd, 2010, 02:17 PM

How hard is it anyway?
Not very. The problem with me is that my skillz are SO outdated that they are doing things differently now (I took the class back in the 80s).

Tig
November 22nd, 2010, 02:19 PM

How hard is it anyway?

So simple, even a drummer can do it!

http://www.deuceofdavenport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/animal.gif

sunvalleylaw
November 22nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
We have had some regular updates as part of the Scouts that my boys are involved in. Fortunately we have Dads that are trained emergency responders and firefighters and they are up to date. The new standards do away with the mouth breathing aspect and the focus is more on making sure the blood is flowing. Oxygenation occurs from what is already in the body. So going and getting a refresher (or an initial course) is really a good idea.

MAXIFUNK
November 22nd, 2010, 05:54 PM
Jimi way to step forward and lend a helping hand that's what life is all about.
Your good to have around during crisis. way to go.....:applause :applause :applause

Brian Krashpad
November 22nd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Sehr gut, danke!

Jimi75
November 23rd, 2010, 02:42 AM
Thank you for your kind comments.
The situation has more effect on me than I thought. I am developping a little fever. This happens always when I undergo extreme situations.

Tig
November 23rd, 2010, 08:14 AM
Thank you for your kind comments.
The situation has more effect on me than I thought. I am developping a little fever. This happens always when I undergo extreme situations.

Understandable. I get the shakes or emotional these days after the occasional incident.

When you do it frequently, you manage it better, but otherwise the impact shakes your foundation.

marnold
November 23rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
When you do it frequently, you manage it better, but otherwise the impact shakes your foundation.

And something to lighten the mood:
b9P_BM58A18

R_of_G
November 23rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Jimi, kudos to you for keeping your cool in an extremely stressful situation. :applause

Your story serves as an excellent example of why everyone should learn and re-learn CPR annually. You never know when you may be called upon to put those skills to use.