PDA

View Full Version : Which amp between $350 - $400?

Robert
November 24th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Which would you pick if you had 400 bucks burning a hole in your pocket?

Why would you pick it?

I would go with with the Bugera, because I've heard good things about it and never tried one. Plus I can keep the extra 50 for strings, and a strap!

These are prices I retrieved today from Musicians Friend (http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-2274513-10399762).

Did you know Wal-Mart sells the Jet City combo? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA2112RC-20W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier/15048471?sourceid=1500000000000003260420&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=15048471

sunvalleylaw
November 24th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Used Peavey Classic. Save the extra toward one of the CV guitars. ;-)

marnold
November 24th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I'd save $50 and get a Jet City. Oh wait, I already have one!

Robert
November 24th, 2010, 09:08 AM
No used amps Steve - you could only buy one of these above! :)

Katastrophe
November 24th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I'd go for the Jet City. Rawk rules!

It's really a toss up between the Bugera and the Jet City, though.

I think with your other amphs you have the clean tones covered... :dude

I'd stay away from the Windsor Studio... The one I played on was incredibly dark and muffled sounding, even with a single coil equipped Strat, no matter where I turned the knobs. I tried to turn the attenuator back to "0", and the thing still sounded like a blanket had been thrown over it, even when I turned it up. Just my opinion, though.

Spudman
November 24th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Bugera V22 of course. Since I've used mine for over a year now I can say that I am very happy with my decision to get it.

Otherwise...a used Classic 30...which I happen to have for sale (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=17013).

sunvalleylaw
November 24th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Ok, I voted Bugera. Not that I really know, I have not been through most of those amphs thoroughly, but I have seen lots of good things about the Bugera here and elsewhere.

Jx2
November 24th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Im not sure in the theory of this thread if Id go with the Valvetronix or the Windsor. My g/f was going to get me the Valvetronix 40, and I looked at the Windsor hard before getting carried away with a half stack purchase that I no longer own.

I say the g/f "was" going to get my the VT40 for x-mas only because Ive decided I want the Vox Lil Night Train instead. This little amp is only a 2watt head, but I really like the videos on clips Ive found better than the VT. Might even look to add the bigger brother at a later time if I like this one as well as the videos and clips.

Commodore 64
November 24th, 2010, 10:03 AM
G-Dec. I have a Peavey Bandit, A Blues Jr. and a Killer Ant. I need something with digital modeling, heh.

Spudman
November 24th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Which amp between $350 - $400?

Huh? Nobody around here plays amps. We play amphs! -2 for spelling. :spank

kidsmoke
November 24th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I was just admiring a new Blues Jr for 375 the other night. I'd have a hard time doing other than that. BUT from what I've read of the ones listed, the V22 would be my choice.

NWBasser
November 24th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I gave a very solid vote for the Blackstar HT-5.

I tried one recently with a Les Paul and the tone was beyond description.

I could barely bring myself to stop playing it. A true test of great equipment is when you want to just keep playing it.:rockon:

FWIW, my preferences run toward thick and heavy tones, although the clean sounded very nice too.

MAXIFUNK
November 24th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Well for me the Peavey Windsor wins this race.
British Hard rock tones the sponge knob sounds real cool.
I could care less if it has a clean channel My fender amp does that to the 10's.
If I every want to mod it there are some cool mods out there for this amp.
And of all the amps on that list outside of the Marshall, Peavey's reliability is as they come.

Katastrophe
November 24th, 2010, 03:53 PM
WAITAMINIT! I see only one vote up there for the Jet City... I coulda swore I clicked on the Jet City instead of the Bugera...

Well, change my vote, will ya?

oldguy
November 24th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I voted for the Marshall, 'cause I don't have one and they sound awesome.

bigG
November 25th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I voted for the Vox VT50. THE best modeling amp available, and covers the tone, one way or another, of the rest of the amps listed.

I have the AD50VT, and it's really all I need if I had to go down to just one amp.

Amazing stuff - especially for the price. Close enough for rock 'n' roll!

marnold
November 25th, 2010, 02:02 PM
WAITAMINIT! I see only one vote up there for the Jet City... I coulda swore I clicked on the Jet City instead of the Bugera...

Well, change my vote, will ya?
It's probably yours. Robert added it as an option after I posted :) I voted now.

Eric
January 4th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Hey Rob, having owned the Class 5 and Jet City at this point, what's your vote? Or more specifically, which of those two do you like better? What differences do you notice between them?

Perfect Stranger
January 4th, 2011, 09:48 AM
The Jet City is an EXCELLENT amp!

pedalbuilder
January 4th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I'm going Windsor Studio here. A lot of versatility.