PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone Dot Studio....now NGD for me

Jx2
November 22nd, 2010, 09:34 AM
Any of you guys own or every played on one of these before?

As Ive said in other post's I watch Craigslist about everyday or two. Yesterday a guy posted he was wanting to trade one for either a Strat, Tele or something with P90. Ive not really played my Hamer SATP90 since bringing it home through another CL trade. So I emailed him, and Im suppose to meet him in a few hours. Ive always been drawn to hollow body guitars and have almost ordered a Dot several times in the past. So we'll see I thought Id see what some of you guys thought of the guitar while I wait to go meet the guy.

progrmr
November 22nd, 2010, 10:10 AM
I had the Dot Deluxe - it was a very nice guitar, good blues/rock tone and jazz too. The neck is chunky. Good guitar but I'm not really a fan of the chunky neck :)

Heywood Jablomie
November 22nd, 2010, 10:35 AM
I have a Dot Studio, which I'm very fond of. It's a factory 2nd, although I can't really tell why it was designated as such. I didn't like the stock pickups, expecially the HOTCH bridge pickup, same one as most Epi LPs. It has GFS Mean 90s now, as well as a 335 style pickguard, so it's been personalized to my liking. As it has 1 volume and 1 tone pot, I considered adding the other two, but found the simplicity of the controls to my liking. All in all a very nice player, and I think the Dot Studio is arguably one of the best bang-for-buck guitars out there. One really good thing about the "worn" finish is that it doesn't fingerprint or smudge like the shiny shiny poly ones.

Jx2
November 22nd, 2010, 11:47 PM
I pulled the trigger on the trade. Will probably have some pic's tomarrow, I got home well I guess about 10 hours ago with it and probably havent let it set for more than 30 minutes till just a few minutes ago. Have to say intentional recation is I should of followed my gut and bought one of these years ago. But lets wait till the honeymoon is over before I give a true opion on it.

markb
November 23rd, 2010, 03:47 AM
Dots are good. The Studio is a bit of a one-off being all "mahogany" and having master volume and tone. Didn't Gibson make a budget semi like this in the 70s? ES-325, maybe?? Where's my copy of Gruhn and Carter's Guide to Vintage Guitars when I need it?? Older readers, help me out here :)

FrankenFretter
November 23rd, 2010, 08:14 AM
I pulled the trigger on the trade. Will probably have some pic's tomarrow, I got home well I guess about 10 hours ago with it and probably havent let it set for more than 30 minutes till just a few minutes ago. Have to say intentional recation is I should of followed my gut and bought one of these years ago. But lets wait till the honeymoon is over before I give a true opion on it.

Nice! I played Heywood's Dot when he was over a couple weeks ago, and I really like the way it feels. He's got flatwounds on it, and it's exactly like he says, it has a good woody thunk to it.

Enjoy the new lady, Jx2! Congrats and HNGD!

wingsdad
November 23rd, 2010, 08:35 AM
... Didn't Gibson make a budget semi like this in the 70s? ES-325, maybe?? Where's my copy of Gruhn and Carter's Guide to Vintage Guitars when I need it?? Older readers, help me out here :)
This 'ol fart's got your back, mark... :goodjob

According to my copy of The Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide, '08 Ed., the ES-325 TD was made from '72-'78, Thinline archtop, double-cut, 2 mini-humbuckers, 1 f-hole, bound body, cherry or walnut finish, and it shows its U.S. market value in Excellent condition ranging from a low of $1,100 to a high of $1,400. A 335 from the same era, depending on finish color ranges from $3,300-$3,800, so that would indicate the 325 to be comparatively a 'budget' model.

hubberjub
November 23rd, 2010, 09:38 AM
I bought a Dot Studio for the bass player in my band. Actually I bought two. Both were purchased off Ebay. The first was faded cherry and the seller tried to sneak a headstock crack in without mentioning it. I returned it (after a prerequisite struggle with Paypal and Ebay) and purchased a mint condition gloss black Studio with a very nice gig bag. That was a surprisingly nice guitar. They can be had used very cheap. Both of the ones that I bought were in the 200-225 dollar range (including shipping). Enjoy the guitar.

Brian Krashpad
November 26th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Looking forward to PICS!

Katastrophe
November 26th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Pics r good!

Jx2
November 26th, 2010, 04:56 PM
When it stops raining, pic's will be added. Lighting in the house are terrible and you cant really see the sunburst finish in this light.

Jx2
November 27th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Here's a bad pic....I'll try to get more later.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/ja_miller77/Instruments/Resonator.jpg

Heywood Jablomie
November 27th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Wrong pic, huh?

Jx2
November 27th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Ooops............

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/ja_miller77/Instruments/Dot.jpg

rick04901
December 1st, 2010, 06:07 PM
Well, if it does as well as my Sheraton II, you've probably already declared your eternal devotion to this guitar. Plays great, feels great, sounds even greater, now that I've added a set of SD Phat Kat (Cat?) P90s. Holy Moley!:thumbsup

-Rick

omegadot
December 4th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Man, my wife is not gonna like me browsing all these NGD threads...