PDA

View Full Version : Best of Alice Cooper

Spudman
November 24th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I was just thinking: what are the best Alice Cooper songs? Would you put just the hits on a Best Of Alice Cooper disc, or would you look for material that really shows what he's all about as a creative musician? Obviously his early band was incredibly talented and forward thinking. Hello Hurray or Cold Ethyl? That's what I'm getting at.

So which songs would you choose? (in case someone wants to put together a "Best of Alice Cooper" disc?

3 that I like

Halo of Flies
I Love the Dead
Cold Ethyl

guitarhack
November 24th, 2010, 02:24 PM
"School's Out" is still one of my faves. I loved that whole disc.

Radioboy950
November 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM
"Killer" is probably my favorite AC album.
Halo of Flies is a masterpiece.
Ballad of Dwight Fry (Love it to Death)
Killer (Killer)

These aren't the necessarily the radio hits, but I think they represent some of the band's finest work.

Katastrophe
November 24th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Can't have an Alice compilation without "No More Mr. Nice Guy." Also essential is "I'm Eighteen."

tunghaichuan
November 24th, 2010, 05:52 PM
This one too:

Qq4j1LtCdww

Jx2
November 24th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I think the Alice Cooper Greatest Hits album sums this up. Maybe do a new reissue version with a additional disk/tracks with songs like Poison.

For me, personaly

Schools Out
No More Mr. Nice Guy

Spudman
November 24th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I think the Alice Cooper Greatest Hits album sums this up. Maybe do a new reissue version with a additional disk/tracks with songs like Poison.

For me, personaly

Schools Out
No More Mr. Nice Guy

That's kind of what I'm after but not just the hits. What really exemplifies, to you, the best work of Alice Cooper. Not necessarily the hits. To me it seems that many artists have great work that never got to the hit/mass appeal stage and I'm interested in finding out which "deep tracks" might be on a different angle "Greatest Hits" album.

Jx2
November 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I started listening to Coop via his Greatest Hits cd, and for me. When I bought a album from that era I typically only liked the songs that ended up on the Greatest Hits. I did recently acquire the 2nd album, name slips my mind recently, and found it very enjoyable. But no one song imo really grabbed me like those. I did like Poison and a few other tracks Ive heard here and there that was released after GH. So I guess for me AC is just one of those bands that I admire alot and would love to see live. But doesnt have alot of newer stuff that really gets me excited. If that makes sense at all.

Spudman
November 24th, 2010, 08:17 PM
So I guess for me AC is just one of those bands that I admire alot and would love to see live. But doesnt have alot of newer stuff that really gets me excited. If that makes sense at all.

Totally. The original band had that magic. I've yet to find any of AC's stuff from the past 10 years that really grabs me either. I do have the DVD from the Trashed tour and that's a lot of fun to watch.

Zip
November 24th, 2010, 08:49 PM
"Mr. & Misdemeanor" from the Easy Action album. I still like the 'Pretties For You' album, too (I saw them touring for this album back when I was a kid in Detroit :thwap )

msteeln
November 24th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I was all about Alice Cooper THE BAND but never even listened to Muscle or anything past having seen them in the flesh and blood from The Whysky in '70, opening for Black Sabbath, to the Hollywood Palladium '71, The Hollywood Bowl '72, and The Forum '73. Every time I try to pick a fave from that era I fail, and now I've discovered outtakes and such from Easy Action and Pretties For You that are better than the LPs, so that's in the mix as well. Bob Ezrin made that band and once Alice went on his own it was never anywhere near the same. You gotta love a band that freaks out Frank Zappa!

Long live Glen Buxton :dance

Spudman
November 25th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Man, you've seen him a lot. That's pretty cool. I finally saw him 2 years ago and had a couple spiritual moments. Great rock and roll show for sure. Awesome entertainment.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/People/AliceCooper071.jpg

Perfect Stranger
November 25th, 2010, 07:12 AM
oxymoron?

Jimi75
November 25th, 2010, 07:46 AM
P O I S O N

That's the Alica C. song that was played at every party here, when I was young.

Spudman
November 25th, 2010, 10:43 AM
P O I S O N

That's the Alica C. song that was played at every party here, when I was young.

"Your love is venomous poison." That's such a great line. I dated a girl once that that applied to.

Kazz
November 25th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Ok guys....I once took my MOTHER to an Alice show.....how is that for cool? Of course she took me to my first concert ever which was 1979 and it was Kiss.

For my selections.....Hello Hurray.....Billion Dollar Babies, No More Mr. Nice Guy and Schools Out and I'm Eighteen are musts.

Teenage Lament gets an honorable mention for me too....

But....my absolute favorite Alice songs of all time are.....(and I can play it on guitar)Only Women Bleed.

kXW9w17Tf0A

I Never Cry is a masterpiece.

Kazz
November 25th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I may be the only Alice fan in the world who hates "Poison" tho.

Jimi75
November 25th, 2010, 02:54 PM
"Your love is venomous poison." That's such a great line. I dated a girl once that that applied to.

I think we all share this experience Spud (of course not with the same girl, hahahahaha) :thumbsup

Spudman
November 25th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I think we all share this experience Spud (of course not with the same girl, hahahahaha) :thumbsup

Well...with this one it's entirely possible that we ALL did share the same experience. The list is quite long. :D

sunvalleylaw
November 26th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I don't know a ton of AC other than "Schools Out" which we liked in middle school. But I do like this one that the "Dogtown and Z Boys" soundtrack turned me on to a few years ago.

viD-Xx2NUwI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viD-Xx2NUwI

There are vids out there with better audio, but this one has the cool skate and surf shots with it. The Dogtown soundtrack has a lot of good songs from bands that were not big hits, and are a good representation of rock during that time. I think this song fits that, and I list it as an AC greatest hit lister for me.

Brian Krashpad
November 26th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I like the early stuff. Under My Wheels, Is It My Body?, Elected.

Spudman
November 26th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Kinda cool interview

KLFRhD4VLlQ

msteeln
November 26th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Dug the too short int. Ezrin has so many tales to tell it's a shame he's so rarely heard.

Get Alice's book, Golf Monster. An interesting, insightful, and hilarious read.